U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 10:47 AM

354 posts, read 729,257 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

What are some good cheap recipes? I am a single guy and I never feel like cooking so I have been spending way to much eating out. I basically want to go from eating out a few times a week to a few times a month.

What are somea EASY, cheap and good recipes that you can recomend? Since it is only me I can be very flexable with my food but I want to keep the serving sizes down to one or two people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 10:57 AM

11,689 posts, read 16,437,401 times
Anything with tortillas is my "singles solution".

2 slices of ham, top with scrambled egg, top with cheese, in the pan and close the lid for one minute
1/2 chicken breast thinly sliced, 1/2 bell pepper, 1/4 onion, salt/pepper/hot sauce (or 1 hot pepper), stir fry, let sit for a minute or two
2nd half of the chicken breast, salt/lemon pepper, in the pan, 2-3 minutes on medium, turn it for 2-3 minutes, deglaze with a shot of wine or beer or water, close the lid for 5 minutes. Slice it, avocado slices, salsa. Or a dash of soy, some peanuts and shredded lettuce.

BTW - fold tortillas and heat them in a toaster on LOW setting.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,681,510 times
stir fry ground turkey or ground beef. Throw in some frozen veggies and rice, use a little garlic salt.

Buy some brown rice and make it up ahead and freeze in single size zip lock bags for quick microwave thaw.

Buy some bags of frozen veggies to toss some into stuff.

I keep a big bag of diced turkey ham, onions & green peppers in the freezer (prep stuff when watching TV) and grab a handful, throw it in a frying pan and while its heating mix a couple of eggs in a bowl w/milk or water, toss on the egg mix and cover the pan for a couple of minutes, throw a slice of cheese on top --- great omlette!

Make ahead: boil macaroni and mix 2 cups with can of chili, top with some cheese and microwave for a couple of minutes. Easy chili-mac casserole

Old 09-12-2013, 12:26 PM

4,674 posts, read 4,580,073 times
I made lentil soup last night for under $11. It makes about 10 servings. You can either eat it for days or freeze it. Soups in general are very economical. You only really need to know how to do a couple of things to make a lot of them:

1) Chop 1 onion, 2 stalks of celery, 2-3 carrots
2) Saute them in your stock pot until the onion is tender
3) Add a minced clove of garlic, and some dried seasonings (like oregano, basil) and salt
4) Add 2 cups of lentils, 1 large can of tomato (diced, stewed.. doesn't really matter), add a lot of water (like 8 cups)
5) Bring to boil, then turn it down to simmer (small bubbles), cover, wait until everything is tender and then it's done!
6) Season it with hot sauce, more spices. I like to add spinach and cilantro

The first 3 steps is generally the base of a lot of soups. I do it for bean soup, potato soup and cream of spinach soup.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:33 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,326,000 times
Steamed white rice sprinkled with flavorings - my faves are peanuts and dried seaweed, or just rice with preserved tofu or pickled veggie on the side.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:51 PM

33,542 posts, read 51,750,301 times
Here are some examples ( don't get offended by the title, though - it supposed to mean, for budget, savvy people )
25 Poor Man Cheap Meals and Frugal Recipes | RecipeLion.com
10 Tips for the Single Grocery Shopper
The $25 Food Project: One Man, Seven Days, 21 Meals
Bachelor Meals: 5 Simple One Skillet Meals | The Art of Manliness
A Bachelor's Complete Guide to 5 Days of Easy, Healthy & Delicious Meals | elephant journal
www.mealsforyou.com: About Cookies
Top 10 Meals on a*Budget - Listverse
The Single Men's recipes thread. - BloodyKnux.com
Cheap Meal Ideas | ThriftyFun

Check the links and see which appeal to you the most, and have easy to follow recipes.
Have fun cooking!!

Old 09-12-2013, 01:17 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,567,363 times
At work I went from spending about $120. a pay period for breakfast and lunch to spending $1.50 or less a day. I now eat breakfast at home, what ever left overs we may have or 2 scrambled eggs a slice of ham, placed on 3 Corn Tortillas. Takes maybe 5 or 6 minutes to make.

My normal breakfast directions:

Put some butter or margarine in one pan and melt. Place the 3 corn tortillas in that pan and cook them for about a minute. I like mine a bit crunchy with the softness still there partially. To get to that point you will want to cook them till part of the tortilla has some golden brown spots on it. Flip over to do the other side. After you flip it over put the eggs in another pan with some melted butter or margerine and cook them with out breaking the yokes. Try and cook the white's untill it is mostly done then break the yokes and cook them. I find that gives the eggs more flavor. Once the eggs have set up place the ham in the pan as well. Remove the eggs when they are cooked but still have a glossy color to them. They should not be runny at all. By then the tortillas should be done. Place those on a plate and place the eggs on the tortillas. When the ham is finished, and I like mine to be slighty grilled with a brownish marking then I cut that up and place it over the eggs. Fold and eat.

For lunch I have a salad from our salad bar. It is sold by weight. I normally have raw spinage, with carrots, cucumbers, maybe some sliced onion, mushrooms and what ever else and I don't like dressing. That cost me anywhere from $1.20 to $1.35 I drink water with it and that doesn't cost me anything.

I will also eat fruit that I bring or find around work. People will eliminate a platter full of donuts but leave a bowl full of fruit untouched. Guess which one is better for you? We have places in the hospital that always seem to have fruit laying around.

I am always looking at how much I spend on food at work. Even if I had to buy the fruit at the cafeteria, fresh fruit cost $0.49 a piece where as a candy bar cost us $1.25 at the gift shop. The fruit is more filling and your body doesn't store it like it would the sugar from a candy bar. I have to tell you is is more satisfying spending $15 a pay period or less than spending $120 a pay period. Now If I can cut out the spending all together. LOL

Old 09-12-2013, 03:15 PM

10,712 posts, read 19,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
Hello All,

What are some good cheap recipes? I am a single guy and I never feel like cooking so I have been spending way to much eating out. I basically want to go from eating out a few times a week to a few times a month.

What are somea EASY, cheap and good recipes that you can recomend? Since it is only me I can be very flexable with my food but I want to keep the serving sizes down to one or two people.
Check the Food forum http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-drink/

Old 09-12-2013, 04:46 PM

354 posts, read 729,257 times
Wow Thank You so much for the links! I will be sure to check them out!

Old 09-12-2013, 06:06 PM

293 posts, read 383,447 times
Refrigerator Oatmeal

Overnight, No-Cook Refrigerator Oatmeal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living