Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 07:32 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,689 times

Advertisements

I walk to the grocery store. Take 2 burlap bags and since I can only carry so much, I avoid impluse shopping. I spend about $50 a week. Nice savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 08:19 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,797 times
I make my shopping list from the sales ad and use coupons if I can save money, sometimes a store brand is still cheaper than using the coupon. Also do lots of buy one get one free. I find I save money by shopping every two weeks, on the odd week I will get bread, milk and that is all.

I stay out of the stores unless there are great clearance sales. I have a shopping "problem" and that is my way to control it. Also only use my debit card for gas and groceries.

I like to flea market shop for big items, also garage sale.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:03 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,932,038 times
I'm saving this thread. That ought to help!

Also: Pay your bills on time. You'll avoid late fees and preserve your credit rating which will equate to better interest rates.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:12 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,171 times
1. Don't buy cigarettes (about $5 a pack)

2. Don't buy at Starbuck's (about $4 a cup)

3. Don't use credit cards - pay with cash. You will spend less and you won't leave a paper trail of your purchases

4. Don't buy a computer. I use the one at the library (it's free!) and when it crashes, someone else pays to fix it. No IPS fees!

Old 02-26-2007, 04:47 PM

279 posts, read 1,859,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I try to eat at home and make things up with what I have in the cupboards or refrigerator. I ignore Starbucks, grind and brew my own coffee, buy my clothes about once every two years at Sam's Club or Target, never go to the Movies (I just can't justify the expense to myself), keep my satellite tv (the only reception I can get where I am) on the minimum with no specialty channels, stay within my four free cell phone hours a month, keep the house at 60F when it's cold and just put on more sweats or more blankets to keep warm, and I don't use credit cards. I use my debit. If I can't afford it, I don't buy it. I drive a 98 Toyota Tacoma I bought new that runs perfectly and is in great shape and paid for, own my house outright, so no mortgage, and like I said a sec. ago, no credit card debt. My biggest expense is my health insurance which pisses me off! One thing about almost meeting my Maker back in May was that it cost $20,000 in hospital expenses and I paid out $75. I finally felt like I got some value for all I've paid over the years!
Gee MOMark I can't understand why your relationships don't work out I am only teasing you, please don't take offense. I just finished reading your post on Paula Lynn's thread about getting over her relationship.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:23 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
I am incredibly stingy about some things and extravagent about others. I use that little toothpaste tube press to get the last smidgeon out of the tube, scrap out the last of a lipstick and have several outfits that are more than 15 years old.

Reuse take home containers for kids school snacks and will take things from another's trash heap- frames, old furniture, almost new towels.... but I 'll spend $200 to take my kids to the symphony and then to this neat restaurant for dessert afterwards, stay in high-end hotels on vacation and buy good wine.

I buy pantyhose at WalMart (George brand- they are great!) but pay through the nose for skin care products. I pay a little more on my mortgage than I have to most months and for the third year in a row, paid cash for Christmas gifts & holiday things.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:44 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
I try to do the following:

1. Always look for the sales.

2. Go to matinees if you must go to movies.

3. Never buy food and drinks at movies; it can add up to more than your ticket!

4. Drive your car until the doors and/or wheels fall off.

5. When your car's resale value drops enough, go to the lowest insurance coverage you can legally get away with.

6. If you're a bibliophile like me, shop at used book stores as much as possible.

7. Don't always get the biggest, most expensive new TV, Ipod, cell phone, etc.

8. Make sure you need something before you commit to the monthly bill - i.e. "upgrading" from analog cable to digital cable (why do I want 300 channels of nothing on when I already have almost 100 channels to flip through?).

9. If you have a thermostat, keep the temperature at 65 degrees in the winter and 85 in the summer. (I have a thermostat for the wall heater, but only a window unit A/C that's almost useless).

10. Make sure your home is well insulated - but also well ventilated.

11. Don't buy more food than you need (an issue in my house; I'm always throwing away old, expired, moldy, unrecognizable food).

12. If you find yourself gaining weight and growing out of your clothes, exercise. (On that same note, never buy clothes that have elastic!)

I may think of more, but for now, these will do.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:49 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,392 times
When paying for a term of college tuition, use 'the credit card' that, if you pay the balance within 30 days, you get money back.

Is this also thrifty household hints? lol -- Instead of buying those Swiffer floor dusting treated sheets, just pop on a paper towel on the end and give it a quick spray of furniture polish/dusting spray.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:00 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
Is this also thrifty household hints? lol -- Instead of buying those Swiffer floor dusting treated sheets, just pop on a paper towel on the end and give it a quick spray of furniture polish/dusting spray.
lol seashelly
it sure is, because my experience when I have gotten furniture polish on my floors they became so slick I could "skate" around in my socks so it would be saving money not going to a skating rink.
lol I even fell down like I do at the skating rink
yeah my DH laughed at me instead of picking me up

oh yeah be careful when spraying Pam in the kitchen it has the same effect on the floors.
karla

Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 AM

364 posts, read 526,817 times
I hate to spend money on things you continually use. Such as grocerie staples, gas, toiletries, ect. I have not bought toothpaste without a coupon in years. And I buy it at a dollar store. A local dollar store just had a rebate book out on toiletries and household stuff so between that, there already low prices and coupons I paid 10% for those items. I always look at gas prices. In the 5 gas stations closest to my house, one is always 0.10 - 0.25 cents cheaper. I am amazed at how many people I talk to don't even look at the prices. These things really add up over time. There are alot of misconceptions out there. Like wealthy people don't ever watch what they spend. That's simply not true. Sometimes that helped them get where they are.

I save money on everyday things so I can travel. That is my hobby and passion. It is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living