Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 02:15 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times

Advertisements

Up until I joined I was like every other single or 2 person family, it's a waste because I will not consume the products before they go bad or it's just me that store is for families.

Well, I was wrong, way wrong. I save tons of money. I initially joined just for drinking items, which would save me roughly 200$ per year, more than enough to pay off the 55$ membership fee. Then I discovered everything else they have to offer.

Is there a point that Costco does not save you money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 02:29 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Up until I joined I was like every other single or 2 person family, it's a waste because I will not consume the products before they go bad or it's just me that store is for families.

Well, I was wrong, way wrong. I save tons of money. I initially joined just for drinking items, which would save me roughly 200$ per year, more than enough to pay off the 55$ membership fee. Then I discovered everything else they have to offer.

Yes. That point is when you shop without a list, and give in to tempting impulse buys. I do very well at Costco, but I use them for the same things every time I go. Meats are much better than what I get in the grocery store, so I buy and repackage them. Their dog food is highly rated, and far less expensive than the premium brands at stores such as Petsmart. I buy coffee, spices, fish, and some, but not all personal care items, like contact lens solution. Nuts, and bagels are frequent purchases too.

I never, ever accept a free sample. That would lead to one of those impulse buys, as, I admit, I can be weak.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
We love Costco...unfortunately we have none upstate NY. Cannot understand why they haven't opened upstate. Visited Idaho and they have a store every ten miles it seems, out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe someday...

Old 02-08-2014, 04:23 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:

It's just like any other store. You have to know what stuff costs. There are super bargains in Costco, and there are items that you could get for less elsewhere.

I shop there and get good prices on the items that I buy. My family uses everything I buy, and I have the room to store it all safely so it doesn't spoil. I imagine that Costco would be an expensive place to shop for a person who wasted much of what they bought, didn't use it all, or allowed it to spoil.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:57 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:

Better yet, stop buying drinking items. Depends what you buy. In general, the more processed something is, the better a deal you're going to get at Costco. Fresh fruit or veggies or meat? They're expensive. Basically, if you buy a lot of processed foods and drinking items, you'll come out ahead. Also if you like to eat a lot of higher quality meat and don't mind paying more for it. It's not necessarily the cheapest place, but at least here Costco has better meat than you're going to find at your supermarket.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Better yet, stop buying drinking items. Depends what you buy. In general, the more processed something is, the better a deal you're going to get at Costco. Fresh fruit or veggies or meat? They're expensive. Basically, if you buy a lot of processed foods and drinking items, you'll come out ahead. Also if you like to eat a lot of higher quality meat and don't mind paying more for it. It's not necessarily the cheapest place, but at least here Costco has better meat than you're going to find at your supermarket.
I disagree with these comments. The drinking items I was referring to is just spring water and San Pellegrino. The fruits and veggies are cheaper at Costco than my groceries and the meat is by far way cheaper. Eggs, wine, cheese, milk, honey, etc...all cheaper at Costco.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:15 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Quote:
I disagree with these comments. The drinking items I was referring to is just spring water and San Pellegrino. The fruits and veggies are cheaper at Costco than my groceries and the meat is by far way cheaper. Eggs, wine, cheese, milk, honey, etc...all cheaper at Costco.
I agree that "staple" items are cheaper. As a single person, Costco doesn't work for me. I find I waste more because of the larger quantities and bulk items. I do miss those smoked sausages/hot dogs that they sell before you walk out.....so yummy!

Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
I agree that "staple" items are cheaper. As a single person, Costco doesn't work for me. I find I waste more because of the larger quantities and bulk items. I do miss those smoked sausages/hot dogs that they sell before you walk out.....so yummy!
I'm single and it works great for me.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:00 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Where I live tap water is way more frugal.

I do my shopping at WinCo, so it's pretty tough to beat. Red bell pepper are 68-88 cents each, avacodos 50 cents to 80 cents each, Apples (Fuji, Braeburn, etc) bout a $1lb pound, eggs are ~$2 for 18. The meats pretty disgusting at WinCo. I get that elsewhere, but I don't eat enough meat for the Costco membership to be worthwhile.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:20 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
When we had three cats I used to save enough just on cat litter to pay my yearly membership at Sam's Club. All the other savings was just extra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living