Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Had I had my way, I would sleep on the mattress without the frame. What do I need bed frame for?

I still refuse to buy a proper desk. I use a cheap and small kitchen table that is over 15 years old for my computers etc. It's perfect in size and height.

I haven't bought a new computer for 4 years, going on 5. I am an IT guy and I have 5 used ones in my lab with a total cost of ... $500 if that.

What's up with the baby shower, bridal shower, coworkers selling cookies at work. First of all, if you plan to get married or have baby, you need to make sure you have the means to support your marriage, especially the baby. Secondly, if your daughter or son is asked to sell cookies, let them do it.

Am I being too cheap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 AM

71 posts, read 255,197 times
No.

Your coworkers sell cookies to save up for their marriage and babies? That's weird. Haven't heard of that one yet.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrokegal View Post
No.

Your coworkers sell cookies to save up for their marriage and babies? That's weird. Haven't heard of that one yet.
They sell cookies for their kids' school project or something like Frontier Girl Scout stuff.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Had I had my way, I would sleep on the mattress without the frame. What do I need bed frame for?

I still refuse to buy a proper desk. I use a cheap and small kitchen table that is over 15 years old for my computers etc. It's perfect in size and height.

I haven't bought a new computer for 4 years, going on 5. I am an IT guy and I have 5 used ones in my lab with a total cost of ... $500 if that.

What's up with the baby shower, bridal shower, coworkers selling cookies at work. First of all, if you plan to get married or have baby, you need to make sure you have the means to support your marriage, especially the baby. Secondly, if your daughter or son is asked to sell cookies, let them do it.

Am I being too cheap?
Some work places don't allow you to pimp your kid's stuff at work and that's fine with me. I don't like being asked to buy stuff at work especially from people I don't know very well.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Oh, one day you will need that bed frame!
No way my arthritic knees would tolerate sleeping on the floor....

Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Oh, one day you will need that bed frame!
No way my arthritic knees would tolerate sleeping on the floor....
Not if you stack one mattress over an old one.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Not if you stack one mattress over an old one.
Sorry, but that is still too low.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:10 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Some work places don't allow you to pimp your kid's stuff at work and that's fine with me. I don't like being asked to buy stuff at work especially from people I don't know very well.
Yea I find it distasteful. My wife's boss has "optional jeans friday". If you want to wear jeans you have to donate $5 every Friday to some charity.... that her boss is involved in. This is not a company policy, just a 'policy' in her group. Also, not a small firm, but a large accounting company. I told my wife that to me, that sounded unethical at best, perhaps illegal at worst, and potentially grounds for her boss to get fired. She's not willing to raise a stink. If it were me, I'd refuse the $5.

Last edited by chicagotodc; 05-08-2012 at 12:20 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 02:02 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Yea I find it distasteful. My wife's boss has "optional jeans friday". If you want to wear jeans you have to donate $5 every Friday to some charity.... that her boss is involved in. This is not a company policy, just a 'policy' in her group. Also, not a small firm, but a large accounting company. I told my wife that to me, that sounded unethical at best, perhaps illegal at worst, and potentially grounds for her boss to get fired. She's not willing to raise a stink. If it were me, I'd refuse the $5.
Approximately 52 fridays in a year so $5 X 52 = $260 to wear jeans one day a week for the year! That is INSANE! Sorry, but I would rather support a charity of my choice and stick to wearing dress pants. I agree with you on the unethical part, which IMO is using her power to her advantage. Is her Charity "The Human Fund"? Im afraid she may be pocketing the money.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sorry, but that is still too low.
You need to meet me in the middle somewhere. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living