Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:57 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
There is no avoiding chemical substances.
This ^^^^right here nope there is no escaping chemicals they are every where and sometimes they are in the air we breathe so just live with it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 08:07 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
But why wrap you body in chemicals if you can avoid it?

You know, I used to say things like that all the time. About food too. Now I have an autoimmune disease. And I wonder......

Old 01-27-2014, 08:18 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Since there are chemicals everywhere I try to avoid the ones I can and I love making laundry detergent anyway. I've gotten into just keeping the raw ingredients in the laundry room and that way I can vary the type.

So if something does get greasy and needs hot water and Fels Naptha, I will grate a lot of it right into the washer. Most of my clothing doesn't really get dirty though, it just needs freshening. So most of the time I use a tiny bit of Woolite and the borax which REALLY whitens and brightens along with sanitizing, along with some washing soda. I save the Fels Naptha soap for my husband's working on the car clothes mostly or towels and sheets.

Today I washed a couple of things and didn't bother with the borax and what a difference! They came out so dingy. Borax is wonderful.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:49 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
But why wrap you body in chemicals if you can avoid it?

You know, I used to say things like that all the time. About food too. Now I have an autoimmune disease. And I wonder......
A little over a year ago, I was also diagnosed with autoimmune disease, an extremely rare one that will eventually blind me, and I also wonder. I have rid our home of as many household chemicals as possible. No more noxious bathroom cleaners, detergents, adhesives, bleach, ammonia, etc. And no more Tide. I use laundry soap.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:58 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
A little over a year ago, I was also diagnosed with autoimmune disease, an extremely rare one that will eventually blind me, and I also wonder. I have rid our home of as many household chemicals as possible. No more noxious bathroom cleaners, detergents, adhesives, bleach, ammonia, etc. And no more Tide. I use laundry soap.
I'm so sorry to hear that! Did you go natural on soap, shampoos and body lotions too? Really easy to do and much cheaper than commercial stuff - and better for you!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:59 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that! Did you go natural on soap, shampoos and body lotions too? Really easy to do and much cheaper than commercial stuff - and better for you!
Thanks. Yes, I have. It's probably too late to affect my prognosis, but it *might* stave off the disease in my children if they are also vulnerable. It's impossible to know what triggered the on-set, and these changes may very well end up being in vain -- at least where the disease is concerned -- but I don't believe they can hurt matters.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-28-2014 at 01:14 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 09:58 AM

398 posts, read 698,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Thanks. Yes, I have. It's probably too late to affect my prognosis, but it *might* stave off the disease in my children if they are also vulnerable. It's impossible to know what triggered the on-set, and these changes may very well end up being in vain -- at least where the disease is concerned -- but I don't believe they can hurt matters.
Also sorry to hear that (jumping in here). So many people out there and luckily online are discovering new ways to cure their diseases, I for one am optimistic about the ways we can go "natural" or no-chemical to improve our lives and our health. Things we once thought were irreversible (tooth cavities, the latest I've seen) may not be. So I applaud you for taking on your new lifestyle and outlook, is basically what I wanted to say! I have also gone natural before, changed my diet forever, etc. and am much healthier for it, have recovered from disease, you name it. Laundry soap is just one piece of the puzzle, and once one changes their lifestyle, one's heart is always in the right place. ::getting down off the "soap"-box now::

Old 02-01-2014, 07:06 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Default One of the great things about City-Data

Reading this thread has reminded me that one of the great things about City-Data is its window on the world - a slice of life from all obscure corners. I am 69 and this is the first I've ever heard of people mixing their own laundry soap. It had never occurred to me that anyone would do such a thing.

I have not been convinced from the discussion that it's something worth doing, but that's beside my point. People are endlessly fascinating.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:58 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I make laundry soap at home. I just went in and loaded up on ingredients (stockpiling)

Two of the ingredients have doubled in price and the Fels Naptha was 99 cents and it is now $1.79. Not yet double, but getting close.

So $40 out the door. I bought enough stuff to make 18 gallons of laundry soap, with a bunch of the washing soda and borax left for next time. The laundry soap was costing me $1 a gallon to make and now it is somewhere around $2 a gallon to make.

It's still frugal, with the quality commercial laundry soap costing $20 a gallon or more. But, yikes, it is a shock to the system to see prices go up so much in a year's time. It's a good thing that there is no inflation (according to our government) or we'd all be hurting.
This is why i stocked up on All when I could get it for 50 cents a bottle after coupons and purex for free after coupons...got the free and clear scents

Old 02-02-2014, 11:44 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
........I bought enough stuff to make 18 gallons of laundry soap, ..........
Oops, my math error. Enough stuff to make 18 batches, but each batch is 2 gallons. So enough stuff to make 36 gallons of laundry soap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living