U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:51 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,167,733 times

Advertisements

become a "cherry-picker" when it comes to food shopping(only buy whats on sale)
having worked in the supermarket industry most of my life, here's my advice

the supermarket industry (mostly) is a high-low advertising, strategy, they will low-ball sale prices, to get traffic thru the door, in hopes "while you are there" you will buy other items, not on sale, in which the store makes more margin on.
having been a meat manager in a supermarket, here are a few suggestions.
when "whole fryers" are on sale (chickens, usually around 3-4 lbs) or roasters (whole chickens7-9lbs) usually they will be on sale, for 59-79lb, take a few out of the meat case, ring the buzzer for the meat department, and ask them to cut up the chickens (they will do it for free)
also, the stores will low-ball, one beef item, in an ad,,say a shoulder arm steak, bottom round roast, a bnls chuck steak, for 1.79-1.99 lb, and even top round steak, or roast. these are cheaper (than the middle-meats) cuts, but are great for burger, or stew beef. for example, a store may have 90% groud beef, in thier case for 2.79-3.99lb, if you call, and ask the butcher to grind a lean bottom round or top round roast, they will do it for the sale price, and it will be 90% this applies for most bnls chuck steaks on sale also, (and stew meat too) or kabobs, etc.
now for the more expensive meats, rib-eyes, sirloin strips, shell sirloins, porterhous/t-bone steaks, id recommend, going to an independent, store or local butcher, why?? independents have "price-flexibility" , chain stores don't!
for example, the regular retail for rib-eyes around here is 9.99-10.99lb
if this is your steak of choice, then call a local independent, and ask "whats the lowest price per lb" you will sell a whole one?? yes, you are buying more at once, but instead of paying 10.99 lb, you may pay, 5.99-6.99 lb or even less, if you buy a bone in rib-eye,
most chain meat departments, want a 24-28% margin, an independent will sell a quantity sale for 12-15% why? its a good ring and guaranteed sale, and no shrink.
this concept applies to say boneless chicken breast, yes stock up if its on sale, but also, ask, how much they will sell a whole box for?? or 5, 10, lbs.

have a good relationship, with your local butcher, he can save you thousands in a course of a year, and dont be afraid to ask question.

one more, say you buy bnls pork chops, buy the whole boneless loin (its only7-9 lbs) you can cut it easily yourself, or ask the butcher to cut it, and he will sell it for up to 40% off retail.

if you like porterhouse/t-bone steaks, ask for a price, on a "short-loin" and ask them to cut it and freezer wrap it, again up to 40% off retail.

one last bit of advice, wal-mart doesnt have butchers in the store, and most of thier fresh meats are "enhanced" injected with a sodium solution, for longer shelf life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 05:27 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,949,333 times
I like this thread, a few things I do are:

Always buy clothes on sale (thank God I don't work in a corporate environment and can wear jeans and tshirts)

Don't spend big money on purses. I got a purse from Payless and its holding up pretty well.

I have the most basic, cheapest cell phone plan and I use my cell as my main phone. I also wait until I can get an upgraded phone for free instead of spending money for a new one.

I don't buy music cds or movie dvds.

And, here's the kicker, I don't have cable! LOL I know, I know. Its just that between working, commute time, and running errands on weekends I can't bring myself to pay Comcast $80 to $100 per month for something I'll hardly ever watch. If there is something I want to see bad enough, I'll catch it on Youtube.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:14 PM

2,775 posts, read 2,578,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
I love to read other peoples ideas... one thing I do to help save money is cut and use coupons. Even when I did not feel I had to I did...not using them and knowing I have them drives me crazy...I have said "No, not this trip" to go home and get the coupon and then come back and use it...what do you do to save money?
1) my family buys almost all clothes from second-hand thrift stores
2) we only go out to eat when we have a coupon - AND we always order water with lemon to drink and split our meals
3) make our two used cars work - they aren't the greatest, but they do get us from point a to point b
4) never carry credit card debt month to month AND the two credit cards we use give us 1-5% cash back on our purchases
5) order most of our non-perishables online, via tax free sites; and usually only when we can get free shipping and the lowest cost
6) incorporate business with pleasure trips so we have writeoffable or expensable expenses
7) we have made it part of our family culture to get good deals on whatever we buy - we tell others of our good deals and make it an ongoing contest
8) starting up a home-based business was one of the best ways we learned to stretch our income... not necessarily with profits/revenue, but via the tax writeoffs. With just a little investigation and a good tax accountant you could be pleasantly surprised how much less in taxes you can pay each year, legally.
9) we cut our own hair
10) we cut coupons and buy grocery items only when on sale (of course there are exceptions - but we try to stick to this)

Old 04-25-2007, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,891 times
I know it sounds silly, but I only spend about $90 or so a month on food. I eat around 3 microwave meals a day, for about $0.98 each. Together with walking several miles a day during the spring, fall, and summer, I've lost 40lbs over the last year. So it helps save tons of money and lose weight. What could be better?!

Old 04-26-2007, 03:11 PM

2,775 posts, read 2,578,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer Service Rep View Post
I know it sounds silly, but I only spend about $90 or so a month on food. I eat around 3 microwave meals a day, for about $0.98 each. Together with walking several miles a day during the spring, fall, and summer, I've lost 40lbs over the last year. So it helps save tons of money and lose weight. What could be better?!
Just be careful - those meals are contain processing/manmade-chemicals and do not provide full nutrition (and some brands are very high in sodium). As long as you eat a piece of fruit or vegetable or something else fresh each day you should be ok.

I only put this warning out there because I have noticed that cheap frozen meals without anything fresh can lead to health-related issues. For a while my wife and I subsisted on 65 cent (on sale) Michelangelo frozen meals (heck of a deal!), but we consistently had a lack of energy after eating them for about an hour. Not all that great for productivity :-(

Old 01-19-2009, 11:52 AM

779 posts, read 2,964,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Just be careful - those meals are contain processing/manmade-chemicals and do not provide full nutrition (and some brands are very high in sodium). As long as you eat a piece of fruit or vegetable or something else fresh each day you should be ok.

I only put this warning out there because I have noticed that cheap frozen meals without anything fresh can lead to health-related issues. For a while my wife and I subsisted on 65 cent (on sale) Michelangelo frozen meals (heck of a deal!), but we consistently had a lack of energy after eating them for about an hour. Not all that great for productivity :-(

Thanks for the reminder. Guess I will go back over to the Food forum where they have lots of ideas for cheap meals.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:23 PM

4,663 posts, read 5,907,077 times
One way we save money is my husband and I commute to/from work together. He drops me off on the way to his office. I do have to go in about thirty minutes early and stay about an hour later, but we are only spending gas and wear and tear on one vehicle.

I also use used dryer sheets instead of Swiffer sheets. They work and even though they have already been used in the dryer, they still attract dust.

I also have a clothes line that I use year round if the weather permits. My husband and son like the way bed linens and towels smell when air dried in the sunshine. I like the reduction in my power bill.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:02 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,961,475 times
Buy only what you can carry at the supermarket (you may use a basket if necessary, but not a shopping cart). You will not buy as much as you would when pushing the cart, and you'll get a bonus strength and balance workout. I don't often do this anymore but shopped this way back in my single yrs.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:27 PM

253 posts, read 686,298 times
Default include kids in saving money to

we made a game out of it at home, the kids help cut cost, by turning off lights, sleepen at night with heater turned way down, conserving water, cutten coupons, buying second hand, etc.
then at end of the month, we add up our savings, and decide what to do with the money saved. we put half in savings, and the other half, do something fun that normally wouldnt.
its great way to teach kids about cutten back andhard times.
for example, our local grocery stores have club cards, free to get, easy to save alot. we take the money we saved which is printed at bottem of reciept and save it away. the kids have gotten so good at spotten a bargain, that now when at gorcery, my oldest hits the meat dept, grabs up reduced meat, other 2 look for reduced/bogo deals, and we stock up, i usally come out with 2 weeks of food on average for less then what used to spend in a week, last week, we saved 86 bucks alone!!!
other tips....rain barrels, now that garden/flower season is comen up...collect the water the good Lord gives us free, and let the kids scoop it back out and water plants....they get wet, they have fun, you save money and water to boot!!!
hubby is a trucker...bought a truck fridge, i wrap leftovers and freeze...we save tons of mone verses him eaten out...and saves his waist line to...lol this works for lunches to, our kids eat packed lunch instead of schools.
theres lots of way...just recall what it was like growen up...old ways...lol, they will come back to you, and so will your money.....lol

Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
I only buy ice cream from the freezer aisles..nothing else. I have saved so much money from not buying any of that pre-processed, pre-cooked food. No more frozen vegetables either..I buy fresh and what is on sale and in season (and USA only).

Takes a bit longer but I cook more on the weekends and re-heat during the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living