Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 04:16 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times

Advertisements

Some online purchases require the buyer to pay for shipping back, making it impractical for heavier/bulkier lower cost items...less of a financial loss to trash it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 04:36 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Bought a keyboard that had an easy touch. Turns out it was too easy. After trying to get used to it, decided to return, but, couldn't find the receipt. Since the store was Walmart, I decided to try anyway and discovered they keep a record of returns with receipts or without. If a customer has too many returns without receipt during a certain period of time, a return is denied. Otherwise, allowed. It was so nice to be back to a regular touch keyboard where I could expect the same old errors.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:59 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,749 times
Yep, I always keep the receipt and original packaging for a while til I see if it's in good order.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:53 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
I would always return any defective item I bought new.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:47 AM

355 posts, read 913,152 times
I don't care if I'll only get a dollar back after expenses to return something. If you don't return something the stores may not realize there is a problem with the product. Some online stores if the item is cheap enough will offer the refund without having to send it in.

Send a message to the retailers that you will not tolerate junk and their manufacturers will be required to step up their game!

Old 10-06-2013, 11:01 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
If you don't tolarate junk, don't buy "Made in China". Perhaps if enough of us buy American we can put many people back to work!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Some online purchases require the buyer to pay for shipping back, making it impractical for heavier/bulkier lower cost items...less of a financial loss to trash it.
Most of what I buy is from places that have a local store that you can return it to or that pay for the return on defective merchandise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Bought a keyboard that had an easy touch. Turns out it was too easy. After trying to get used to it, decided to return, but, couldn't find the receipt. Since the store was Walmart, I decided to try anyway and discovered they keep a record of returns with receipts or without. If a customer has too many returns without receipt during a certain period of time, a return is denied. Otherwise, allowed. It was so nice to be back to a regular touch keyboard where I could expect the same old errors.
We were in line once at a Wal-Mart and someone was returning small items like deodorant, bar of soap, etc. The lady gave him the money and told him it was like his 3rd return without a receipt within a certain period of time. She told us that people come in and shoplift items and return them for cash so they must limit the amount of returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
If you don't tolarate junk, don't buy "Made in China". Perhaps if enough of us buy American we can put many people back to work!
Easier said than done and I really try. I wanted an electric steamer/rice cooker that could do 2 items at once. I emailed some better companies with higher priced units and they all came back that "like other manufacturers our electric items are manufactured in China", so I was looking at another and wrote the company and they probably 10 that were not made in China but in Japan. The lowest cost was almost $200.00 and you could only do rice in it. So, I'm not buying one. I do shop Lehman's (non-electric, sort of caters to Amish) and they developed a page for USA made after I complained that some of their items did not tell in what country they were manufactured.

I shop Goodwill also and we have a lot of really old people who have things tucked away that surface after they leave their homes so maybe I'll find something USA made eventually.

Also, my husband was reading an article about problems with the Chinese electrics causing fires so? I do realize they build these items to what the businessmen specify, those businessmen that fill their pockets with the profits they reap by using cheap labor and they sell the junk to us hoping we'll just buy a new one every 90 days or less.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:12 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Generally I do, but not always. I ordered two compact florescent bulbs online, one of them didn't work when I screwed it in. The return shipping involved would have cost too much, so I took the base of the bulb apart and was able to hardwire it up to get it to work without returning it.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
I always return a defective product. If I'm ordering online, I usually go through Amazon. They have a return policy that is super! You request a return, the ups guy brings you a label. You stick it on the box, hand it to him/her and off it goes, back to Amazon. No charge for returning items. I love it.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:15 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Depends on the cost....over a few buck, I'm taking it back.

I just bought a new computer with Windows 8 installed............YIKES and WTF, I feel like taking it back!

Doped-out Hipsters who write operating systems...........yikes, that is Windows 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living