U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:14 PM

24,714 posts, read 26,785,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I like.
This could apply to almost every decision.
Sometimes real frugality isn't about trying to do 'X' in the absolutely cheapest way, it's coming to a rational decision that you shouldn't be doing 'X' if you have to do it that way.
Personally, I don't think paying $3 for a soda is worth it when I can get a 6 pack (of 12 oz) or 8 pack (of 8 oz) sodas for $3 at the store. Having to overpay actually takes away from my enjoyment.

Besides, water is a lot better for you anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Really all you need to do is go on your local Buy Nothing Project facebook group (if you have one in your area), freecycle, craig's list or any other community platform that allows you to ask for things and request a flannel sheet or pillow case. You can cut your own. I did this with a old top sheet that and I prefer it to any brand of tissue. I have plenty of money too, but I did this because it's wasteful to spend money on them, they are wasteful for the planet and resources and they're not as good as flannel.
I rarely buy paper towels and never buy tissues. I blow my nose with toilet paper. I use those reusable blue handi-wipes for spills, etc.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Here's a tip for those who think they need paper towels for draining bacon.
Or better yet, just skip the bacon. It's not good for you, anyway.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:16 AM

15,565 posts, read 8,734,436 times
No bacon? Perish the thought!

Relax. It's a once-a-month treat for my kids. Two slices each. I think they'll be fine.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:28 AM

4,676 posts, read 4,580,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
That's because you should shop for week once a week, and cook for week once a week. Including your lunches, coffees, dinners, and such. Novel idea, aye, mate?
Hmm... maybe I should try this.. Just make Monday a 7am-7pm cooking day????

Old 02-08-2014, 09:43 AM

22,670 posts, read 28,559,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm wondering why you are going out to lunch when you are unemployed. Even $6.00 is way more than you need to be spending on lunch.
that's a good question. what business does an unemployed person have in a restaurant? (other than looking for a job)

Old 02-08-2014, 12:14 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
If you have 2-3 years of savings, you've done better than most. I agree cheapest isn't always the best. It's all about value.

No lectures here. I am curious about the eating out. Is this your way of getting out of the house to do something different each day? I'm a sahm in a neighborhood of other sahm's and other people who work at home. Many of us share a common need to do something different each day besides staying locked up in the house all day. It's easy to get into spending money mode just to do something different than looking at the same four walls each day. If you haven't already, I would encourage you to find something you enjoy to get you excited and moving each day. Get out and take a daily walk or other form of excercise, volunteer, or just find an inexpensive hobby that makes money or do it just because you enjoy it. I think you will find it makes your days a little better.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:38 PM

6,717 posts, read 11,166,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that's a good question. what business does an unemployed person have in a restaurant? (other than looking for a job)
When I was unemployed, I cooked the vast majority of the time.. but I still ate out on occasion:

- When I was sick of the few things I could cook.
- For networking or interview events.. or when I needed to interview in another town and spent the whole day out.
- When they had some good deals like McDonalds $1.30 or something fish sandwiches on Fridays

Old 02-08-2014, 06:54 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Hmm... maybe I should try this.. Just make Monday a 7am-7pm cooking day????
Don't laugh. Sometimes we plan a full day of freezer cooking. I make the menus in advance and make sure I have all the ingredients on hand. I also get out all the freezer containers, labels and try to use as few pots and pans as possible.

For example I might brown up 2 - 5 lbs of ground round with onions and garlic and then divide it into portions for several different meals. Almost all my meals start with onions and garlic and celery even if with chicken or beef and sometimes pork. While I'm chopping, grating and sauteing I have something in the crock pot which can be divided into meals. Every crock pot dish is at least 2 meals. A 3-4 lb roast with a whole bunch of potatoes, celery, onions and garlic gives us 2 meals (for 4) of roast with side veggies and then we use the gravy and rest of veggies to make a soup ( which may or may not have some meat in it) but it does have lots of meat flavor.
To be honest, I don't even enjoy going out to eat much any more. I know what is in my homemade food and more importantly what is not in it, I eat smaller portions cause they serve such huge portions in restaurants and if our bill comes to $40-$50 dollars I cringe when I think of how that money can be stretch on groceries for homemade meals.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:28 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,628,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
If OP has enough of a cushion to live 2 - 3 years unemployed I don't think it's wrong to eat out even before the next job is lined up. Sure it's not frugal; but I don't think it's wrong either. When you're unemployed you sometimes just need an excuse to get out or a way to feel like you aren't broke.
I don't think it's wrong for the OP to eat out. In fact, I think I mentioned that in my post. But eating out EVERY DAY when you have no income coming in is beyond not being frugal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living