U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:33 AM

11,891 posts, read 14,355,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I only eat out at restaurants when I'm out of town, as I love to cook, and I always order just water. I've seen a number of restaurants which tempt you by the low prices advertised for a meal, and then they jack up the cost of beverages to make up for the cheap meal.

Besides, I have frequent urination problems, and if I have a beer or coke, I'm panicking a few blocks away, wondering if I'll find a bathroom in time!

Hopefully, the OP will discover the joys of cooking, and the savings from not eating out, he can use that disposable income for other pleasures.
I took a trip to Wildwood NJ a few years back. A lot of hotels but shockingly few restaurants. Then I realized most visitors actually cook their own food. Lots of kitchenettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 10:48 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,057,966 times
I just have to wonder if the OP is for real. Seriously, having saved up enough money to live two years, the OP would already know about being frugal and not overindulging. OP obviously isn't looking for tips to stretch his dollars which are just too obvious in the first place. OP is not an experienced shopper since if you shop around, off brands can be just as good. The tissues we buy are better than the Kleenex brand, cheaper and we usually get them on sale. Indulging in meals out when one is out of work, well, obviously not frugal. Post seems off. Our toilet paper might have been a little rough, it might have taken more than one bargain paper towel to clean up a mess, not eating out like so many makes us seem a little strange BUT being debt-free, more than worth it!!!

Old 01-17-2018, 03:58 PM

19,271 posts, read 20,147,764 times
My wife washes used Saran Wrap.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:34 PM
Status: "I can learn to admire w/o having to aquire." (set 4 days ago)

Location: Where the last of the "Big 3" has retired. Spurs country.
3,023 posts, read 3,609,058 times
I wash out food storage/freezer bags of all types and sizes, been doing so since I became single and in between homes (living in a temporary rental situation) in 2012. I haven't had to buy any baggies, of any size or type, since then, and my kitchen drawer is full of them.

Of course I toss any that become useless, but always keep any I get from taking food of any type from friend's or family's homes when eating there. This keeps my supply full.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:31 PM

5,470 posts, read 8,160,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
. "Pinching pennies" is a pain and it's not worth the trouble. .
So pinch them where its not a pain, and when its worth the cost... Spend it.

I buy crap paper towels, and good steak. (At a discount)

Old 01-17-2018, 11:43 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
I recycle used smiles; I generally toss frowns away.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:23 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I started buying kroger facial tissues instead of real Kleenexes, to save maybe 50 cents a box. Those things are rough and when I try to dry my ears with one, it disintegrates. A real Kleenex allows me to wrap one around my fingy and insert it into my ear.

I've been out of work and if I live like a dog, I will be broke in 3 years. But if I live like a normal person, I will be broke in 2 years. "Pinching pennies" is a pain and it's not worth the trouble. I often can't decide whether to pay $6 for a crappy lunch or $9 for a decent lunch. I tend to alternate between the two. Life is too short to scrimp all the time. So I scrimp half the time.

Most people wouldn't notice, but there is quite a diff between real paper towels and cheaper ones. It's also true of crackers.
You are right. If you need to cut expenses, the first thing to look at is whatever is the largest expense, and work your way down. Try to get the largest expense down, and then the next largest, etc.

Utility bills can be large, and there are ways to cut those to some extent.

Groceries & household items are fairly easy to cut.

Give yourself a budget and stick to it. Then occasionally treat yourself to something you really want that doesn't cost too much.

Every dollar counts. You'd be surprised how the small amounts add up over time.

You can buckle down and buy generic for a while. You'll live. But sometimes the brand names are cheaper because of a sale or you have a coupon (or both). You should be looking for sales and using coupons, when you grocery shop.

If the brand name is that important to you, buy it. Kleenex is usu on sale somewhere during the winter months. Buy those packs that have several boxes, if they're enough less per box to justify buying so many.

I have found that buying those paper towels where you can tear off half a sheet saves me from wasting them. And of course use a cloth towel when you can, to save on wasting paper towels.

You can have a decent lunch for $6. You can make it yourself. So I don't know what you mean by you can't get a good lunch for $6. There's a way to shop to keep cost down, but still have good stuff. You may have to substitute frozen or canned for fresh, buy on sale, use coupons.

What I do is buy large containers of staples that I can use over time make a number of things. It's an up front cost, but saves $$ in the long run. I belong to Sam's Club, which sells large packs of things.

If you need advice specific to frugal grocery shopping, you'll get lots of info in this forum, if you do a post about that.

I don't know what each of my meals costs. I try to buy groceries for the whole month. Those, added to the staples I have, feed me for the month. Good stuff that I like.

Let's see...what did I have today. Lunch was a huge salad with raw almonds, black olives, raw mini sweet peppers, low cal dressing. With some raisins afterwards (bought a big bag at Sam's Club over a mo. ago). No meat in it, to speak of, since it's near the end of the month and I used almost all the chicken I had already. Beverage left over from Christmas.

Dinner was homemade chicken/potato soup. I made my own green tea (I buy a big box of organic green tea bags at Sam's regularly - a staple).

What did each of those meals cost? I don't know. But pretty sure they were less than $6 each.

I hope you find a job soon. Are you keeping your savings in a bank where it's getting the latest higher interest rates? Every dollar counts. (Ally Bank online usually pays a great rate.) This is temporary for you. You can cut expenses to the bone for a while, to make your money last longer. It won't last forever. But I hope you find a job soon!

Old 01-26-2018, 10:32 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
So pinch them where its not a pain, and when its worth the cost... Spend it.

I buy crap paper towels, and good steak. (At a discount)
That's what I do. I buy the cheapest of things, when it doesn't matter THAT much to me. I actually think the store brand paper towels are usually pretty good. But I do buy the brand name of Kleenex for tissue paper (hopefully on sale and/or with a coupon).

Old 01-27-2018, 05:33 AM

11,891 posts, read 14,355,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm wondering why you are going out to lunch when you are unemployed. Even $6.00 is way more than you need to be spending on lunch. Do your cooking at home and you will be surprised at how much you will save.

I use about a roll of papertowels every 2 or 3 weeks and we are a family of 4. I have a stack of wash cloths at the kitchen sink where we wash our hands and use the wash cloths to dry. I use them for kitchen clean up as well. It doesn't cost a cent to throw them in the laundry with other loads and i save a few trees as well as dollars.
When you're out of work you are often going to interviews, job search sessions, counselors, etc. Not always conducive to bringing your lunch.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:16 AM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
1) This thread is four years old.

2) As was pointed out if the OP had enough money to live for TWO YEARS, s/he likely knew at least a little bit about how to save money. Which isn't the same as living frugally. But still, I can't imagine the OP would be totally ignorant of how to cut his or her budget if need be.

3) IF a person has TWO YEARS, worth of living expenses saved with no budget cuts, and THREE YEARS, with budget cuts, then I don't see an issue with eating out once in a while, while the person's job search continues.

4) I don't get what the OP's original intent was either. But sometimes you just need to share and get your thoughts out and expressed, and that's what City Data forums allow one to do.

5) For all the talk of "penny pinching"....to buy cheap paper towels -- which are NOT half the price of good brand names like Bounty or Brawny, etc -- and use 2-3 at a time......makes no sense. That is LESS FRUGAL than just buying a good paper towel, that you could use ONE of. I don't know why people don't get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living