U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 11:40 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times

Advertisements

This year its downsizing!

We recently moved, and our heirloom ornaments, nativity scenes, etc, are in storage. Also in storage are our china, family heirlooms, etc. I'm starting to think our kids will inherit them, as we have no room for them in our current dwelling (the heirlooms, not the kids) I packed with that thought in mind. I packed carefully, and included notes as to what they were, how we acquired them, etc.

Meanwhile, we have decorated our apt with Goodwill decorations, and a small tree, total spent on decorations, including tree, less than $50.

Gifts are no longer the focal point of Christmas. We bought each kid ONE gift, that's it. DH and I don't exchange gifts. Like another poster said, it all comes out of the same checking account, and its difficult to buy something for another person.

We do splurge on food, at least I think its a splurge. We have certain traditional recipes we do every year and look forward to. I don't count the cost, but its really not much more than our weekly food budget, anyways, and we enjoy our feast for several days.

We go to a church service Christmas Eve, have our dinner Christmas Day, then, usually either go out to see a new movie, or, if the weather is bad stay home with a good movie and some favorite drinks, etc.

We're much happier without all the fuss and bother and expense. I probably will take the (adult) kids out shopping to see what the after-Christmas sales have.

Just in shopping Goodwill sales, I see a lot of "junk" people probably bought/gave as Christmas or other gifts. Trinkets, knick knacks, etc who needs hat? Just dust catchers
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 12:14 AM

11,987 posts, read 10,678,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
It's interesting, but before the coming of Christianity, pagans celebrated the Solstice--the returning of the light. After Dec. 21st, the light begins to return.
I bet the cranks among them used to complain that the solstice celebration had become too commercial and that others weren't showing the proper holiday spirit.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
My wife and I stop giving each other gifts 3 yrs into our relationship. At that time, we were just dating. We share money anyway so what's the point? Whatever I want, I just buy it for myself. What ever she wants, she buys it herself....it's coming from the same damn checking account. We are still together and Feb. 14, 2016, it will be our 22nd year together. Guess what? We both aren't buying a damn thing to celebrate it either on Feb 14th. What's the point? It's still coming from the same checking account. LMAO.
Not a particularly romantic approach but whatever works for you.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:41 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,506,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Not a particularly romantic approach but whatever works for you.
My wife doesn't believe in those mumbo jumbo s**t. We don't let materialism define our relationship. Hell, she didn't even want an engagement ring and threaten to kill me if I spent money on it. So we got two 24K gold marriage rings. She and I both pawned our marriage rings at the height of the gold market. Got good money for it too! LMAO

Old 12-21-2015, 02:59 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Christmas -

What other time do you sit in front of a dead tree in your living room and eat candy out of your socks???

Gotta love it.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:47 PM

22,702 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
My wife doesn't believe in those mumbo jumbo s**t. We don't let materialism define our relationship. Hell, she didn't even want an engagement ring and threaten to kill me if I spent money on it. So we got two 24K gold marriage rings. She and I both pawned our marriage rings at the height of the gold market. Got good money for it too! LMAO
It's the thought that counts. Every once in a while, my husband would buy flowers for me because he knew that I loved them.

We always exchanged Christmas gifts. They didn't have to be expensive...because it was the thought that counted the most.

One year, he gave me a very nice camera (I loved it!) and I made a bathrobe for him. He said that my gift was better than his. Another year, I knit a sweater for him. I didn't finish it until the end of January, but I wrapped it up, anyway.

He gave me as much, or more, than I gave him.

Christmas is whatever you make of it. To me, it means that you give something to others. I do it anyway, but I'm a bit more observant and mindful at this time of year.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's the thought that counts. Every once in a while, my husband would buy flowers for me because he knew that I loved them.

We always exchanged Christmas gifts. They didn't have to be expensive...because it was the thought that counted the most.

One year, he gave me a very nice camera (I loved it!) and I made a bathrobe for him. He said that my gift was better than his. Another year, I knit a sweater for him. I didn't finish it until the end of January, but I wrapped it up, anyway.

Christmas is whatever you make of it. To me, it means that you give something to others. I do it anyway, but I'm a bit more observant and mindful at this time of year.
I agree. And if Christmas for you is a time to enjoy time with your spouse and not fuss with gift exchanges, great.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:25 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,191,851 times
Just some random thoughts on the subject:

The Christmas tree, twinkling with lights, had a mountain of gifts piled up beneath it, like offerings to the great god of excess.”

Christmas stopped being fun or meaningful for me a while ago (just a bunch of extra responsibility, social pressure and stress) so I made the choice to just stop doing it altogether. Now December is just a month of extra free time and taking it easy; the best Christmas present ever!

Old 12-22-2015, 12:45 PM

948 posts, read 2,266,537 times
I just built a bit of a makeshift bobsled course thru the side yard - bought a new $12.00 sled to go with the others. When people leave out the side of my home I coerce as many as I can to leave via the sledding route. I suspect those memories will last longer than the sled. Max out a credit card? Nope. No jewelry, toy, tool or trinket or card will take the place of simple happiness created with a bit of fun with friends and family.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:24 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,506,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

About five years ago in the middle of summer, I spent roughly about $10,000 on a home theater system and when my wife walked in the house after work, I yelled " Merry Christmas!" Does that count as romantic or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living