Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 10:51 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,459 times

Advertisements

Our Goodwill store in Phoenix area just raised their regular Blue Jeans price from $7.99/pair to $8.99/pair after the minimum wage in AZ increased to $10.50/hr on January 1st. Occasionally they do go on sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 09:10 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Our Goodwill store in Phoenix area just raised their regular Blue Jeans price from $7.99/pair to $8.99/pair after the minimum wage in AZ increased to $10.50/hr on January 1st. Occasionally they do go on sale.
If the Goodwill stores in Phoenix are like the ones in Tucson, they have 50% off sales on a pretty frequent basis.

Last month, my old coffee maker broke. The one that I was looking at was on sale for $59 at Kohl's but was out of stock. I bought the same coffee maker at Goodwill for $4. No kidding.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,359 times
I've just never had luck with "thrift shopping." Maybe it's my area. The thrift stores are in the "poor" area of town, so I never knew if it was because the good stuff got snapped up quickly or if the donations were shoddy to begin with...

I did community service at the local Salvation Army. We sorted through bags upon bags upon bags of junk. We were told to sort out anything with holes (even small pin holes) or stains. Everything that made it to a hanger was outdated or pilled or shrunken or stretched.

Still, prices aren't that good.

It's been about a year since I've stocked up (it's about time now, actually!), but Walmart had/has camisoles for $1.68, feminine-cut T-shirts in seasonal colors (ya know...pastels in spring, bright colors in summer, darker colors in the fall and winter) for $3.88, leggings for $7-$10, jeans for $20. The prices are cheaper than/similar to/just slightly higher than the prices at the thrift stores, and you're getting brand new clothes that aren't pilled, that haven't shrunk, and you can buy your actual size and pick out the colors. I have also found that they hold up pretty well. I still have clothes from Walmart from 4+ years ago that don't look too bad and that barely shrunk at all, but of course, they aren't as "bright" and "fresh" as if they were brand new. Still totally wearable, though. I always, always buy those basics at Walmart, then look for cute stuff on sale at JC Penney or Maurice's, etc. to pair with. I grew up with the idea that buying clothes from Walmart came with a certain stigma, but I don't know what stigma comes with a black pair of leggings or a white cami.

I've bought clothes from Target in the past and wasn't really a fan. Maybe it's my body shape, but at both my lowest and highest weights -- and in-between -- their clothes mostly fit me "weird." I've never been a big fan of how their material feels, and I have found that their clothing seems to be of a much cheaper quality than Walmart. I have also found that most of their stuff doesn't hold up as well in the wash as my Walmart pieces.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If the Goodwill stores in Phoenix are like the ones in Tucson, they have 50% off sales on a pretty frequent basis.

Last month, my old coffee maker broke. The one that I was looking at was on sale for $59 at Kohl's but was out of stock. I bought the same coffee maker at Goodwill for $4. No kidding.
I'm glad your purchase went well, but I'm not sure I would buy small kitchen appliances at Goodwill. They're so difficult to actually clean, and you don't know that they didn't come from a home with roaches.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Yes they are and we are also having a problem here with rogue goodwill drop off boxes. They are literally on every street corner. Link below is from an older article in south Florida. Crazy as they started appearing like almost overnight here!

Kind of genius as it is like baiting a trap, set it out and just go collect the contents. They are in just about every retail lot now. The real goodwill box used to overflow and people would leave boxes right next to it when full. Never see that anymore!

Goodwill, Salvation Army fight for-profit clothing recycling in South Florida - Sun Sentinel
So what? We have those boxes here, and I'm glad. It's a convenient way to get rid of and recycle clothing, etc. without having to drive to Salvation Army or Goodwill, which are about 15 miles from here...the closest donation box is 1 mile away.

When I did community service at the Salvation Army, we HAD to throw anything away that was donated after hours. Like, people would pull up and leave things, but if it was sitting outside when the Salvation Army opened, we had to throw it away, no matter what it was. We couldn't even take it home or offer to pay cash to take it home if we wanted it or anything.

Also, I think you would be AMAZED at just how much stuff our small-town Salvation Army received and got rid of. We had big balers where we tossed anything with a stain or a hole...which was just about everything. I spent almost all of my 40 hours at Salvation Army throwing stuff into those balers. And there was absolutely no way we could keep up with the many, many bags of "stuff" that were coming in. The entire warehouse was packed, floor to ceiling, with trash bags filled with stuff. Salvation Army and Goodwill are getting plenty of stuff...trust me.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:04 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,379,633 times
It's getting so bad, I saw that my local Goodwill raised the price of used underwear to $4.00!

Old 02-09-2018, 06:43 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
It's getting so bad, I saw that my local Goodwill raised the price of used underwear to $4.00!
Some of it goes for a lot more than that on Ebay...... but let's not go there.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:56 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,411,345 times
Yes, but our local thrift stores are trying to upscale their merchandise.

And I have found amazing things. I just bought a pair of mint condition black women's loafers / driving moccasins - Stuart Weitzmann - for 22 dollars. $300 shoes. Fit me perfectly. Crazy.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:27 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
So agree. Here in SC/NC area minimum wage has not went up. But I have a friend who swears by Goodwill where used dresses are $7.99. I can go to a sale at SteinMart when they have 50% off redline/blue slash and get brand new labels for $7.50. Or sometimes even cheaper at Nordstrom Rack clear the rack sale. And our local thrift store has a $2 sale periodically on high end clothing. Goodwill is no longer a deal on clothing. Maybe household items or something.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:17 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,379,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Some of it goes for a lot more than that on Ebay...... but let's not go there.
You know about the vending machines in Japan, right?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living