U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:08 AM

1,924 posts, read 1,913,732 times

Advertisements

If you have more than one can of paint left over at the end of a job, you did it wrong. If you are storing old paint cans in your living room, you are doing that wrong as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 07:59 PM

4,658 posts, read 5,905,995 times
I've used the "rubbing the nut" trick on scratched furniture many times. It is effective.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:32 PM

9,815 posts, read 13,883,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Frugality is fine but remember the cheapskate pays the most in the long term.
Sure. Have not paid garbage man for several years by now. I simply pick up trash in little bag in the morning and toss it into trash can on my way to the office. How is that going to make me pay more later? I am saving around $65 a month for very shiatty service otherwise.
Seriously, dude....

Old 08-06-2013, 03:45 PM

11,423 posts, read 19,433,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Sure. Have not paid garbage man for several years by now. I simply pick up trash in little bag in the morning and toss it into trash can on my way to the office. How is that going to make me pay more later? I am saving around $65 a month for very shiatty service otherwise.
Seriously, dude....
Amazing. I've never lived in a place that didn't require you to pay for garbage service. Put cans out or not, you gotta pay the garbage man.

AS for the Life hacks thing -- the very first thing ticked me off. It's not that it's a bad idea, but that aren't paper clips, those are binder clips. Two VERY DIFFERENT things. Made me think if he can't tell the difference, do I want to go on from there?

Old 08-11-2013, 07:04 PM

11,889 posts, read 14,355,740 times
#30 is a violation of the National Electric Code, article 380.30 which states that it must be supported by a method identified for such use. I don't think nails or screws are identified by the cord manufacturer as suitable support.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:28 AM

491 posts, read 571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Seriously, dude....
I can't think of a community I am aware of where that wouldn't be "misuse of municipal funds" and subject to a large ($500 and up) fine. I also had friends who did this and they very carefully tore off any identifying labels from everything in an effort to not get caught. It wouldn't be worth it to me.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:16 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,282,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
I can't think of a community I am aware of where that wouldn't be "misuse of municipal funds" and subject to a large ($500 and up) fine. I also had friends who did this and they very carefully tore off any identifying labels from everything in an effort to not get caught. It wouldn't be worth it to me.
No doubt, I have heard that many cities (and businesses) have pressed charges on this issue.

Our previous house was in a high foreclosure area. Lots of people weren't paying their trash service so the city just went to adding on to the tax bill. Made it easier on me - one less bill to pay , esp once we converted the house to a rental.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:38 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,643,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
There was a woman in DC who got a huge fine for puting a piece of junk mail in a garbage can as she walked to work in the morning. A cop walking on the sidewalk behind her pulled it out, saw her address, and wrote a ticket under some dumping statute that says personal household garbage can't be disposed in public receptacles.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:31 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,282,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
If you have more than one can of paint left over at the end of a job, you did it wrong. If you are storing old paint cans in your living room, you are doing that wrong as well.
We decant leftover paint (for touch-ups) into a laundry bottle. Leave enough headspace so you can give it a good shake and use one with a pour spout.

We've used the pool noodle idea before - under a fittend sheet to keep toddlers in bed.

I love me some binder clips. Got some great ones on clereance once at Staples that had a nice tab thing one them. I always kept a big set on my child'st stroller to clip her blankets across her lap or hang it over the canopy so she had total shade protection from the sun.

I've been folding fittend sheets that way for years (thanks Martha Stewart show)

Old 08-29-2018, 10:42 AM

17,326 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Neat stuff. I like the toothpaste cleaning the headlights. I have a 1998 F-150 with totally dull headlights. Will try it tonight.

Toothpaste also cleans sterling jewelry in a pinch....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or