U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 02:18 PM

12,925 posts, read 24,052,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I never spent $10-$20k on Christmas...ever...cumulatively...in my lifetime.
Ditto...that just boggles my mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 02:37 PM

16,700 posts, read 18,913,643 times
Wow... I pay only $1k for gifts but with the economy doing so poorly, I am cutting back and just giving them $100 in cash each this Christmas. $10-20k omg... do you want to be friends?? LOL...

Old 11-08-2007, 10:13 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,180,936 times
relatives sometimes use it as a competittion. Anyway, I am just saying it was how I grew up- I never asked my uncle to spend 10k at Saks. It was pretty disillusioning, though, when you realize things are offered, in place of a real relationship/love.

That was my primary point, and the reason I no longer shop for Christmas.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:27 PM

25 posts, read 136,077 times
I definely agree your point.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
Holy cow, all I can say is that I can't believe anyone would ever max out credit cards or spend 10-20K on gifts!

Thankfully, my family and my husband's family has never been into the mega-consumerism for x-mas. We give to charities in our relatives' names (like Heifer International--you can purchase a pig or a mosquito net for those in malarial areas, or vaccinations for a child, etc and then they send a card to say this has been given in your name). I knit things for x-mas. I buy things with special meaning, but not at all expensive.

Don't get me wrong--I could afford to spend a lot more, but I just think we all have way too much STUFF so I much prefer to give to people who really need it. Even w/our kids, they only ask Santa for one or two things. By the time they get everything from all their relatives, they get quite a lot, but it's NOTHING compared to a lot of kids I know. My kids are THRILLED with what they get and at age 6, my daughter already asks Santa to please help people who don't have houses and things like that.

It doesn't have to be about consumerism and not being about consumerism certainly doesn't mean not having a great x-mas!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:21 PM
dgz

800 posts, read 2,916,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Grew up competing, spending maxxing out credit to give relatives nice gifts

At this point I have a nice house, friends, animals and a full life. It is no longer necessary to spend 10-20k on Christmas junk that gets tossed in the garage 2 weeks later.

I wonder if anyone else has similar thoughts? I now travel with family to see other countries, it is much more fulfilling.
Yes, I had this upbringing too! It was my mother who perpetuated most of it. Even today, as I come up on my 50s, she still spends lots of money on lots of gifts, which she dumps on her children and grandchildren. In an effort to send as much as possible, the gifts are usually not personal or not 'well thought out.' We've all insisted to her that she send no gifts or just one simple gift, but she ignores us. Last year, I asked her if she would make a contribution to a charity like heifer.org on my behalf, but to no avail. And similar to yourself, I too, usually travel at Christmas instead.

I personally find that material junk really kills the spirit of Christmas. To me, Christmas should be a spiritual holiday where shopping/commerce is not in the picture. I don't have children, but if I did, I would introduce a different ritual/observation for Christmas. It would be connected with a more spiritual interpretation of the holiday it would incorporate aspects of Nature (such as the Winter Solstice) as well. As a Christian, it has often puzzled me why when people introduce their Faith to their children, the very first thing they do as part of practicing Christian rituals is introduce this Santa Claus lie.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:38 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,180,936 times
Things dont make life better, love and affection does- of course it took me many years to learn this-My uncle would spend/throw around wads of cash to the nieces nephews///it was distorted. I noriced some think I am complaining- and should be grateful-no, because he did this for show- it was not about caring.

The best thing for kids is to learn about what Christmas means....its not about getting that perfect iPod or that idiotic Lexus commercial when the parents giftwrap a car for their 18 year old------IMO this is rampant in the US, more than any other country.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:02 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,686,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Grew up competing, spending maxxing out credit to give relatives nice gifts

At this point I have a nice house, friends, animals and a full life. It is no longer necessary to spend 10-20k on Christmas junk that gets tossed in the garage 2 weeks later.

I wonder if anyone else has similar thoughts? I now travel with family to see other countries, it is much more fulfilling.
I hate seeing Christmas decor... or hearing the chiming of Christmas music... before November 24th. I know corporate America wants to stretch the shopping season out as long as possible but honestly...

I only focus on the people that live under my roof... everyone else can get their own useless stuff... bah humbug...

Old 11-11-2007, 08:26 PM

168 posts, read 1,057,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
As a Christian, it has often puzzled me why when people introduce their Faith to their children, the very first thing they do as part of practicing Christian rituals is introduce this Santa Claus lie.
I'm not Christian (I'm atheist), but all I can say to this is that you might change your mind if you had kids. The look in their eyes, the excitement in their voices...to think that you'd just tell them "look guys, the whole Santa thing is a farce"....and then they could tell all their friends and ruin it for them too? No...the belief they have in Santa is really so fun to see...I know some people won't/don't do it, but I can't imagine ruining that one.

As for not wanting to hear x-mas music before Nov. 24...I can't help it--I LOVE x-mas. I have to exercise great restraint to avoid putting up decorations the day after Halloween! Yes, I know it's way too early and my husband keeps me in check til Thanksgiving but I am itching to get into the season!! (For the record, I do have a post above which this does not conflict with--I don't buy much for x-mas so getting into the season for me has nothing to do with gift buying, but has a lot to do with putting on Kings College Choir carols, baking, singing and just generally feeling giddy)

Old 11-12-2007, 12:40 AM
dgz

800 posts, read 2,916,093 times
Yes, but you're lying to them--and it's not one of the many white lies that parents tell their kids. It's a lie that is being made in association with a religious holiday. It's like your parents are talking about the existence of God in one breath and then saying, "Oh and that thing about the existence of Santa Claus... neverrrmind."

I think that if you 'start out' by not doing the Santa thing, then you're not having to let them down later. And perhaps I was unusual as a child, but when I learned that Santa was fake, that was the moment where this general distrust of my parents crept in, because I started thinking, 'What other things are you lying about?' And yes, I really do remember thinking this way at that time. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
I'm not Christian (I'm atheist), but all I can say to this is that you might change your mind if you had kids. The look in their eyes, the excitement in their voices...to think that you'd just tell them "look guys, the whole Santa thing is a farce"....and then they could tell all their friends and ruin it for them too? No...the belief they have in Santa is really so fun to see...I know some people won't/don't do it, but I can't imagine ruining that one.

As for not wanting to hear x-mas music before Nov. 24...I can't help it--I LOVE x-mas. I have to exercise great restraint to avoid putting up decorations the day after Halloween! Yes, I know it's way too early and my husband keeps me in check til Thanksgiving but I am itching to get into the season!! (For the record, I do have a post above which this does not conflict with--I don't buy much for x-mas so getting into the season for me has nothing to do with gift buying, but has a lot to do with putting on Kings College Choir carols, baking, singing and just generally feeling giddy)

Old 11-12-2007, 04:18 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,735,784 times
QVC and Hallmark bring out their xmas goodies in July! That is past the point of ridiculous! Used to be that the day after Thanksgiving started the xmas season. . . not anymore!

It's all way too commercialized. People are already getting frustrated and rude in the marketplace; we usually didn't see that until at least December. They're racing around like it's already xmas eve! And they are mostly angry and rude...so much for the holiday spirit.

As far as how much $$ to spend. At work we exchange gifts in our department (we draw names), but the limit is $15. And the only other person I buy for is my granddaughter, and that is limited at $50. People are right when they say that most of the gifts are forgotten the day after xmas, or placed on shelf or lost.

I sure love my remote control so that I can mute the xmas ads!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living