U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 11:27 AM

4,585 posts, read 15,330,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
I know how you feel...I can't justify paying $250.00 to rent a hall for my daughter's grauation party...I'm trying to figure out a way to get chairs and tables without having to pay...$250 just to use the building! Crazy!

Why do you have to have the party at a rented hall? We had a huge turnout for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary and rather than rent a hall and didn't say the party was from this time to that time, we had an open house over about a six hour time span. That worked out great for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 05:34 PM

215 posts, read 260,238 times
We're pretty much saving money the same way as you-all are. Don't have it, don't spend it, coupons, used cars, etc. I always try to come up with a cheaper way of doing things and have discovered a use for old socks(actually the one that didn't "get away"). Those mops for floors that require a cloth that attaches, etc.; instead, try an old sock, cut about a six inch slit down one side and slide it onto the mop instead of the sheet. Spray it with some dust stuff or furniture polish and off you go!! Whee! No almost $4 a box of sheets for me (or you) if you want to try this!! LOL

Old 12-01-2006, 05:57 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,590,140 times
My husband saves us a ton of money because he can fix darn near anything. I still drive my '97 Explorer and it still is a great vehicle because he's changed the oil regularly, etc. Since I retired (a few years early) we've installed our own hardwood floor in the living/dining room; tiled the kitchen floor and counters (I even used the tile cutter and learned to grout!); and painted the house inside and out. We do our own yardwork. Run ceiling fans and keep the a/c on 78 so we don't have outrageous electric bills for Florida. I've bought clothes like jeans and shorts at flea markets & yard sales, and can easily save a bunch of money on those. We usually pay off our credit cards every month and every once in a while cash in my "rewards" and get gift certificates to use for dinner out or at Lowe's or Home Depot. Oh, I got my carpet cleaner with those rewards one time and I do my own carpets too.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:28 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 1,904,501 times
I'll have to say clearance racks too.It's great to find a pair of shorts that in the summertime would cost me 40 bucks,wait til they clearance and I get them for 10 bucks.I pretty much wear shorts year round.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:42 PM

692 posts, read 2,372,295 times
Mail order brides !

Old 12-01-2006, 06:58 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
My husband saves us a ton of money because he can fix darn near anything. I still drive my '97 Explorer and it still is a great vehicle because he's changed the oil regularly, etc. Since I retired (a few years early) we've installed our own hardwood floor in the living/dining room; tiled the kitchen floor and counters (I even used the tile cutter and learned to grout!); and painted the house inside and out. We do our own yardwork. Run ceiling fans and keep the a/c on 78 so we don't have outrageous electric bills for Florida. I've bought clothes like jeans and shorts at flea markets & yard sales, and can easily save a bunch of money on those. We usually pay off our credit cards every month and every once in a while cash in my "rewards" and get gift certificates to use for dinner out or at Lowe's or Home Depot. Oh, I got my carpet cleaner with those rewards one time and I do my own carpets too.
My husband saves us money by fixing and doing things also. He is replacing the siding on the house now. When we use our credit card we pay the bill when it come in.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:05 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 1,904,501 times
I pretty much do all the repairs myself.I have a little knowledge in doing home repairs.I remember one time my washing machine died and instead of calling Sears to come fix it,I took it apart and kept tinkering with it til I found the problem.So instead of paying for a service call and then having to pay for labor,I found the part I needed and ordered it.It came the next day and it only cost about 6 bucks.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:35 PM

649 posts, read 2,648,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanenlori View Post
i work at Kohl's and last weekend they were selling all red ticket clearance items for $2.OO. While I was cleaning up in the rug section I noticed a beautiful 4ft 6in X 7 ft 9 in rug with a red ticket sticker, but thought no way. i now own a 100% wool rug original price $299.99, that I paid $1.92 for. I love a deal.
LORI
Lori-

Or you could put that rug on Ebay and make $200-$300 and pay for Christmas..lol bashep

Old 02-26-2007, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,383 times
Default How to save money at Starbucks

A few tips to help reduce your bean juice debt:

1. "Ghetto" Latte - This makeshift coffee drink lives up to its name. To make, order one or two shots of espresso in a large cup. Fill the rest with milk from the condiment station. If it's too cold, microwave at home or the office. For a ghetto macchiato, substitute the regular milk for a portion of half 'n' half equal to the amount of espresso.

2. Short Cap - Some Starbucks sell a "short" cappuccino that isn't listed on the menu, but is only available by request. It's smaller and cheaper than the "tall," which is the smallest on the menu.

3. Black Coffee - Learn to like regular coffee. The expensive drinks at Starbucks are those dressed up with cream and sugar. Acquiring a taste for black coffee won't just save you money, it'll save you fat and calories as well.

4. Free Power - Instead of charging your laptop at home, bring it into Starbucks and charge it up for free.

5. Free News - Discarded sections of the day's newspapers are a staple at Starbucks. Instead of subscribing to a paper that you throw away after reading anyway, share with the Starbucks community.

6. The Hook-up - Starbucks employees get a free pound of coffee every week, which is often up for barter if you have something good to offer. I know a girl who worked at a doctor's office that traded a bag of free drug pens for a pound of Sumatran.

7. Osmosis - Sometimes all you need is a whiff of the coffee scent and the sound of whirring machines to trigger you into waking up in the morning. So walk in, take a deep breath, and drink in the morning energy. Leave as soon as you feel more away and you've saved yourself the price of a coffee.

Source: http://www.financialgreenlight.com/s...html]Financial

Old 02-26-2007, 01:15 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,791,759 times
save money!

1. buy things on sale, dont pay retail prices
2. use coupons!
3. Never buy a new car, never spend over $5k.
4. Cook your own food, avoid restaurants
5. dont marry, dont have children
6. buy a house in an affordable location

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living