Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:40 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Hmm... maybe I should try this.. Just make Monday a 7am-7pm cooking day????
I did this for a few years when I was starting out in my (first) career.

I spent about 4 hours Sunday night prepping the basics for the week's work lunches.

It was a big help in navigating my 20s when I was just starting out in the workforce and was making a modest salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 06:25 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I'll still order water if that's all I want; I just don't do it for the purpose of saving money.

If drinks are $2 at Texas Roadhouse then that's $12 less on the bill for the 6 of you, which translates to a couple of dollars in tip. Some servers might judge you on it; others might just think you made their job easy because "6 waters" is a heck of a lot easier to remember and serve than 6 different drinks.
I carry a packet of powdered lemonade or tea into restaurants, and pour it in my glass of water, to save $2. A friend of mine sometimes will ask the waitress for a free dish of lemon slices, which he then makes lemonade from.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:12 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I carry a packet of powdered lemonade or tea into restaurants, and pour it in my glass of water, to save $2. A friend of mine sometimes will ask the waitress for a free dish of lemon slices, which he then makes lemonade from.
IMHO bringing food to a restaurant crosses the line from frugal to...well...something else.

Why bother going to a restaurant?

Old 02-11-2014, 10:45 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,478,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
IMHO bringing food to a restaurant crosses the line from frugal to...well...something else.

Why bother going to a restaurant?
When I was in college, I carried a bottle of water with me and pull it out if the restaurant charged money for water (which I was vehemently opposed to paying.)

Old 02-12-2014, 07:36 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,155 times
Every penny saved is one you can spend later. You d be surprised how fast that can add up.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:17 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
If you have 2-3 years of savings, you've done better than most. I agree cheapest isn't always the best. It's all about value.

No lectures here. I am curious about the eating out. Is this your way of getting out of the house to do something different each day? I'm a sahm in a neighborhood of other sahm's and other people who work at home. Many of us share a common need to do something different each day besides staying locked up in the house all day. It's easy to get into spending money mode just to do something different than looking at the same four walls each day. If you haven't already, I would encourage you to find something you enjoy to get you excited and moving each day. Get out and take a daily walk or other form of excercise, volunteer, or just find an inexpensive hobby that makes money or do it just because you enjoy it. I think you will find it makes your days a little better.
Sorry but the SAMs in my neighborhood are into kids, measles and support retention. I have given up on greeting walkers but the construction crews, UPS, ... know about the cooler with water on the porch.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:25 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I'm allergic to cats and dust... and I have cats and dust. Cleaning day is hell for me.
Convince the cats to be dust mops? Just kidding!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:58 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Personally, I don't think paying $3 for a soda is worth it when I can get a 6 pack (of 12 oz) or 8 pack (of 8 oz) sodas for $3 at the store. Having to overpay actually takes away from my enjoyment.

Besides, water is a lot better for you anyway.
I only eat out at restaurants when I'm out of town, as I love to cook, and I always order just water. I've seen a number of restaurants which tempt you by the low prices advertised for a meal, and then they jack up the cost of beverages to make up for the cheap meal.

Besides, I have frequent urination problems, and if I have a beer or coke, I'm panicking a few blocks away, wondering if I'll find a bathroom in time!

Hopefully, the OP will discover the joys of cooking, and the savings from not eating out, he can use that disposable income for other pleasures.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:32 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I started buying kroger facial tissues instead of real Kleenexes, to save maybe 50 cents a box. Those things are rough and when I try to dry my ears with one, it disintegrates. A real Kleenex allows me to wrap one around my fingy and insert it into my ear.

I've been out of work and if I live like a dog, I will be broke in 3 years. But if I live like a normal person, I will be broke in 2 years. "Pinching pennies" is a pain and it's not worth the trouble. I often can't decide whether to pay $6 for a crappy lunch or $9 for a decent lunch. I tend to alternate between the two. Life is too short to scrimp all the time. So I scrimp half the time.

Most people wouldn't notice, but there is quite a diff between real paper towels and cheaper ones. It's also true of crackers.
Lets put that in a different way...6$ for a crappy lunch is 180$/ month
9$ for a decent lunch is 270/ month.
They BOTH sound like a waste of money.
Whats wrong with toilet paper for the nose?...and quit putting things in your earsespecially tissue, use a cloth if you must.
I guess it really boils down to priorities...personally I'd rather cook or prepare (at a lot less price, and a lot more nutrition) my own meals.
Who needs crackers...break out the flour and make a quick batch of biscuits...freeze some, and eat those instead...better for YOU, and your pocketbook.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:34 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Every penny saved is one you can spend later. You d be surprised how fast that can add up.
luvmyhoss is right...and it don't take long
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living