Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:56 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Now -- here's an interesting thing. Turns out my ring went way up in price because fancies (not round diamonds) have SKYROCKETED. His orginal quote was 3500-4000.

My jeweler told me he could make it with these new upgraded Moissanites -- called Amora Gems. These range in color from E-F. One place has said they've managed a few D's. They are lab created silicon/carbon stones -- and are as hard as diamond, but much cheaper.

Everything I've read about them seems positive, but confusing. Moissy is generally tinged yellow, so in the color scale it's I-J-K color -- which I truly don't like. There is an enhancement also called Amora -- Amora Enhanced, which is a coating applied to the stone to bring it up to H. Still too cracked ice looking for me.

He says he can get Amora Gems -- which might work. I'm letting him know I'd love to see them. No guarantee.
He got them in -- and they are beautiful. They are maybe a little more sparkly and refractive than diamonds, but since the ring I'm having made is several small pear stones arranged in a 1/2/1/2/1 pattern, I think the extra sparkly will be fine.

SO -- to my eyes, Amora Gems are different than diamonds, but they are not secondary or a cheap looking replacement. Most people wouldn't think twice about them being diamonds.

I've been assured these are just as hardy as diamonds and can be worn all the time just like diamonds. The ring is being made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 10:56 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
how frugal is frugal... I think my wifes Diamond was 2k, i think this is too much but in the scheme of things it isn't all that much. I think you could buy the same thing , not from Tiffany for half the price. and maybe used for $500.

on the other hand, she never wears it, so what is the point. our $90 wedding bands we wear every day.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Many years ago DH bought my rings and presented my engagement ring to me with his proposal. (How he did this was old fashioned even for then.) Actually I've always wished for a different set, and really a nicer diamond. (Don't mention this to DH!) But, there are more important things in life than this. I would not want a fake diamond as an engagement or wedding ring. If I couldn't have a diamond, I'd prefer another real gemstone. I don't know how you get around the way gemstones are mined today. I wish I had an ethical answer to that.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:38 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I had no interest in an engagement ring and personally I don't like diamonds.
I didn't think I wanted an engagement ring, either - let alone a diamond one - until a sweet little quarter-carat, princess-cut diamond in a white gold setting was placed on my finger.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:24 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,724 times
We did it the old-fashioned way --- his mom had saved his great-aunt's diamond ring for the oldest son's fiancé. Since it was on a ring that was way too big, we had the fun of going around to the jewelry shops and looking at all the wedding sets. When we found a set we liked, we bought two wedding rings, and then had the inherited diamond set in the engagement ring. Many years later, I found out the great aunt and I shared the same birthday. Thirty + years later, our oldest daughter was given her maternal great-grandmother's diamond engagement ring. Her fiancé put it on her finger and it fit perfectly. They just bought wedding rings and they were all set.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:04 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,395 times
We have two heavy platinum bands that we bought on eBay 13 years ago. Platinum was MUCH cheaper back then and much more practical then spending a boat load on gems. I'm not much of a jewelry person anyhow.

The rings don't fit now so we are considering selling them and buying meteorite or titanium rings.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:24 PM

256 posts, read 342,821 times
My husband bought my engagement ring at a flea market in Tennessee! Its beautiful, and vintage, and meeting the 2nd person to ever own it adds interest to it. I'm the proud 3rd owner of my ring, a ring doesn't have to be new to be special. And knowing how special it was to its 2nd owner, makes it even more special imo. (Oh and it was cheap too!)

Old 03-20-2014, 02:33 PM

166 posts, read 240,969 times
Elope and get ring from kmart.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:36 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,525 times
My gf could care less whether I spend 3k or 12k on a ring for her. I, however, like very nice things, and I personally would prefer to spend more on a beautiful ring I will also love to look at for the next 50+ years (hopefully) I'm thinking I'll probably spend between 8k-12k

Old 03-22-2014, 02:08 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,160 times
Mine cost $40 xx years ago, from a discount store, plain gold. We could afford much better now, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living