U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:02 PM

9,665 posts, read 5,658,893 times

Advertisements

turn off the sprinklers when it's raining.

put off purchases that you don't really need for weeks, months. by then you'd have forgotten why you considered it.

don't shop for food when you're hungry.

use cruise control. i've found that the minimum for my honda is 24-25 mph.

don't accelerate to stops. see a red in the distance, coast up to it. ever notice how people will drive so fast and catch up to stopped cars at red lights? on surface streets, i usually leave early so i'm never in a rush (and i never say never). lots of times you can time your speed to catch greens and the wasted gas of acceleration is saved. your milage goes up. you spend less on gas. you save your brake pads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:34 PM

continued...

navy shower. not something you can read about and start doing. but living it helps. steaming toward the persian gulf (we called it the arabian gulf), and one of your evaporators goes down. not to mention the closer to get to the pond that is the gulf, water temperatures steadily increase, making your evaporators, which rely on cool water temperatures to make water, less efficient. water aboard ship is vital to run the plant, cooling, engine and motor operations, a plethora of uses, and of course crew comfort, showers, toilets, washing dishes. when water gets scarce you go on water hours. paper plates, plastic utensils, paper cups, and sometimes 2 minute showers. someone of rank outside with a stopwatch timing your shower. anyway, it's ingrained into you to conserve. back to navy showers. what's a navy shower? walk in, shower to get wet, turn off water, soap down, rinse, done. some of the older ships have a hose and a nozzle that only works when you press the button. no luxury showers with those anyway. long story short, i still take navy showers. i'm in there and the wife says, why are you turning off the water? hard to explain. saves alot of water though. i do it not really to save water, which it does, but because it's a habit.

shaving. you don't need to let the water run and run while you're shaving. same principle. turn it off when not needed.

shaving razor blades. disposable type. how many shaves can you get with your cartridge blade? four? twelve? six? right now i use the two gillette two blade cartridge and have been dating the start of use. years ago i found that you can keep on using them. the cartridge i have on there now was put on in october of 2012. yup. in a little over 2 months from now i will have been using it for a year.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:00 AM

1,787 posts, read 4,797,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Yeah, right! It all sounds so easy, but when I try that, I end up with a complete mess all over the kitchen,then I'm too tired to cook dinner so we go out!

Or, if I manage to do all that, when I go to thaw it out it all sticks to the stuff I froze it in. So, you let it thaw to remove the plastic, foil, whatever, and forget about it, or it doesn't thaw in time, or, the cat gets it, so, we end up eating out. Maybe cooking isn't my thing!
Instead of thawing out the frozen previously-cooked meal in the vac. bags, put the bag in a pot of water and reheat. After it's hot, cut the bag open and serve. Just be careful, the bag is hot. I do this all the time. If you don't want to use the vac. bags, use the Glad brand plastic containers. Your food won't stick. I use those, too. Your cat won't have access to either way.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 PM

22,690 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Instead of thawing out the frozen previously-cooked meal in the vac. bags, put the bag in a pot of water and reheat. After it's hot, cut the bag open and serve. Just be careful, the bag is hot. I do this all the time. If you don't want to use the vac. bags, use the Glad brand plastic containers. Your food won't stick. I use those, too. Your cat won't have access to either way.
And then you'll have a pot of hot water. You can do something with that like wash up a few dishes.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:12 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,328,308 times
Water your yard/grass in the middle of the night (use a timer) to avoid the heat of the day and make the watering more effective. Do your laundry in the evening when the electrical costs are cheaper. Buy a larger pkg. of meat that is on sale and split it up for individual meals. Do all your food shopping on one day and do not go to the grocery store off and on all week, you will spend less and be less likely to make impulsive purchases. Have either a cell phone or a land-line and not both. If you have a cell phone don't purchase a smart phone if you can get away with having a regular cell phone, don't buy apps or get services that you do not need. Color your own hair instead of going to a salon to have it done. Shop for clothes for the next year when they go on sale at the end of the season. You can get clothes, especially for children, at a much cheaper cost at the end of the season. Go to matinee movies instead of later in the day. Don't go to the movies really hungry where you may end up buying all kinds of junk that is very expensive. Grow your own garden/herbs/fruit when the weather is nice to save money. Learn to can, make jam, dehydrate, and freeze food to preserve the food and it allows you to grow or buy food in larger quantities.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:07 PM

11,403 posts, read 13,950,805 times
1/ I view the grocery ads and only buy non-essential food items on sale. If chicken is on sale, we buy it. Next week, if steak is on sale, we eat steak.

2/ I bring a calculator to the store to determine prices per oz/lb to see which is really the better deal.

3/ Turn of unnecessary lights, heaters, appliances in the house.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 PM

11,889 posts, read 14,355,740 times
Summer is the season for free concerts. I have been to four, next year shoot for a dozen, free movies at the library, averaging one a month. Don't buy bottled water, but have received so many for free anyway. During my lengthy unemployment went to th senior center for coffee.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Water your yard/grass in the middle of the night (use a timer) to avoid the heat of the day and make the watering more effective.
SOP here in the desert. The water district can ticket you if you are watering during certain times. I have mine set for 3 waterings, starting at 11pm and ending 3am. With today's showers I even remembered to turn it off. Now I have to remember to turn it back on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Do your laundry in the evening when the electrical costs are cheaper.
So simple, yet so effective. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:01 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,702,479 times
Many good ideas here, a few of mine...
Use coupons if possible.
Don't buy new vehicles, my husband got ours at the local auction.
Don't leave lights on in an empty room.
If possible open windows on summer nights, close in the the morning.
If I'm out and want a frappe (not too often) I go to McDonalds instead of Starbucks.
Save old toothbrushes for small cleaning jobs.
Groom the dog yourself.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:51 PM

655 posts, read 761,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
I love to read other peoples ideas... one thing I do to help save money is cut and use coupons. Even when I did not feel I had to I did...not using them and knowing I have them drives me crazy...I have said "No, not this trip" to go home and get the coupon and then come back and use it...what do you do to save money?
Here are some things I do in order to save money:

(1) As you noted, shop with coupons--or buy the store brand, when cheaper;
(2) Never purchase bottled water;
(3) Never purchase soda, alcoholic beverages, or any other superfluous drink;
(4) Never go out to eat, unless it's for fast food, at even then, only do it on occasion, and don't spend more than $2.00 (i.e., order two items off of the "Dollar Menu");
(5) Don't use A/C in the summer months, unless it's unbearably hot--use ceiling fans and/or box fans instead;
(6) Keep your heat (preferably gas heat, as that is cheaper) set on 58 F at night, 60 F during the day, in the winter months;
(7) Take short showers with luke-warm or cool water;
(8) Try to eat at least half of your meals cold, as heating up meals consumes money;
(9) Turn off all fans, lights, TVs, etc. whenever you're not using them, or whenever you leave the room;
(10) Get rid of cable service;
(11) Even better, get rid of your TV;
(12) Lose the car and use public transport, if possible;
(13) Walk as many places as you can, if you have the ability to do so;
(14) Purchase all of your furniture, household items, cookware, etc. at thrift stores, yard sales, and estate sales;
(15) Purchase all of your clothing and accessories at thrift stores;
(16) Cut your own hair;
(17) Use energy efficient bubs;
(18) Even if fixtures such as chandeliers and fans have sockets for more than one light bulb, never screw more than one bulb into a fixture--and never use more than a 40 W energy efficient bub;
(19) Your eyes will adjust over time, so try to live with less light, keeping most of the lights off (i.e., try not to have more than one light on in your house at any given time, excluding the porch light);
(20) Purchase the least costly telephone or cell phone service in your area, but don't have both--there's no reason to have a land line and a cell phone;
(21) Don't have parties at your house, as that can cost quite a bit;
(22) Don't date anyone who's not similarly frugal;
(23) If you're tempted to purchase something, think to yourself, is this item something I need or just something I want? If it falls into the latter category, forego it;
(24) Don't go to the movies;
(25) Don't purchase CDs or DVDs;
(26) Don't purchase new clothing or accessories until yours begin to look a bit scruffy;
(27) Do laundry no more than twice a month, preferably once a month in the cold months;
(28) If you have a credit card, pay off the balance each month;
(29) Don't buy plastic garbage bags. Instead, use the plastic bags you get from the grocery store, or even the paper ones.

That's all I can think of at this moment. If I can think of anything else, I'll post.

Last edited by The King of Um; 09-01-2013 at 06:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living