Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:44 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times

Advertisements

I dont think you can put a price on the benefits of sanitizing dishes (and other items -- I sanitize my hairbrush, dog combs/brushes and other household items) in the dishwasher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 08:47 AM

155 posts, read 347,935 times
Absolutely.

I also use it to cook as well - thow a dozen eggs in the dishwasher with the load and then make deviled eggs when it's done!

Old 09-28-2013, 08:48 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass45 View Post
I cut back 2-3 months ago on my dishwasher i wash by hand and i notice my eletric bill has gone down even months ago when i use to run the air condition like crazy and i also avoided baking
Don't have one! Wouldn't have one if you gave it to me. They are LOUD. I rather enjoy doing the dishes.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-28-2013, 08:51 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
We have about one load a day. Cuts down the germs since the water heats up to sterilize the dishes. I would use it for that alone. Sorry for those whose finances are so close. That must happen further into retirement. Our friends in their 80's seem to be closer with their money.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:53 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
I cut back 2-3 months ago on my dishwasher i wash by hand and i notice my eletric bill has gone down even months ago when i use to run the air condition like crazy and i also avoided baking
That's extremely short-sighted. Dishwashers save use less water -- therefore, less energy -- than handwashing.

As for baking ... Home-baked foods cost less than prepared foods.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:57 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Only when we have guests for dinner and/or overnight.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:14 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
We miss our dishwasher, since there's none here. They do save water and electricity over handwashing, and a modern dishwasher is not loud.

For those whose dishwashers run long, check your settings. Unless your dishes are really crusty, most modern dishwashers will get them clean with an economy setting, if yours has that feature, light or standard wash setting otherwise. No need for an extra rinse or sanitize cycle, and no need to heat dry. We just opened our dishwasher door to let out the moist air and let them dry that way. Same as if you had them in a rack on the counter, but no counter clutter. Or you could towel dry them as soon as the rinse cycle is done.

The dishwasher has a heating element inside which brings the water temp up to a minimum of 140 degrees, hotter than you can use to hand wash. Modern dishwashers are cold-fill, so they do not use water from your hot water heater to fill.

Here you can find comparisons of the efficiency of dishwashers vs. hand wash.

Built In Dishwashers vs. Hand Washing: Which is Greener? : TreeHugger

Handwashing vs. Dishwasher : ENERGY STAR

Old 09-28-2013, 09:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Yup. I keep plastic bags in it. Thin produce bags in the left side, carry-home bags in the right side, which I use as trash liners. They're now packed in tight, I can't reuse them fast enough.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:52 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
I have never been a fan of washing dishes. I will do it if necessary but prefer to let the dishwasher do it. Just easier for me. I noticed I have to run my every couple of days and it seems like I will be out of a fork or knife and know it is time to run my dishwasher.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:26 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,343 times
I rarely use it, but I do run it thru a cycle once a month. I may use it when I have company for dinner (maybe twice a year so I want it to be working when I need it. I wouldn't have one in the apt except it came with one!

I'm a one person household and I find it's more trouble then it's worth, I'd rather just wash as I go instead of dirty dishes piling up.
Actually come to think of it I don't have that many dishes to let them pile up for days! I don't like all the time involved in using a dishwasher. I'd rather get them washed on the spot and put away!

I like to save energy. This is why I don't have a clothes dryer. Just use a rack. Same as for dishes.

I enjoy washing them by hand as another posted said they do!

Last edited by Littlelu; 09-28-2013 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living