Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:19 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times

Advertisements

We just bought our first home a few months ago and this has been our first winter here. Our electric heating bill has been outrageous. We were thinking of getting a fireplace insert for our wood burning fireplace.

Any thoughts? Experiences good or bad? Will it actually save money on heating bills?

The inserts I've priced are a bit spendy ($2K-$4K new/installed). Is it worth it? Our current bill has been close to $400. per month. (Ouch. )

This is the first home we've lived in that has had a wood burning fireplace, and we have never had an insert - so I welcome all kind replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 03:22 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Maybe ask in the house forum? Folks there might be more familiar w/the fireplace insert.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:04 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
We've had them before at our three previous houses. Not sure how much we saved cost wise. We liked them because the heat made the house feel warm and cozy unlike the ducted heat. After having been through three major ice storms with no power for several days, the insert was also a part of our emergency plan. We thought the cost was worth it.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:32 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,859,092 times
What will the source of your wood be?

Old 02-19-2014, 12:53 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What will the source of your wood be?
Very good question. We had a wood fireplace,very laborious.
Changed to pellets, very pricy. Cheaper to just use heating system in house.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:59 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Why do you want to install an insert rather than just using the fireplace? If the concern is with the condition of the firebox, I'm pretty sure you could have it tuckpointed for much less than the cost of installing an insert.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:19 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,148 times
We put a propane insert in our wood burning fireplace up in PA and loved it. We didn't have natural gas, so had to go the propane route. We were told that our fireplace box was too close to the wood framing and we shouldn't use it but I really love having a fire. So this was a great alternative. Had 2 100# tanks in the back of the house. The biggest pain was having to take them and have them refilled.

But if you have a natural gas hook-up, that I would recommend it. We have one down here (natural gas) and use it when it gets cold outside as it seems to take the chill off without having to raise the temp on the thermostat. We have a vented one because my allergies don't allow for unvented.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:06 PM

738 posts, read 999,605 times
For us, there has never been a question about having an alternate heating source for one reason: power outages. So when we purchased our current home in 2007, we installed an air-tight EPA certified insert, stainless steel chimney liner and spark cap. And we did it ourselves for less than $2000.

Best decision we could have made.

RVcook

Old 02-19-2014, 09:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
We had one. We didn't use it except for the occasional power outage. I think DH was overly enthusiastic about it. He found that he didn't enjoy chopping wood, or hunting for good wood to burn. And then we were sold some green wood and had a chimney fire. Lucky it didn't do anything except damage the stack. (Honestly, we were quite lucky.) I think that dampened his enthusiasm.

When we used it, it honestly didn't heat the house. And the fire went out overnight.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:20 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
If you have a traditional fireplace with a chimney, the heat you are paying for is going right up the chimney.

My recommendation is that you have the chimney inspected and if it is sound, install a regular woodstove in front of the fireplace, with the stove pipe going up the chimney and the openeing to the fireplace well and thoroughly closed off.

The whole point of the wood stove is to have all that iron heated up and giving off all it's heat, from all four sides, into the room. If you have an enclosded insert, then it will seal off the drafts, so that is plus. However, the heat from the sides, back, and top of the insert is still going up the chimney.

I love wood heat, but it is not cheaper unless you have a cheap source of firewood. You also must have a place to store the firewood and age it, because nobody, no matter what they swear to you, is going to sell you firewood properly dried and ready to burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living