Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 05:39 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times

Advertisements

In the interest of frugal living, and saving $565 for something I might need more in the future, I'm considering returning the desktop computer I just purchased last week. The thing is, my company is transitioning me to telecommuting full time. So I will be bringing home the office computer.

Now I won't be able to go to a few of my favorite sites because my company does have restrictions, of course. However, I do have a smart phone, so I would just have to contend with seeing Facebook on a smaller screen.

But other than that, maybe I don't really need a home pc if I have the work computer. I'm just wondering if there are factors I am not considering that I might be missing in this thought process.

So, any ideas on what you think I should do? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 05:42 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Big brother might could be watching you on the work PC. Myself I would have both and keep them apart especially after a few drinks.

Hmmmmm....what favorite sites will you be restricted from........LOL

Old 12-09-2013, 05:47 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
I'd take it back....I ditched desktops 3 years ago and have never once missed it. You've got the smartphone for your recreational use.

Or...Why not buy yourself a low priced laptop as a compromise?

Old 12-09-2013, 05:54 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Big brother might could be watching you on the work PC. Myself I would have both and keep them apart especially after a few drinks.

Hmmmmm....what favorite sites will you be restricted from........LOL
How funny you said big brother and then mentioned me drinking. What has he been telling you! Yeah I don't think I'd go online on the work computer while drinking, that would be scary. And another thing, as far as usage, I know I can live mostly without the desktop, as when my ex was here for the last 14 months, he was the one that mainly used it.

As far as the laptop, that did cross my mind, but I can't imagine I could find a decent laptop under $500?

After my little jog right now to the laundry room at my new place in 45 degree weather, I'm thinking this computer money would be much better invested in a washer/dryer for my apartment unit. Not to mention it's $3 a load! Blech!

Old 12-09-2013, 06:06 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
How funny you said big brother and then mentioned me drinking. What has he been telling you! Yeah I don't think I'd go online on the work computer while drinking, that would be scary. And another thing, as far as usage, I know I can live mostly without the desktop, as when my ex was here for the last 14 months, he was the one that mainly used it.

As far as the laptop, that did cross my mind, but I can't imagine I could find a decent laptop under $500?

After my little jog right now to the laundry room at my new place in 45 degree weather, I'm thinking this computer money would be much better invested in a washer/dryer for my apartment unit. Not to mention it's $3 a load! Blech!
There are many decent laptops even under $300.00. Not for a heavy, real time graphics/game player but most will fit the average business (MS Office type stuff, chats (like we are on here), online shopping, etc.) user.

A basic new W and D quite sufficient for light to medium usage can be had for less then $800.00 for both. Delivered and installed by most any big box store.

Frugal is not the same as cheap.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:44 PM

738 posts, read 999,736 times
A lot depends on what you are going to use it for. In my instance, I do just about everything on the net so I'd actually rather give up my basic cable than my internet (even though I live in a rural community and have no roof-top antenna).

But...you do have to pick your battles and having the convenience of laundry facilities IN your apt. may just be your #1 priority right now. And remember, there are always alternatives to buying 'new' which would mean less money spent.

RVcook

Old 12-10-2013, 05:54 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
A computer does not need to cost $565 really, although that's not exactly a ton of money for a computer either.

If all you are doing is looking at facebook or surfing the web, then the cheapest new computer you can find will do it just fine.

My computers are 8-10 years old and perform just fine. I do all of my banking on the computer and not having one would be a pain. A Dell T60 costs like $200 on ebay. here's one for $120!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-ThinkPad...item233362611d

(Not related to seller at all, just first decent one I found).

Old 12-10-2013, 06:10 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
I have been working remotely with a cheap not inexpensive Toshiba for three years after the custom build Dell crashed:>) Using equipment provided by an employer for work purposes puts you under supervision and scrutiny. The temptation to "just check something" is there. Will you be able to resist it and use your IPhone?

45F - LOL - try 16F and howling winds:>)

Old 12-10-2013, 07:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post

Sure. That was the route I took, when I had a work computer, but needed something for personal use. I got a household brand name laptop that's held up very well for the past couple of years for just shy of $300 at an electronics store sale. It's not going to do anything crazy, graphics-wise, and I don't game, so it suits me well. Online access and ability to run Microsoft Office Professional were my only criteria for a personal laptop.

Quote:
It's possible that you could get a washer/dryer fairly inexpensively, depending on what resources you have in the vicinity. We recently moved into really decent, newly constructed military housing, and it came with all appliances except washer/dryer (had the hookups, though). After one outing to the laundomat, we found ourselves at our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, which sells a lot of donated furnishings, materials, and appliances. We got a nearly new washer for $125 and a dryer (a few years old, but working fine) for $75.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:41 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I'm still using the desktop computer that I've built in 2006.. it's definitely showing its age but it still works fine for everyday tasks (like posting this message.) I'll save the latest bells and whistles for my mobile devices.

Any of your friends have old desktops they want to get rid of? Your workplace ditching some old computers? Maybe you can ask if they'll donate one to you.. chances are, the ones they're donating are newer than 2006.

Most modern flat screen TVs can be connected to laptops, tablets, and smartphones so having a large display is no longer a sufficient excuse to shell out for a desktop PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living