U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 03:51 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,197,148 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong I hate wasting money and I like getting what I paid for but I don't really like confrontation and don't like making scenes so sometimes even though I would like to bring something back or whatever I don't because I feel cheap.

For example if I buy fruit at grocery store and its moldy a day later I see some people bring it back. I don't blame them but I do look at them as if they are being cheap, they hold up the line. I'd like to do the same but don't because I feel cheap doing stuff like that.

I was just curious if anyone else wrestles with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 PM

4,665 posts, read 5,908,507 times
I think being frugal makes me smart not cheap. I would return fruit that molded the next day simply because the store needs to be aware of the defective product. Often it takes more time to return something, than it is worth, but as a former business owner I would have wanted to know, so I think they want to know also.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:31 PM

505 posts, read 547,388 times
Is it not costing more money and resource to go to supermarket again just for returning fruits?
Just feed it to my plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Don't get me wrong I hate wasting money and I like getting what I paid for but I don't really like confrontation and don't like making scenes so sometimes even though I would like to bring something back or whatever I don't because I feel cheap.

For example if I buy fruit at grocery store and its moldy a day later I see some people bring it back. I don't blame them but I do look at them as if they are being cheap, they hold up the line. I'd like to do the same but don't because I feel cheap doing stuff like that.

I was just curious if anyone else wrestles with this?

Old 10-04-2013, 06:57 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,870,051 times
Not wasting money is frugal. Frugality is smart spending only when necessary.

Bringing back day old fruit is CHEAP. People should pick their fruit better. Rearanging your day to take back a 69 cent piece of fruit is counter productive and isn't likely save any money. Cheapness usually requires effort and counter productivity at that. For instance driving 2 miles out of the way to save 2 cents a gallon off of 15 gallons of gas is cheap, not frugal. Net gain would be nothing.

My threshold for when I will take something back is $20, below that it's a waste of time unless it is an exchange for something I NEED. We bought a crappy potato slicer for $9 dollars from Grocery outlet one time. I took one look at it, told my wife that's cheap and will break after a few uses. It didn't even get through one potato before blades broke at the **** poor welded seams. I managed to make it self destruct just by putting down the pressure required to push the potato through, it folded. There was no point in driving 7 miles and haggling with grocery outlet only to get an exchange or store credit. I told my wife: "lesson learned."

Old 10-05-2013, 07:33 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,197,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Not wasting money is frugal. Frugality is smart spending only when necessary.

Bringing back day old fruit is CHEAP. People should pick their fruit better. Rearanging your day to take back a 69 cent piece of fruit is counter productive and isn't likely save any money. Cheapness usually requires effort and counter productivity at that. For instance driving 2 miles out of the way to save 2 cents a gallon off of 15 gallons of gas is cheap, not frugal. Net gain would be nothing.

My threshold for when I will take something back is $20, below that it's a waste of time unless it is an exchange for something I NEED. We bought a crappy potato slicer for $9 dollars from Grocery outlet one time. I took one look at it, told my wife that's cheap and will break after a few uses. It didn't even get through one potato before blades broke at the **** poor welded seams. I managed to make it self destruct just by putting down the pressure required to push the potato through, it folded. There was no point in driving 7 miles and haggling with grocery outlet only to get an exchange or store credit. I told my wife: "lesson learned."
You bring up some good points. Part of it is just that I'm very busy and as much as I hate wasting money my time is more valuable than bringing back a tub of strawberries not only in gas money but in the value of my time I have more important things to do.

Also, as to the toher point, I wonder about that too. If fruit goes moldy a day or two later yeah grocery store is kinda at fault but i probably shoulda picked my fruit better like you said. Also, if you buy cheap crap and not quality dont be surprised when it breaks shortly after as its essentially meant to be a throwaway product.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,284,941 times
I return stuff alll the time - however, I keep the receipt in my wallet. I either put a post-it note on the receipt or write a little note on it in red pen to myself asto the very last day an item can be returned. Item goes in a "errand basket" ( a small laundry basket) I keep in my trunk. I rarely make a special trip to return something but wait til I return to that store or am at least already going that way...

Fruit I generally dont return - I think of produce as "buyer beware" . I did return a bag of potaoes which were green the same day I bought them because I had no real way of knowing when I bought them..

Old 10-05-2013, 12:39 PM

788 posts, read 787,832 times
I had a coworker that tried to make me feel cheap about my frugality.

He was giving me a bunch of crap because my house is paid off, but I don't have cable tv. He was saying, "I just don't see how a guy that has his house paid off can't afford cable tv!".

I tried to explain it to him: "Affording it is not the problem; I don't have cable tv because I can't bring myself to spend so much money on something that I feel has such little value. In other words, my house is paid off because I don't spend my money on stupid stuff like cable tv!".

He didn't get it though. He just repeated the fact that he couldnt believe that someone who has their house paid off "can't afford" cable tv.

Some people are buried in debt and broke due to their own stupidity. And I could care less if that idiot thinks I'm "cheap"!

Old 10-05-2013, 01:14 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,765,271 times
I don't feel cheap. I feel clever for being frugal.

But part of being frugal is to not buy fruit that will be rotten tomorrow. You get to look at produce before you buy it. Don't buy bad produce.

I have returned milk that was off. I assume someone set it on a shelf and it got warm before it was found and returned to the cooler. I would not have returned it if I had left it in the car in the heat and ruined it after I bought it.

If I don't like what I bought, that is my fault and I suck it up. However, I returned an entire case of canned green chilies when I opened the first can and it had an extremely pronounced tin can flavor. Bad enough to ruin anything I cooked with it.

Most stores are very gracious about returns. If it is genuinely the fault of the product and not your fault, then don't feel bad about returning it.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:20 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
There's a difference between frugal and cheap.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:45 PM

12,425 posts, read 14,559,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k81689 View Post
Is it not costing more money and resource to go to supermarket again just for returning fruits?
Just feed it to my plants.
not if you're going by there anyways. It's good when people return rotten fruit. The super market needs to be more vigilant, and not sell fruit that's rotten inside (but looked good from the outside)...I'm not paying for compost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living