U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 04:25 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times

Advertisements

Yahoo! Finance - Financially Fit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 04:27 PM

24,720 posts, read 26,785,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I think he goes a little too far with it, especially on not buying any gifts, but the general principles can't be argued with.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:15 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,558,174 times
I like the no-gift idea. I certainly do not care about receiving any gifts, and think most people feel the same
way (except children of course) Of course if it weren't for all those Holidays, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Valentines Day, Birthdays, Aniverseries, Christmas, etc etc., What would Madison Ave. due with us.
We would not be following the pack. Would we collapse the economy, or just stay out of debt?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:12 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:

The ONLY thing that really bothered me was heading into a restaurant to use the free WiFi without spending money at he establishment. It is a real pet peeve of mine - the freeloader factor.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
We have not done gifts in years for adults and no one really cares one way or the other.
The travel is a different story since we live on the outskirts of town and the nearest big
grocery is 25 miles away and the nearest convenience store is 2 miles away.
The wi-fi is not acceptable, if he is good enough to walk into the place for the wifi he should be
making a purchase or go to the library for their free wifi.
We don't have any debt outside of monthly expenses either so the only non frugal aspect of
our lives is the grocery store. We eat very well all the time and I never skimp on good quality
food items and ingredients.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:24 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,173,864 times
If you have a large family or even a medium family, cousins, brothers, sisters, moms, dads, etc and you buy them a gift every x mas, every birthday, etc that stuff adds up.

Why reward businesses because those business have found a way to set a precedent that if you dont purchase items for people, you're "Scrooge" etc.?

Why reward that? Big Business has created a huge "Stigma" and that if you dont purchase material items, you somehow love your friends and family "less"?

Its bad and i commend this guy for just saying no.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,173,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The ONLY thing that really bothered me was heading into a restaurant to use the free WiFi without spending money at he establishment. It is a real pet peeve of mine - the freeloader factor.
I was in Starbucks today (very hot weather) and a young person (i wont mention his race) came in, pants halfway down his rear end, and asked for water. He got the water, didnt make a purchase, and walked out. I was like "really?"

Old 09-05-2013, 08:21 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I was in Starbucks today (very hot weather) and a young person (i wont mention his race) came in, pants halfway down his rear end, and asked for water. He got the water, didnt make a purchase, and walked out. I was like "really?"

About once a week, I head into Panera for breakfast for a couple of hours as I need to use the WiFi. I see twelve people getting together for a meeting ... not one has any food or drink from Panera and two have Starbucks cups. I dpn't have problems with people holding meetings in a restaurant BUT they should buy something to pay for the use of the space.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:29 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times
If I were to sum this guy up, I would just say Cheap. Must be a blast to go out with.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:58 PM

207 posts, read 312,252 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing! I agree with him on everything except using Starbucks' wifi without buying anything, walking for miles to get somewhere and not getting gifts for family.

If you love the people in your life, it's nice to show them that you do. However, maybe to some people "not buying gifts" just means not buying unnecessary junk. I like giving people things that they need, or an experience (may a concert, or a class, or cooking lessons, etc) vs just stuff that they may not want in the first place.

As for walking for miles just to save on bus fare, that's just ridiculous. To most of us "time is money"!

All in all, a great article though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living