Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 10:41 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

I love to save money, but I don't make my own laundry soap because I don't have any fading problems with the detergent I use. I have allergies to lots of chemicals in makeup and I get migraines from almost every perfume, but so far my body hasn't declared war on laundry detergent.

The way I look at it, clothes are expensive, and worth taking care of by using good detergent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 11:23 AM

374 posts, read 491,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I love to save money, but I don't make my own laundry soap because I don't have any fading problems with the detergent I use. I have allergies to lots of chemicals in makeup and I get migraines from almost every perfume, but so far my body hasn't declared war on laundry detergent.

The way I look at it, clothes are expensive, and worth taking care of by using good detergent.

I agree about clothes being expensive as I only buy quality clothing for myself and family. Your post is exactly the reasons why I make my own. It is not to save money as much as my health. I am in a field that I know why I don't use commercial. The money I save is a huge bonus, but not the main reason I do. It also saves me time, and headaches of smelling all the chemicals down the smelly aisle...LOL

My own cleans much better, doesn't fade my clothes, is better for my health and smells great. I don't want levels of polycholrinated dioxins or dibenzofurans or worse in my clothing, on my skin etc. There are many studies out there, but to each their own. What works for your family might not work for mine for allergies or long term health and wellness. Research does wonders.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:16 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
I have a friend who makes her own. I applaud her for it but I am too lazy to go that route so far. Maybe I'll take on that project at some point.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:31 AM

194 posts, read 237,808 times
Shred 2 bars of fels-naptha, boil, pour into 5 gallon bucket, add 1/2 cup borax, 1/2 cup washing soda, fill the rest with water, stir, done! Lasts forever.... I use 1/2 cup in the wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living