U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 12:49 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,729,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I know what you mean. Sounds like you're on a decent track if you can afford to go 2 more years unemployed while not scrimping beyond reason.

I still prefer cheap paper towels because 9 times out of 10 the job doesn't really require anything too strong or absorbent. I don't mind using a few extra sheets of the cheapies when the job calls for it.
I bought 2 dozen microfiber cloths (midway between the size of a washcloth and a hand towel) super cheap. I got mine at TJ Maxx, but you can also find them in the auto supply section at Target. I keep them folded in a small bin under the sink and use them instead of paper towels.

Hardly ever have to buy paper towels anymore. About the only thing I use them for is cleaning up after the cat hacks up a hairball. I just can't bring myself to use a reusable cloth for that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 01:58 PM

8,880 posts, read 15,628,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I started buying kroger facial tissues instead of real Kleenexes, to save maybe 50 cents a box. Those things are rough and when I try to dry my ears with one, it disintegrates.
Wow, I've used some rough tissues, but never anything that would cause body parts to disintegrate. I'd definitely stop using them right away. And go to the emergency room.

Quote:
real Kleenex allows me to wrap one around my fingy and insert it into my ear.
Didn't your mom ever tell you that you're not supposed to stick anything in your ear except your elbow?

Quote:
I've been out of work and if I live like a dog, I will be broke in 3 years. But if I live like a normal person, I will be broke in 2 years. "Pinching pennies" is a pain and it's not worth the trouble. I often can't decide whether to pay $6 for a crappy lunch or $9 for a decent lunch.
This is also interesting. If you're not working why don't you fix your lunch most of the time instead of eating in restaurants? You could make up a batch of beans and rice that will make four meals at about 25 cents a meal. It's not very exciting, but it's filling and can be tasty with the right seasoning and it can really take the sting out of spending a little extra on a meal out a couple of times a week.

If you are eating at home, all I can say is that I can fix a pretty darn nice meal myself for under $6, so maybe it's time for a new cookbook

Quote:
Most people wouldn't notice, but there is quite a diff between real paper towels and cheaper ones. It's also true of crackers.
I agree with you on the towels, I buy good ones (on sale, of course) and don't use them unless I really need to. Dish towels work better anyway. A six-pack of Brawny lasts me a year or more.

I generally disagree regarding crackers, but I'm not a big snack food eater so the only crackers I generally keep on hand are saltines. It's very possible that there's a bigger difference between the fancier varieties. I did recently buy some off-brand wheat crackers that tasted just like Wheat Thins, though.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:42 PM

8,402 posts, read 19,532,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
From experience (I started in September) it's not nearly as gross as you think it is. I have probably 60 of them so I happily use them like klenex (basically once before grabbing another) except instead of the trash they go into the laundry. No big deal. Get a patterned sheet and you won't notice anything.
If you use them once and then toss them in the laundry you're not using them in the way that I find gross.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:12 PM

5,610 posts, read 6,480,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
This is also interesting. If you're not working why don't you fix your lunch most of the time instead of eating in restaurants? You could make up a batch of beans and rice that will make four meals at about 25 cents a meal. It's not very exciting, but it's filling and can be tasty with the right seasoning and it can really take the sting out of spending a little extra on a meal out a couple of times a week.

If you are eating at home, all I can say is that I can fix a pretty darn nice meal myself for under $6, so maybe it's time for a new cookbook
If OP has enough of a cushion to live 2 - 3 years unemployed I don't think it's wrong to eat out even before the next job is lined up. Sure it's not frugal; but I don't think it's wrong either. When you're unemployed you sometimes just need an excuse to get out or a way to feel like you aren't broke.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:01 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
OP, sometimes an item is too cheap and it becomes a bad uneconomical purchase. If a facial tissue won't hold together long enough to do its job, you have wasted your money.

One of my local stores puts Kleenex brand on sale fairly often and it is possible to save $1 a box at that time. Myself, I buy Kleenex brand in the larger boxes at Costco, in the 12 box pack. You have to run the figures and look at your available space for storage.

The $6-$9 for lunch is way over the top for someone who must watch the budget. If money is tight, OP, you are going to have to learn to cook.

There is not just "saving money". You also have to consider "value per dollar".

Old 02-07-2014, 04:04 PM

929 posts, read 1,823,735 times
Spending $6.00 for lunch is nuts. Brown bagger here that probably never spends over $2.00 a day, some days even less than that. I am sure I eat healthier than someone who eats out everyday.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:08 PM

5,281 posts, read 4,562,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
From experience (I started in September) it's not nearly as gross as you think it is. I have probably 60 of them so I happily use them like klenex (basically once before grabbing another) except instead of the trash they go into the laundry. No big deal. Get a patterned sheet and you won't notice anything.
My dad and brother still use handkerchiefs. They both have allergies so it is often more about drippiness than a lot of snot. They start each day with clean hankies---Dad carried Two hankies MAX and had a third in his desk drawer. If he had to break out the third hankie, it was time to go home because he had a cold and needed to be home resting.

When I was a kid my job was ironing the hankies. If I needed tissues every day of my life, I'd probably carry a hankie also, but I don't think I'd iron them!

Old 02-07-2014, 04:10 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Go to Walmart and buy yourself a set of 10 cloth diapers for about $12. Use them instead of paper towels. ..........
Or go to Costco and in the automotive section buy the package of 60 white terry towels. They cost under 25 cents each.

I use them for some of my cleaning jobs and then launder them, and if they ever do get too dirty, I just toss them.

I save up whites until I can wash a full load and I can wash all 60 towels plus my white socks in one load.

I do use paper towels and find that the Kirkland brand works well and they are cheaper than the good national brands. I do not like the economy brands of paper towels and so, I won't buy them. It's not really saving money if they don't work well enough to do their job.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:22 PM

9,818 posts, read 13,892,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I started buying kroger facial tissues instead of real Kleenexes, to save maybe 50 cents a box. Those things are rough and when I try to dry my ears with one, it disintegrates. A real Kleenex allows me to wrap one around my fingy and insert it into my ear.

I've been out of work and if I live like a dog, I will be broke in 3 years. But if I live like a normal person, I will be broke in 2 years. "Pinching pennies" is a pain and it's not worth the trouble. I often can't decide whether to pay $6 for a crappy lunch or $9 for a decent lunch. I tend to alternate between the two. Life is too short to scrimp all the time. So I scrimp half the time.

Most people wouldn't notice, but there is quite a diff between real paper towels and cheaper ones. It's also true of crackers.

That's because you should shop for week once a week, and cook for week once a week. Including your lunches, coffees, dinners, and such. Novel idea, aye, mate?

Old 02-07-2014, 11:12 PM

24,714 posts, read 26,785,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm wondering why you are going out to lunch when you are unemployed. Even $6.00 is way more than you need to be spending on lunch. Do your cooking at home and you will be surprised at how much you will save.
That's what I was thinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living