U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 10:04 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,071,980 times

Advertisements

The best way to save money is just don't spend it.

That sort of works automatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 10:52 AM

2,179 posts, read 5,756,859 times
I'm going to be getting a new car next year through Costco. My parents did it on the car they got 3 years ago and they take about 8-10% off invoice from their preferred dealership and you don't have to negotiate over the price. I can also getting financing through their preferred bank with the rate being .2% below average for the customer with equal credit history and score.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:35 PM

338 posts, read 1,298,009 times
wow--hope I can stumble upon a Costco some time...altho I've never owned a new car...hate payments...and husband is a mechanic so he can fix most anything.
grammy...I also roll my change- the kids and I have a ball -- we try to estimate how much before we roll- the most so far was $289.00 in change!
I would never have one of those change machines do it! What a waste of the whole "save your change and roll it" concept!

Old 10-16-2006, 10:49 PM

622 posts, read 2,500,968 times
i always get laughs when i tell people this-

i always keep a can of diced pineapples in my cupboard because i love ham & pineapple pizza, but my favorite pizza place usually offers a special on mediums with one topping. so i just get ham and put the pineapple on myself!

Old 10-17-2006, 01:46 PM

3,868 posts, read 7,420,264 times
Default save

Save 50 dollars from every paycheck no matter what. If that means sitting in your room eating ramen noodles and nachos for a week or two you suck it up and do it!

Old 10-17-2006, 08:00 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,149,758 times
I cut my own hair for three years or so. Nothing fancy; I just bought some clippers and would shave it all off, then let it grow in for a few months, and then shave it off again. Depending on how often you get haircuts, and where you go for them, it can save considerable money. I probably saved a few hundred dollars over the years.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:25 PM

233 posts, read 812,892 times
1. I use coupons.

2. I pay attention to my car and how I treat it, so to have low maintenance bills.

3. Even though gas has gone down, I still plan my errands for the day.

4. I use Vonage phone service.

5. I did not rent a washer and dryer for my apartment, plus my goal is to buy a house next year.

6. I cut the lights off when not in use. (I have turned into my Grandma )

7. If there is no special occassion, I do my own eyebrows, nails, and facials.

8. If going out, and not formal, I make sure to really dig around in my closet for an outfit.

9. I try to maintain good health. No need to buy unnecessary meds.

10. Monthly Budget-Excel Spreadsheet. -Pay bills twice a month, at one time. Call for balances. This put me in control of my money going out.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:21 PM

212 posts, read 727,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Costco is similiar to BJ's & Sams Club.

If you have a Kohl's near you, they have have great clearance sales. The last two years I bought a couple nice sweaters for $3.00 & $5.00, I don't know how they stay in business.
i work at Kohl's and last weekend they were selling all red ticket clearance items for $2.OO. While I was cleaning up in the rug section I noticed a beautiful 4ft 6in X 7 ft 9 in rug with a red ticket sticker, but thought no way. i now own a 100% wool rug original price $299.99, that I paid $1.92 for. I love a deal.
LORI

Last edited by shanenlori; 10-28-2006 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: correct spelling

Old 10-29-2006, 08:07 AM

7,046 posts, read 15,987,444 times
The wife and I are pretty "thrifty" when it comes to spending money. When I first met her, she was going out to lunch each work day with the accounting/office people. After we got together, I started making her lunch for her and now we both take our lunch to work almost everyday. We also use coupons for vehicle maintenance and some other things we get. We just recently bought a new DVD video camera and have saved $280 on the store price...found someone where I work at to buy our old "cassette" type video camera for $200 and saved $80 more dollars by buying the camera at one store instead of another. When we bought a new digital camera last Christmas, we had a nice rebate on it and sold our old digital camera for $300. We had nice rebates, plus store discounts on both our desktop and laptop computers that we bought last year. We don't go out for nice dinners very often.
If there is a way to save some money on buying something, we sure try to find it.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:32 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,263,223 times
I shop online for alot of stuff usaully no sales tax. I bought a pair of 200.00
workboots on Ebay for 40.00 They were never even worn. I just bought a massaging back support thingy for my truck for 42.00 and they usaully go for 120.00 and this was still in the box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living