Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 02:49 PM

338 posts, read 1,442,077 times

Advertisements

I love to read other peoples ideas... one thing I do to help save money is cut and use coupons. Even when I did not feel I had to I did...not using them and knowing I have them drives me crazy...I have said "No, not this trip" to go home and get the coupon and then come back and use it...what do you do to save money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2006, 02:58 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,745,637 times
When I'm (clothes) shopping at a mall or just about anywhere and I see something I really want, I walk around the store for awhile and usually talk myself out of it. I think, do I really need it? Do I have room for it? Is there something better I can do with the money?

When I food shop, I buy what's on sale and stock up on those items. I love Costco.

The best thing I do is transfer a credit card balance to a 0% interest card. I don't have a high credit card debt (less then $2,000) but I think in 24 years of having credit cards I've only paid interest about five times.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:02 PM

I don't know what a Costco is but we go to BJ's and Sams Club...I also buy at the Salvation Army...mostly my husbands work clothes and my jeans and sweaters...I am a HUGE clearance fan...I go directly to the Clearance racks in all my normal shopping stores....it is my therapy to shop clearance!

Old 10-15-2006, 03:07 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,745,637 times
Costco is similiar to BJ's & Sams Club.

If you have a Kohl's near you, they have have great clearance sales. The last two years I bought a couple nice sweaters for $3.00 & $5.00, I don't know how they stay in business.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:18 PM

156 posts, read 790,832 times
Default Saving Money...

I almost never pay full retail. In fact, I love to shop the clearance racks toward the end of the season and buy clothes one size bigger for my kids for the following season. I feel like I've hit the jackpot when I can use a coupon on clearance rack items!!!

At the grocery store, I "cherry pick". I always stock up on "buy one get one free" offers. Again again I use coupons (my grocery doubles the amount) and I love it when I have a coupon that is double on a BOGO item.

I buy my gas at Sam's Club. I also shop for items like milk, bread, eggs, meat and cleaning supplies at Sam's Club and I go with a list. If I don't have a list I walk out there having spent far more than I intended.

We always buy used cars. Both of our vehicles were 2 years old when we bought them. Our 2005 Prius only had 600 miles on it when we bought it this last year and we saved a couple thousand dollars.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:20 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,366,136 times
Buy a nice suit from a secondhand thrift store, then have it tailored for some $50 and then you've got a nice cheap tailored suit. It can save hundreds of dollars.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:31 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,964,071 times
I try to eat at home and make things up with what I have in the cupboards or refrigerator. I ignore Starbucks, grind and brew my own coffee, buy my clothes about once every two years at Sam's Club or Target, never go to the Movies (I just can't justify the expense to myself), keep my satellite tv (the only reception I can get where I am) on the minimum with no specialty channels, stay within my four free cell phone hours a month, keep the house at 60F when it's cold and just put on more sweats or more blankets to keep warm, and I don't use credit cards. I use my debit. If I can't afford it, I don't buy it. I drive a 98 Toyota Tacoma I bought new that runs perfectly and is in great shape and paid for, own my house outright, so no mortgage, and like I said a sec. ago, no credit card debt. My biggest expense is my health insurance which pisses me off! One thing about almost meeting my Maker back in May was that it cost $20,000 in hospital expenses and I paid out $75. I finally felt like I got some value for all I've paid over the years!

Old 10-15-2006, 03:46 PM

I know how you feel...I can't justify paying $250.00 to rent a hall for my daughter's grauation party...I'm trying to figure out a way to get chairs and tables without having to pay...$250 just to use the building! Crazy!

Old 10-15-2006, 03:51 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,171,589 times
I also do not use credit cards. It is amazing how much you pay in interest each month . I also have no debt, other than my monthly utility bills.

When I food shop I buy whole chickens and whole turkeys. There are always leftovers, and I always make soup from the carcass. I buy mostly store brand items (many of them are made by the same plant as the brand names).

I start my Christmas shopping on Dec. 26th every year, and take advantage of the deep discounts.

I do my own oil changes & other vehicle maint. at home.

I use my wood stove for heat, and have not paid for any wood. There is always free firewood somewhere.

I do not buy any products from my vet. All of my heartworm/flea control, shampoo, etc. gets ordered online for substantially less than what the vet sells it for.

My husband recycles everything! When we bought this house there was an old C-band sattelite dish in the yard, you know the big hulking monster dish from the 80's. He disassembled it, and has used every single part from it in various projects around the house.

We grow veggies & fruits. I have not bought much produce from a store in years. If only I could figure out how to grow steak in the garden....

Old 10-15-2006, 06:25 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,328,054 times
It really doesn't take alot to feed the 2 of us, but I use coupons and stock up on sales. It's not really saving money, but I have an old coffee can that I throw all of my change in to. When the can gets full, I cash it in and it feels like I'm getting a free weeks worth of groceries. Then I can save the money I normally would have used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living