U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:09 AM

559 posts, read 682,758 times

Advertisements

I couldn't figure out where to place this topic but I'm trying to find out if there is anybody else out there like me, polar opposite of a hoarder I guess. I don't have any desire to own a home or property, an automobile, or any sort of possessions other than the bare necessities. I even sleep on a cot because it's comfortable and I see no point in buying a bed. And I'm currently exploring a relocation that will allow me to not have to have a domicile, temporarily at least, so I can build up a rainy day fund AND enjoy hassle free life for awhile.

I've done some research and so far all I have found are "off the grid" living situations that have some similarities, survivalists, or people that live on the edge of society like gypsies or hobos. I don't even identify with the homeless who are often not there by choice with many pushing around a ton of belongings in a shopping cart, whereas if I can't fit it into a backpack I'm extremely unhappy.

My family thinks I'm nuts because I have no desire to live the American Dream of land ownership like they do. It's just never been something I remotely desired and it has nothing to do with politics, environmental footprint, higher calling, rejection of traditional values, or any of the other baloney that the fringe is often accused of.

So does this make me just very frugal in ways many folks never dreamed of? Because the way I see it, the less I own the less I have to worry about and the less money I have to part with in the end. Are there others that are like this too? If so, share your insight. When I do have a place of my own, I like small spaces, very small, like one-room small, could this be part of the appeal of folks that live out of an RV? How about the one room cabin folks that live in the Alaska wilderness completely cut-off and removed from the world? Not my desire, but I envy their lack of junk they have to haul around.

And if anyone knows of an existing thread or website where I can locate like-minded people, please private me. I've done several key word searches and found nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 11:50 AM

355 posts, read 732,612 times
Great post. I totally know where you are coming from. Stuff just weighs you down and certainly accumulates over time. Buying and selling real estate and cars can be a real pain. I too have decided that instead of buying things, I would rather buy experiences through traveling or seeing a rare performance. I applaud your discipline in this matter and wish more people thought like you and I. Consumerism is garbage.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:20 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,731,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Stuff just weighs you down and certainly accumulates over time.
Only when you CHOOSE to buy new stuff without getting rid of old stuff.

DH and I are a one-in, one-out couple.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:27 PM

7,146 posts, read 12,737,963 times
I probably never will own a home, but I will likely be the owner of a sailboat capable of going far and wide.
Maybe your income would be better spent on travel. Live out of a backpack and see the world.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:06 PM

4,681 posts, read 4,585,330 times
I just bought a book called the "Zero-Waste Home". I think the author could identify with you. I certainly do.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:16 PM

350 posts, read 573,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
My family thinks I'm nuts

the way I see it, the less I own the less I have to worry about and the less money I have to part with in the end. .

I don't know if you're nuts but you aren't too good at math.

The less you own means the less you purchased which means the more money you have to part with in the end. Now if you don't work, that's a different story. If that's the case, who is going to support you? Me?

Do you want companionship? A spouse? A sex partner? Kids? How many "normal" chicks are going to go along with your plan?

What do you want to bet you'll be "just like the rest of us" as soon as this "spell" wears off?

Old 09-20-2013, 02:11 PM

8,239 posts, read 9,998,349 times
I remember folks spouting this idealistic attitude back in the 60's, when hordes of similarly-minded individuals headed to Haight Ashbury or California hippie communes. The migration quickly bashed it's disillusioned nose against the realities of a 'gypsy lifestyle.' By the early 70's, few vestiges of these communes remained.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:41 PM

4,681 posts, read 4,585,330 times
You guys should really google Zero Waste House and check out Bea's blog. You are being judgemental and the comparison of the decision to live without clutter and not make waste today is very different than it was 50 years ago.

Actually, I married a guy who was just this sort of individual and at first I made fun of him. Ten years later I'm emulating his original behaviors... and it's making us healthier, aware of our environmental impact, and save tens of thousands a year.

I think if anything the "spell" is going to wear off on anyone who believes that this hyper level of conspicuous and convenience consumption is perfectly fine and ought to continue.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:02 PM

350 posts, read 573,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
You guys should really google Zero Waste House and check out Bea's blog. You are being judgemental and the comparison of the decision to live without clutter and not make waste today is very different than it was 50 years ago.

Actually, I married a guy who was just this sort of individual and at first I made fun of him. Ten years later I'm emulating his original behaviors... and it's making us healthier, aware of our environmental impact, and save tens of thousands a year.

I think if anything the "spell" is going to wear off on anyone who believes that this hyper level of conspicuous and convenience consumption is perfectly fine and ought to continue.
There's a big difference between overconsuming and not being neurotically detached from ownership.

Nobody is suggesting our original poster own 69 pairs of shoes but he deserves at least a challenge when suggesting a lifestyle that few partners would want and isn't likely to provide a stable parenthood.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:12 PM

2,581 posts, read 5,475,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
Where do you work or what do you do for money?
Where do you live currently or sleep currently?
Where are you making this post from/on??

Minimalism seems to be your angle; I'd look that up. A lot of people are getting into it, but still live in an apartment or house. Very hard to do , but they do it. I've read blogs about it. But that kinda contradicts itself to me. They expand their digital world by blogging and doing social media, yet aspire to live on a small amount of possessions.

The hardest part for me would be where to live. To feel at all safe, you'd have to have some sort of place you regularly go, unless you plan on living in the park or in the forest. At least a studio apartment or a comfortable car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwashed_in_church View Post
I don't know if you're nuts but you aren't too good at math.

The less you own means the less you purchased which means the more money you have to part with in the end. Now if you don't work, that's a different story. If that's the case, who is going to support you? Me?

Do you want companionship? A spouse? A sex partner? Kids? How many "normal" chicks are going to go along with your plan?

What do you want to bet you'll be "just like the rest of us" as soon as this "spell" wears off?
Since we're being judgmental, I'm willing to bet you're the type of neighbor who would rub someone's nose in the fact that their McMansion is 0.000003 acres smaller than yours and their choice to wear white after labor day is low class ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living