Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 03:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times

Advertisements

Up here in Canada we dont have Black Friday so i;m not seeing what all the fuss is about,
What are some examples of deals that would motivate people to camp out for days then get into fights and deal with a staggering human crush of people? If they were giving the stuff away for free i dont think i'd subject myself to that kind of violence,hassle and abuse just to get a sale price on some electronic gizmo..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 09:46 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,104 times
jambo, yet another reason for me to think of retiring to the north!

Old 11-30-2013, 05:03 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Was your Walmart was open during the daytime on Thanksgiving?

Or did you just start at noon to help prepare the store for an evening opening?
We were open all day. We only close once a year on Christmas Eve at 8 PM and have Christmas off. This year my schedule lets me have both Christmas Eve and Christmas off. Also New Years Eve and Day.

I didn't have to help get ready for the evening sales. That was all done when I got there, except for last minute stuff, and I just cashiered as always.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:06 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
We were open all day. We only close once a year on Christmas Eve at 8 PM and have Christmas off. This year my schedule lets me have both Christmas Eve and Christmas off. Also New Years Eve and Day.

I didn't have to help get ready for the evening sales. That was all done when I got there, except for last minute stuff, and I just cashiered as always.
I never realized Walmart was open on Thanksgiving during the daytime. Just read this article about it:

Walmart To Put 1 Million-Plus People To Work On Thanksgiving

Quote:
Like other retailers, Walmart is offering its associates who work Thanksgiving special compensation. They’ll get extra pay that the company says is equal to an additional day’s work, a 25 percent discount on purchases they make during a designated period in early December and a Thanksgiving dinner at Walmart.
How did they handle the 6pm start of Black Friday with people already in the store?

Did they close the store at 5pm or something like that, and then re-open it at 6pm?

Just wondering how they determined who gets to be the first to buy the best sale items?

Old 11-30-2013, 07:48 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
I combed through the Black Friday ads and couldn't find anything I needed to give anyone. I bought myself a tablet online, but I have been shopping for one for several months. It was a decent deal, I think, but not worth squealing about.

I just don't understand what it is that anyone needs to purchase? My kids already have computers and phones and Netflix.

I'll get them some clothes, and buy some housewares of a decorative nature for my sibs, and a jigsaw puzzle for my dad and mom.

I'm so thankful that my family has life of abundance.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:55 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
I've never in my life done the Black Friday thing.

This year I did take advantage of some killer online deals from retailers I buy from regularly. Because I am all over half-price and free shipping.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:43 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I never realized Walmart was open on Thanksgiving during the daytime. Just read this article about it:

Walmart To Put 1 Million-Plus People To Work On Thanksgiving

How did they handle the 6pm start of Black Friday with people already in the store?

Did they close the store at 5pm or something like that, and then re-open it at 6pm?

Just wondering how they determined who gets to be the first to buy the best sale items?
Yeah, I know there were a LOT of us working that day. The company made it worth it to us and I've yet to hear a complaint.

They don't close the store at all. The vast majority of the work is done by the overnight people.
Much of it is on pallets, covered in plastic and taped in all the aisles. It's amazing how much those people can get done and how fast. They are, of course, still working at it all day long but it's not anything disruptive. And business was pretty slow so it wasn't that hard.

There weren't that many people in the store until 4 PM, which is when they started coming in and getting in line. They are given tickets...how this works I really can't say because I've never participated. When I went to lunch that day, about 4:30, the line already stretched from electronics to grocery.

I was pleased with how orderly and organized it all was. I don't know what it might be like in a store in a big city with more people and don't think I WANT to know! lol

Old 12-01-2013, 08:58 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Yeah, I know there were a LOT of us working that day. The company made it worth it to us and I've yet to hear a complaint.

They don't close the store at all. The vast majority of the work is done by the overnight people.
Much of it is on pallets, covered in plastic and taped in all the aisles. It's amazing how much those people can get done and how fast. They are, of course, still working at it all day long but it's not anything disruptive. And business was pretty slow so it wasn't that hard.

There weren't that many people in the store until 4 PM, which is when they started coming in and getting in line. They are given tickets...how this works I really can't say because I've never participated. When I went to lunch that day, about 4:30, the line already stretched from electronics to grocery.

I was pleased with how orderly and organized it all was. I don't know what it might be like in a store in a big city with more people and don't think I WANT to know! lol
Thanks ... that explains it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living