Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 04:31 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,376,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

Examples are Skype, Google Hangouts, and/or Google voice. These systems use your wi-fi and they have no monthly fee. You can run them from your computer if you have a microphone, or you can buy a cheap android phone for $20 from Walmart and put Google Hangouts on it. If the phone supports android, you don't have to activate it as a cell phone to use it as a WiFi backup.

The other advantage of using Google Hangouts is you can make calls to people who you don't want to record your main phone number on the Caller ID. Google Hangouts show up as UNKNOWN on the Caller ID.
Just for clarification....I have an old Droid that I use at work to listen to music via WiFi.....no cell service for the phone, it's just for entertainment. I can use "Google Hangouts" on this phone to make calls ???....can I also receive calls???....this would be great being where I work has zero cell service, and I'm rarely near a phone if the Wife should need me in an emergency
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 07:04 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Just for clarification....I have an old Droid that I use at work to listen to music via WiFi.....no cell service for the phone, it's just for entertainment. I can use "Google Hangouts" on this phone to make calls ???....can I also receive calls???....this would be great being where I work has zero cell service, and I'm rarely near a phone if the Wife should need me in an emergency
Yes! And the good thing is you can still use it to play music.

But to be fair I haven't figured out how to answer incoming phone calls. I have Google voice and Google hangouts, and I receive a call on Google Voice where it is recorded and transcribed (automatically makes a text version of the message). Sometimes the transcriptions have errors so you have to listen to the message. then you can call them back.

Google gives you a variety of choices for a phone number. In my case I chose one with the last four same digits as my home number so it would be easier to remember.

For work you probably don't want to receive calls anyway. You would rather get a message and call them back at convenient times.

Google is trying to replace Google Voice with Google Hangouts. So eventually they will get all functions into one piece of software. There is also an app called Google Hangouts dialer. Just download all three.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
I have Magic Jack as my landline. I have cable internet so it works fine. It's only about $30 a year and works great. I hate cell phones. I have one, but I keep it turned off and only use it if I need to make a call out.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:36 PM

Default Free Wifi

Scratch Wireless suggests these chains for free wireless. If you don't want to pay for cellular, you can probably get wi-fi from the parking lot of one of these chains. You shouldn't be talking while driving anyway.

Page Plus Cellular sells a $10 (100 minutes) pay-as-you-go service that lasts 120 days.
  1. Applebee’s
  2. Arbys
  3. Au Bon Pain
  4. Barnes & Noble Coffee Shops
  5. Bob Evans
  6. Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar
  7. Burger King
  8. Cici’s Pizza
  9. Cosi
  10. Denny’s
  11. Dunkin’ Donuts
  12. Hooters
  13. IHOP
  14. Jack In The Box
  15. Krispy Kreme
  16. Krystal
  17. McAlister’s Deli
  18. McDonald’s
  19. Panera Bread
  20. Peet’s Coffee & Tea
  21. Popeye’s Chicken
  22. Quiznos
  23. Schlotzsky’s
  24. Scooter’s Coffeehouse
  25. Starbucks
  26. Subway (not all locations)
  27. Taco Bell
  28. Wendy’s

Old 09-14-2015, 12:28 PM

4 posts, read 2,593 times
No landlines for myself or my friends. Our cell phones are with us all of the time and with unlimited calls, why pay for a landline?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:57 PM

145 posts, read 314,707 times
I only have a landline because it was included in my Fios package (it's apparently the same price if I had gone without it).

If it had cost even a $1 extra, I wouldn't have gotten it. I simply don't use it.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:03 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
The $1 extra is never $1...

add on the ... Fees ..

https://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/phone...Phonebill.html

Your $1 phone bill is now $20.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthinkin View Post
No landlines for myself or my friends. Our cell phones are with us all of the time and with unlimited calls, why pay for a landline?
I think very few adults under the age of 35 have wireline phones anymore. Older people prefer them, or households with sick people. Sometimes homes with bad reception in the basement. A house with lots of children may find them cheaper. some people use them for medical equipment or home security systems.

If the government lets the legacy phone companies sell the copper systems and shut them down, the cable companies could offer VOIP service.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:39 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,416 times
I got rid of the landline when I retired to save on monthly expenditures. Since I drive and have AAA I need to be able to call for help while out and about so the landline had to go for sure!

Old 09-18-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I got rid of the landline when I retired to save on monthly expenditures.
There are two good options for home use so that you don't put a radio next to your head for the rest of your life. Plastic headsets for between $10 and $20.

Connect to Cell or bluetooth linked phones. These have the extra advantage of allowing you to recharge your mobile phone near the base, and still answer the handsets through the house. Also, sometimes cell coverage is not as good in far corners of the house or basement, and these handsets will help with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living