Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 05:15 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times

Advertisements

I haven't cut back much...I was never much of a big spender and I have just myself to worry about so not much will change. I've stopped making uneccessary trips during working hours (I work in one location and turn in paper work at another). Instead of driving to the main office to check my mailbox and pick up info (which can happen several times a week), I now do it all in one trip-at the end of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 07:54 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
We do lots of shopping on-line now. Our truck sucks gas so we do any and all errands on certain days and do it all then. We even work on-line so there is no commute. There is very little, except food maybe, that you can't get on-line. Thank goodness for the internet!!!

Old 11-28-2007, 12:58 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I spend about $100 a month more on gasoline than I did a few years ago, and as a result, my shopping for other goods has to be cut back. I have cut back on clothes shopping, travel and eating out. Where have you cut back and when gasoline goes to $5.00 will you drive less or shop less?
I basically refuse to drive anywhere now unless I have to, so ALL of my spending has been reduced. We are also in the process of selling our house, and have found a new area where shopping is within easy walking distance. I am OVER big oil stealing my money, and am figuring out every way I can to cut it out of my life. Of course, food comes on trucks that use oil, so we can't get rid of it completely, but we will do what we can.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:31 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
It was easy for my wife and I, we just retired, no more commutes to work.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:54 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Everything gets more expensive when fuel costs go up. Because the stores rely on the trucking industry to get their goods there. And the heating costs go up, etc. It is all relative to each other.
That and the fact that our insurance company doesn't want to pay for jack squat anymore is killing us.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:14 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
We spend way more money than I like for gas, partially because we live 1 hr. from the closest decent size town (still small) and because we own a Subhurban. Can't see either changing as we have to live where my husband works so we can move closer to town, and we have 4 children so we need a larger car and a car with 4-wheel drive (live in the woods). I try to drive less but that isn't always easy.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:26 PM

238 posts, read 823,681 times
I'm quite frugal. Our grocery budget is down to a pretty small number. No cable, basic phone, resale shopping for most things.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:51 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
I consolidate trips when possible. I use synthetic oil now too which has increased my vehicle's mileage slightly and check the air pressure in my tires more often, plus rotate them when needed. We also njow have a light rail not far from us that I used to save gas and wear and tear, but that is only for going downtwon. Cuts about 20 miles off roundtrip and is only 1.30 each way, plus connects to buses. I use more coupons now too, especially at places that double or triple them.

Last edited by groove1; 01-16-2008 at 09:31 AM..

Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I just conserve more now not really becuase of the cost but just because we need too in this country. I won't drive to the next town to shop just for the pleasure or to go to a restaurant etc.We have cut down on our mileage about 10% from two years ago. I think that if we keep increasing the miles the average person drives we will see $4.00 gas prices sooner than we think.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:24 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
We do lots of shopping on-line now. Our truck sucks gas so we do any and all errands on certain days and do it all then. We even work on-line so there is no commute. There is very little, except food maybe, that you can't get on-line. Thank goodness for the internet!!!
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more has some good groceries. There are also places in our area that deliver groceries, including a couple of natural/organic places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living