U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:23 PM

846 posts, read 910,411 times

Advertisements

Live Below the Line is a site that challenges people to try to live below is what considered extreme poverty ($1.50 dollar in USD a day). The cookbook is mostly healthy looking and resembled what I ate for years: fresh veggies and fruit, beans and lotta carbs (kind of cutting back on the amount of carbs now though). It's a nice alternative to the Hillybillyhousewive's $45 Emergency menu for 4 to 6.

Ways to save money in terms of food: eat as healthily as possible and this includes portion control! No future pain, healthcare cost, lost of income from days off work, indirect costs like extra fuel for the extra body weight and you'll look and feel great on top of it too.

Get a drying rack. I have two and they paid themselves off in terms of saving within their first year of purchase.

More incentive to wash your car besides the "wash me, you lazy bum!" on the 1/4 cm thick dirt on your windows: you'll save gas because the grimes create more drag on dirty cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 10:20 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,356,665 times
I am a SAHM. One way I save money is to go out as little as possible. It saves me gas and I am less likely to eat out at a fast food place. I shop sales and make larger meals so we can have leftovers for 2-3 days. That means I cook less, don't heat up the apartment and make a meal streach. I have done a fairly good job of training my kids to shut off lights behind them. I save my change as well and then cash it in after awhile. In the summer I try to do things that are free or cheap for entertainment for my children such as fishing, swimming at the lake, or 1/2 price bowling day.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:44 AM

1,809 posts, read 2,143,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post

I have a Nexus 7 tablet (splurge) and I put the Kindle App on it. I subscribed to some websites (bookgorilla) that notify me every day of free and cheap ebooks, some new ebooks are free for a day or so at a time. I have collected over 100 free ebooks on my tablet so far. I don't even have a credit card attached to my amazon account, so I'm not tempted to spend money there. (If I want to buy on amazon I use my bf's account, which takes extra effort so I'd better be sure I want whatever I'm thinking of buying....)

Go one step further -- check out your local library. Many of them have ebooks now. Sign up on line, download their software and pick out your books.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:58 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,606,362 times
Read with interest one guy who went on the 99Cent store diet. In our area we have a chain of stores called 99Cent stores and they sell food in them, vegetables, fruit, and other things. He would only buy breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the 99Cent store. He not only saved money, but ended up dropping a lot of weight.

As for our family, we get free DVD's at the library. Also spend time at our library with the kids. We take them to the beach and the park a lot as well. It is good for all of us to walk their and lots of fun for the kids. we dropped the phone line as we all have cell phones anyway. Still the phones I pay for are part of a basic family plan. The kids have iPods that they can pick up a neighborhood hot spot to go on line and text their friends.

My sister upgraded her Kindle and sent me her older one. It came complete with a free library and anytime any of us download a book the others get it as well. Not going to say no to free.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:16 PM

3,186 posts, read 5,463,294 times
When you go to a drive in fast food restaurant always ask for plenty of extra condiments. Save them in your glove box and use them later.Use a slow cook crock pot and then you can buy the cheap tough pieces of meat and prepare them to taste great.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:13 PM

29,630 posts, read 31,948,941 times
Prepaid wireless phone is a biggie. Ebay for as much as I can! My current work wardrobe came almost entirely from ebay, I don't think I've been to a mall or department store more than once in the last year...HATE SHOPPING! Once you know your brands/styles/sizes it's pretty easy to stick to a basic "uniform" look. I hit the Dollar Tree a few times a year and stock up on certain things. I can pay $10 and walk out with a years supply of Softsoap and toothbrushes. I don't use coupons often, I never could get into that habit, but I have my loyality cards for grocery stores and charge everything on my cashback CC. Luckily I work 3 miles from home which saves a lot of money right there. And something I recently hit upon: most of my son's friends have jobs that offer certain perks, I can get into a movie theater for free for example, because my son works there. Since they hang out at my house most of the time I tell them to pay the piper (ME) with whatever freebies they get as job perks...bags of Starbucks coffee here, marked down items from a grocery store there, whatever.

There are a couple big things I can still do but I'm waiting for my son to finish college and move out first...like scaling back on the internet speed and cutting the cable tv cord. But life is better with those things for now.

Last edited by Ceece; 06-17-2013 at 09:22 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 11:58 PM

3,186 posts, read 5,463,294 times
A biggie for me is using costco for my meds. No one can touch their prices overall.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 PM

5,655 posts, read 12,046,901 times
I've had asthma since I was a kid and use a rescue inhaler on occasion, but you can't buy them in the states any longer without a prescription. The OTC ones worked for me and cost about 15-20 bucks. Now it requires a trip to the MD and somewhere near $60 a pop for something that does the same thing - just a different preparation; Albuterol. So I checked out the online (off-shore) med sites and I can get three of them (albuterol) for that price from xxxxx pharmacy. I've been doing this for a couple of years now and they have yet to let me down. I have to plan a little ahead as it takes about 3 weeks for delivery. So I plan ahead.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:57 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,028,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
I've had asthma since I was a kid and use a rescue inhaler on occasion, but you can't buy them in the states any longer without a prescription. The OTC ones worked for me and cost about 15-20 bucks. Now it requires a trip to the MD and somewhere near $60 a pop for something that does the same thing - just a different preparation; Albuterol. So I checked out the online (off-shore) med sites and I can get three of them (albuterol) for that price from xxxxx pharmacy. I've been doing this for a couple of years now and they have yet to let me down. I have to plan a little ahead as it takes about 3 weeks for delivery. So I plan ahead.

For years my son and I lived without medical coverage. We went to the doctors when we needed our medications refilled. It cost us $25. for an office visit.

I could not afford our meds, so I got all of them through the PPA (Partners for Prescription Assistance) program. Some were free, some I had to pay a small fee.
We both have asthma and use albuterol and probably used the same program that you now do (or one similar).
My frugal tip... get someone else to pay for it. Actually, my next door neighbor used the same inhaler and would pay for both mine and my son's prescriptions. In exchange he got two inhalers cheaper than he could get them at the pharmacy and he did not have to pay to see a doctor just to get the prescription. It was a win-win for all of us.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,480,136 times
-i budget $60 for spending money every week with the exception of special occasions
-whatever is leftover of that 60, i put into a tin and use it around xmas
-i rarely buy lunch, i always brownbag it.
-same with drinks, i don't buy coffee, i brew a gallon at a time of green tea and take it to work, cheaper and healthier.
-bundling my errands. saves money AND time. driving sucks and gas is too expensive
-i treat my savings like it's another bill
-i rarely eat out/go out. my social life is almost non-existent because of it. but, oh well. i am more relaxed in my comfortable home
-i don't get why people say that they don't use credit cards. i use my credit card for necessities and trust my self-control capabilities. whatever i charge i pay off in 30 days. my credit score is 723....not bad for a 24 year old.
-putting my bills on auto-pay to my credit card. i can't remember or get around to paying everything when it's due....and i might not always have enough money in my checking account to cover it. so i save on potential overdraft/late fees.
- i rarely pay for movies or music
-i don't have an expensive smartphone.
-i pay more than twice the minimum payment on my student loans so that i save on any future interest and pay them off quicker.
-at least 70% of all my tax returns get put in the bank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living