Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:44 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times

Advertisements

The thing is that more and more firms that understand the real value of their BRAND are simply not willing to do anything to promote anything other than their BRAND even if that means having some excess capacity.

The fact is you can find probably half a dozen BRAND name canned tomato products -- Hunts, Del Monte, Red Gold, Progresso, Muir Glen, Contadina, San Marzano, Dei Fratelli ... The BRANDS that most consistently command a PREMIUM almost certainly are NOT doing any "contract" work for private label firms. Now that does not mean that the house brand products are ALWAYS inferior, my point is that the BRAND name firms understand that IF the can keep the repeat customers coming back and consistently pay an extra couple of cents per can that is a better business that running their plants at full tilt to crank out stuff that has a narrow window of opportunity. Things are almost certainly different for things that do have a very LIMITED season -- I imagine that since there is pretty narrow season for some canned goods (think of stuff like cranberries or pumpkin...) maybe the brand name firms have to do contract label stuff to keep the plant running...

When it comes to certain items (think creme filled sandwich cookies from Oreo vs Hydrox vs Newman's Own vs ... ) the specific recipe is VERRRY much key to the product's unique appeal and degree to which the BRAND leading firms invest in ensuring the consistency never varies is big reason why they can command a premium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 04:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
When it comes to certain items (think creme filled sandwich cookies from Oreo vs Hydrox vs Newman's Own vs ... ) the specific recipe is VERRRY much key to the product's unique appeal and degree to which the BRAND leading firms invest in ensuring the consistency never varies is big reason why they can command a premium.
"oreos" is one of the items i buy at aldi. ive never done a side by side comparison, but to me it seems as good as the real deal.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The thing is that more and more firms that understand the real value of their BRAND are simply not willing to do anything to promote anything other than their BRAND even if that means having some excess capacity.

The fact is you can find probably half a dozen BRAND name canned tomato products -- Hunts, Del Monte, Red Gold, Progresso, Muir Glen, Contadina, San Marzano, Dei Fratelli ... The BRANDS that most consistently command a PREMIUM almost certainly are NOT doing any "contract" work for private label firms.
Interesting that you should list those particular brands. Actually, the aforementioned company that I worked for, which does TONS of private label contract work, is in fact one of the companies you listed above. They have been the main employer in my hometown since the 1950s. My grandfather was a foreman from when they opened there, through his death in the mid 1980s, and they have done private label contracting since at least the 70s/early 80s. I can't speak to the other companies you listed, but that one most assuredly does canning for private labels, quite a bit, in fact. It wouldn't surprise me if many of the others do, as well.

It doesn't really dilute the brand to put out products for other labels, as the average consumer doesn't even know that, say "Green Giant" (not the company in question) is among the canneries that puts out "Best Choice (not one of the private labels in question) produce.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:57 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
There are things I always buy at Aldi. THeir romaine head 3-pack, red/yellow/orange peppers, asparagus (fresh), organic bananas, fresh lemons, etc are a must. I also buy their chicken broth, fit and healthy low fat yogurt (39 cents each with flavors like cherry, apple turnover, coconut cream pie), chocolate bars, nuts for baking (a bargain!), so many more. I dont buy their meat, most of their bakery products, cleaning products, etc. Aldi is fine for certain things, our store is new and immaculate, their staff is friendly and FAST. It's not for everyone, but it sure does save me a bit.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
"oreos" is one of the items i buy at aldi. ive never done a side by side comparison, but to me it seems as good as the real deal.
I don't eat a lot of non-homemade cookies myself, but I've spent a long time buying kid treats and tasting them here and there, and for my money, the Trader Joe's sandwich cookie, "Joe Joes," are better-tasting than Oreos.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:23 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,287 times
I prefer some of Aldi products over what we buy at Kroger. Taste is subjective, but I have been impressed with most purchases at Aldi. I even like there bananas. There is no doubt there are savings when buying at Aldi. I just wish they had more check out lanes. The lines can get pretty long.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:04 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
You really have to do some trial and error with store brands. They have improved DRAMATICALLY in the past 30 years or so. These are not your Momma's generic chips in the plain white bag. I have found some things at Aldi's to be fine and others not so good. It cost me very little to buy the store brand to try it. I'm sure over the years I have saved more than enough to justify the waste of the items we didn't want to finish eating.

I have also sampled the Walmart brand of every kind of food I buy over the last 20 years. Yes, there are a couple of their items I don't really like. Spaghetti sauce comes to mind. I prefer Prego. But I will buy the store brand canned products and make my own sauce. And their cola tastes more like pepsi than coke. Sometimes I have done side by side taste tests and found no difference. Some things may not be quite as good as the famous brand but aren't different enough to make up the difference in cost. Some things I just decide not to buy (individually wrapped items such as granola bars, for example, don't seem to be a very good value regardless of the brand)

I would say that 90 of the non produce foods in my home are Walmart store brands, and I don't feel the slightest bit deprived.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't eat a lot of non-homemade cookies myself, but I've spent a long time buying kid treats and tasting them here and there, and for my money, the Trader Joe's sandwich cookie, "Joe Joes," are better-tasting than Oreos.
A good number of the cookies at TJ and Aldi are produced by Dare in Canada, especially the maple cookies. Also, some of the best cookies at BOTH stores are the German cookies that are brought in seasonally.

There have been very few products at Aldi that have disappointed.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:13 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
"Are Aldi Discount Food Products Or Any Discount Products The Same As Real Brands?"

Aldi's products are not the same as national brands.
In some cases they might be. But the more direct answer is that they are a real brand, so yes.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:14 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
A good number of the cookies at TJ and Aldi are produced by Dare in Canada, especially the maple cookies. Also, some of the best cookies at BOTH stores are the German cookies that are brought in seasonally.

There have been very few products at Aldi that have disappointed.
100% agree. Most people know one can't really do their entire grocery shopping at ALDI. But I shop there weekly and the savings are TREMENDOUS! And not only that, I find many of their private brands not only cheaper but far superior to anything I can buy elsewhere. Many of these are imported, such as certain pizzas they feature now and then from Italy ($3.69!) with fresh mozzarella and premium ingredients. They also now feature a small selection of organic items. And they offer some great cheeses. Here is a list of what I consider good/not so good:

GOOD:

Specialty items, such as imported cookies from Europe, European frozen pizzas, cheeses, etc.
Produce (at my store, anyway, excellent and fresh, super-cheap, best apples anywhere
nuts, chips
chocolate
wine (EXCELLENT VALUE) especially those from Italy
toiletries
hummus, salsa, guacamole
fair trade coffee
butter, yogurt
frozen berries
bacon (cheapest anywhere, and excellent)
Pasta sauce and pasta
tuna pouches
shredded wheat cereal (organic)
specialty olive oil

NOT GOOD:

Bottled water
pet food
canned goods
Mama cozzi pizza (unless specialty frozen from Italy)
frozen seafood
most meats (except bacon)
most frozen/prepared foods

The first list are the things I buy regularly from ALDI, I avoid items from the second list except maybe some occasional seafood items (usually things brought in as a special) ALDI saves me a ton of money compared to any other store, and the quality of the things that I DO like there I find superior as well. I think a lot of people would be surprised if they have never shopped there. It's good to go with an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living