U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 01:07 PM

1,299 posts, read 471,943 times

Advertisements

Disgustedman and Lacerta that's awesome of you both to give back to the community and buy a present for a child in need!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 06:43 PM

231 posts, read 161,633 times
Santa and Satan have the same letters in their names.

I'm just sayin'....

Old 12-14-2015, 06:55 PM

1,040 posts, read 815,234 times
I seriously don't understand why people have such an issue with how others celebrate their holidays.

Christmas isn't "for children", "for family", "for religion" or anything else. Those are personal definitions for your own holidays, not anyone else's.

If others want to stimulate the economy, they'll get no argument from me. Doesn't hurt me in any way. In fact, it helps me. More tax revenue in my community--yay!

If you don't want to see xmas decorations in stores in August, vote with your feet. I've heard of some sales clerks being yelled at for this--as though it's their personal choice!

If you feel pressure because of what they're doing, find a way to lessen your feelings, and just go ahead and do whatever you want to do. If you want to bake cookies only, go for it. Gifts are never required under any circumstances.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:04 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times
We decided to limit it to ONE gift per family member this year. We recently moved and our Christmas stuff is in storage, to difficult to get at. So, we bought stuff from Goodwill at 50% off, got everything for $20! Place never looked better. We used to be in debt every January, not this time!

Old 12-16-2015, 03:11 PM

11,429 posts, read 19,443,622 times
This thread or ones similar, seems to come up every year. A few years back I was reading a Robert Benchley collection of essays, and came upon one about this very same issue ... Dated 1915 or so. At one point there used to be a link for it, but I can't find it.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for feeling this way, but the universality of the feeling, and a hundred years is a long time for people to feel this way, makes me think there is more to this than what we see as wretched excess. Maybe we miss the magical part, because we now know WE have to make it, instead of merely experiencing it, like when we were kids.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:24 PM

5,119 posts, read 9,416,029 times
It's interesting, but before the coming of Christianity, pagans celebrated the Solstice--the returning of the light. After Dec. 21st, the light begins to return.

To those living in darkness, this natural passage was holy, indeed...

Then along came Christianity and Christmas. Look at our celebrations-- Christmas lights on the outside of our homes, Christmas tree lights--but it all harkens back to the pagan celebration of the Coming of the Light. Interesting that the purported birth date of Christ was very close to the Solstice, yes???

It takes a capitalistic society to turn this natural celebration into a time of buying mass produced gifts.

But we can craft our own observances, can't we? Whether Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhist, Hindus, or non-observers...

Our household celebrates the light--but not the urge to buy ...We just refuse to go get "malled."

Maybe you'll enjoy this essay on the topic: Solstice: Stay Close – Soon Comes the Light | Vibrant Village

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 12-16-2015 at 06:41 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 06:01 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,004,224 times
My husband and I donate to salvation army, I make a sizeable contribution to the local food bank and we split sponsoring a needy family with another couple ( coats, holiday meal, gifts and a gift card to the grocery store) I feel like we do our part. We are not wealthy we are solid middle class. I also buy our kids, and nieces and nephews gifts. I participate in a fun gift exchange at work and usually treat my two closest friends to a nice lunch. I'm sure many people think I overdo the gifts but my Husband and I work hard and I refuse to feel guilty that I can provide my children with nice things.. We celebrate Christmas because of our Christian beliefs and we continually try to teach our kids that gifts are just extra not the most important thing about the holidays. I will probably never have a truly frugal Christmas and I'm okay with that.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:29 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,508,210 times
My wife and I stop giving each other gifts 3 yrs into our relationship. At that time, we were just dating. We share money anyway so what's the point? Whatever I want, I just buy it for myself. What ever she wants, she buys it herself....it's coming from the same damn checking account. We are still together and Feb. 14, 2016, it will be our 22nd year together. Guess what? We both aren't buying a damn thing to celebrate it either on Feb 14th. What's the point? It's still coming from the same checking account. LMAO.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:18 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
My wife and I stop giving each other gifts 3 yrs into our relationship. At that time, we were just dating. We share money anyway so what's the point? Whatever I want, I just buy it for myself. What ever she wants, she buys it herself....it's coming from the same damn checking account. We are still together and Feb. 14, 2016, it will be our 22nd year together. Guess what? We both aren't buying a damn thing to celebrate it either on Feb 14th. What's the point? It's still coming from the same checking account. LMAO.

^^^^

Old 12-20-2015, 11:35 PM

17,995 posts, read 17,150,498 times
Trivia--

One of the reasons the Puritans came here was to escape Christmas.

They believed it was based on the pagan holiday of Saturnalia and they also didn't like the excessive drinking and partying that took place in England. So in the colonies there was no Christmas. It was a day like any other day.

It wasn't until the Puritan influence began to die out, probably in the early 1800s, that people started to celebrate Christmas. I read somewhere that the poem, The Night Before Christmas had a huge influence in promoting the celebration of Christmas.

(One year a cousin was so sick and tired of the materialism and pressures that she suggested that we escape Christmas. So we went to an inn out by the ocean in a tiny town. All we did was read magazines, watch tv, hang out in the big living room with the fireplace. Christmas day we walked around the town and all the cute little shops were closed. Other people were walking around too just because of the sheer beauty and charm of the little town. It was a very quiet, peaceful Christmas in Rockport, MA.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living