Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 11:13 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times

Advertisements

I've been going to thrift stores (and pawn shops) for years.
(With great success)

I've done auctions here and there, but recently I've been going to more.

It's been QUITE lucrative.

Everything from building materials to 26 dollies I bought for $20, and have sold for $10-$13 per.

Today I picked up 36 canning jars for $0.27/per, several things for a dollar....

I don't know why people buy dishes new. My set was $5.

It's even lead to other opportunities. Going to be cleaning out a warehouse and a church next weekend from a auction contact.
Getting enough cash to pay off labor, all I have to do is drive the trailer with what we want to keep and sell. (My physical abilities are limited.)

Make enough cash from selling stuff to cover all costs, put a little cash in my pocket, and I end up with building material, fencing, tools, home goods, all kinds of things.... if you hate it... ok, but for me it's entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 02:30 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
It's good as long as you need the things you're getting, or have an easy way to sell them. Otherwise, you'll just end up with too much stuff, and then it starts costing money to store it.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's good as long as you need the things you're getting, or have an easy way to sell them. Otherwise, you'll just end up with too much stuff, and then it starts costing money to store it.
I agree with that, but I guess some people really do enjoy the game of buying and selling. To me, the profit wouldn't be worth the effort and time. I know some people do make a side living doing just what Op does. We had a neighbor who used to do this. And yes, their garage was so crowded they couldn't get the car into it. Eventually he passed away and she gave the side business up, after having several garage sales to depose of all she could. She has since moved away.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:31 AM

14,473 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
True. When we go to large church yard sales we go with the intent to buy certain items or to buy items that we know can sell. We recently bought a 4 foot table with folding legs for $3 and sold it for $15. That paid for a tank of gas for one vehicle. We see others at these sales just grabbing stuff with seemingly no regard to whether they might really need it.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:15 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
The real money is in lot auctions of old computers, cell phones and other storage electronics. You would not belive the stuff people leave on their old computers when they dump them. The physical items is a wash as the cost to dump the garbage or what little you get from the recyclers barely cover the bid price. But, the info sold to the data brokers is gold! Medical records on a prominent individual is worth a few hundred and political communications is worth thousands. Most time you'll be surprised how few people bid on these lots opposed to a box of broken watches where they hope to find just one beaten up rolex.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:04 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Rabrrita, I'd suspect that selling other people's information is highly illegal?

Hedgehog_Mom is right that you need a place to sell the stuff or it will accumulate like crazy. Even if you have a place to sell it, it can still accumulate like crazy. We're part of a resale shop and we go to auctions, yard sales, thrift shops, etc., looking for things that can be resold for higher. Generally, I want to buy something for between $1 and $3 that can be resold for between $15 and $45. From what I've noticed, the most common markup we get is from buying $2 to selling at $26.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:21 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Rabrrita, I'd suspect that selling other people's information is highly illegal?
Not anymore.

Supreme Court:"You Bought It, You Own It, You Can Resell It"
The United States Supreme Court decided a case that reinforced the right to re-sell something that you had lawfully bought.

It was a couple years ago and it's true impact still is being figured out but so long as it's not specific protected information such as social security numbers, everything else is pretty much fair game if the person sold an item containing that information. If I sell a file cabinet, it's not sold subject to never reading the papers inside. The US Supreme Court said once sold the item and it's contents belong to the buyer.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:43 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
OP, where do you sell all the stuff you buy? Craigslist?

Old 06-13-2017, 11:24 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
For years I hunted for old Coach bags. The really GOOD leather ones. I would restore and sell them for big bucks. I enjoyed doing it and the bags were timeless. But now they are hard to find and people want a lot more money for them.

My big score happened at a bead store. They were selling an antique signed heart netsuke as a $4.95 accent bead. I scooped it up right away. Turned out it was worth a couple thousand bucks. I still have it and it has continued to go up in value. One of these days I will sell it. Till then, it's quite happy living in my jewelry box.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:00 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
OP, where do you sell all the stuff you buy? Craigslist?
Cragslist, my partner posts on Facebook yardsale pages with success, for quite a few things we have had someone in mind and have either delivered, or have had them come pick them up on
site.

There's an auction locally I go to to buy.... it's VERY low paying (I picked up a Coleman camp stove with hose Saturday for a dollar.
I wanted the hose....) when/if we get stuck with too much junk I'll take the junk there to get rid of it so we aren't stuck with "lots of junk" (one of those where everything goes)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living