U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 01:18 PM

13,604 posts, read 15,321,828 times

Advertisements

The most I've ever been was a few days at a time in between arrangements when I didn't really have the funds for a hotel or hostel. That was more than enough of an experience to know I never wanted to be homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 02:37 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,809,990 times
I have done it too, and learned really, how much work it is. I had a storage unit, that had most of my stuff, and my car. I stayed with "friends" off and on, had a gym membership, ate at Subway. It worked for me, mainly because I travelled so much for my job, I was in hotels quite a bit at that point in my life.

I did it for a few months, and it drove me crazy. I worked a lot though. Really never ate much.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:23 PM

8,093 posts, read 12,873,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
Hello. As promised I wanted to give everybody an update on my decision last fall to try and live without a dwelling. I don't know where the original thread went, .
Extreme Frugality: I hate owning "things"

Old 01-12-2014, 05:04 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,019,659 times
Garethe,

You have so much insight into the experience. Have you ever thought of writing a book about it? It might help people understand what less fortunate people go through.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:37 PM

610 posts, read 1,150,077 times
Very interesting story. I was actually in Seattle a few months ago. I can't imagine being homeless anywhere, I'm just not cut out for it. You are lucky that you had family to turn to, there are others that aren't so fortunate.

I am trying to live a "minimalist" lifestyle in an effort to save money, but I definitely consider a home to be a complete necessity.

Random question, but do people actually live in storage units in desperate situations? Is it possible?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:44 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,549,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Very interesting story. I was actually in Seattle a few months ago. I can't imagine being homeless anywhere, I'm just not cut out for it. You are lucky that you had family to turn to, there are others that aren't so fortunate.

I am trying to live a "minimalist" lifestyle in an effort to save money, but I definitely consider a home to be a complete necessity.

Random question, but do people actually live in storage units in desperate situations? Is it possible?
I'm in Ill. just 100 miles west of you, and while people have been *caught* trying to live in those, in this area you would be locked in and left, unless you had some way to make a unit appear locked while not being so. If you don't mind, WHY did you leave Seattle and come back to Ill.?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:01 PM

610 posts, read 1,150,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I'm in Ill. just 100 miles west of you, and while people have been *caught* trying to live in those, in this area you would be locked in and left, unless you had some way to make a unit appear locked while not being so. If you don't mind, WHY did you leave Seattle and come back to Ill.?
I left Seattle because I was there on vacation. I came back to IL because I live and work in IL.

Seattle is a great little city though, I would love to live there for a few months just to be able to thoroughly explore it, but I don't think I would want to live there long term.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:13 PM

559 posts, read 692,776 times
Thanks for the responses. For the couple of you that pointed it out, no I will not literally be getting my first check and rushing out to the store to buy a tablet. TBH I will have my hands full tackling Seattle's rental market and need every last cent. And of course I will be paying back everybody that helped me out. I am eternally grateful to these people and they will get every last dollar back and then some.

I am aware of the hobo for the weekend millionaires that are out there, a few have been documented on shows like Taboo. A well-funded checking account would make anything possible and that was the real hitch in my plan. Some medical problems presented problems as well, although I chose not to talk about them. And no, I am not a survivalist, and I'm not at all saying that living off the land or grid somewhere cannot be done. I'm still a big believer in those endeavors for certain types of people.

Now could I have removed myself from this predicament without "Mom". Heck yeah. But it probably would have taken a little longer, fortunately Seattle has some very good programs designed to help people transition off the streets.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:52 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,549,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
I left Seattle because I was there on vacation. I came back to IL because I live and work in IL.

Seattle is a great little city though, I would love to live there for a few months just to be able to thoroughly explore it, but I don't think I would want to live there long term.
Gotcha, well I'm so sick of snow and sub freezing crap every year, it's time to go west!

Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,809,990 times
I had a friend who lives in a very expensive area, she literally, lived in her office for months! She put her stuff in a storage unit, she put a pillow, blanket, and mat in a Tupperware bin next to her desk, she left work at 5 p.m., went to the gym, showered, got dinner, went back to the office, cruised the internet, went to bed. Woke up at 5 am, got ready in the bathroom at work, put away her bedding, went and got breakfast, arrived at work! Now, she had her own office, and worked in a large metro hospital. She did this for about six months to save up cash for a down payment. No one knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or