U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:41 AM

2,677 posts, read 3,727,777 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how I can find the cause. We live in FL in a 875sqft apartment. Months of December, January, February and March, I keep the AC and the heat completely off. During these months, our power bill is in the range of $60-65. Well this month came in at $85. The AC/heat has been off since December and the December and January bills were in line with the $60-65 range. So something happened this month. The only thing I can think of is my GF has the TV on all day - I'm not sure that she does or not, I will ask. She works from home, but usually does not have the TV on, unless that's changed. The other thing is that we have a water heater and for whatever reason since October it would turn off randomly. I set the water heater to the highest setting, because if not, the water never gets HOT. The water heater shutting off issue was fixed last month and now it stays on like it should. Could this be the issue? I honestly can't think of a reason for such a large jump, I haven't done anything differently. I make sure lights are on only where they are needed. Here is our kwh used by month:

Dec 440
Jan 479
Feb 598

How can I figure this out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 AM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I'm wondering how I can find the cause.
The meter spinning.

Quote:
We live in FL in a 875sqft apartment.
You probably have a heat pump which probably has "back up" (electric) heaters in it.
That and other electrical appliances and fixtures running will do it.

Quote:
...our power bill is in the range of $60-65. Well this month came in at $85.
Mine was similarly (1/3) higher this month. It was REAL cold here.
c'est la vie.

Look on the water heater for a date (installed, manufactured, etc).
If it's more than 10 years put it on the list.
If less, call your plumber guy to check it.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The meter spinning.

You probably have a heat pump which probably has "back up" (electric) heaters in it.
That and other electrical appliances and fixtures running will do it.

Mine was similarly (1/3) higher this month. It was REAL cold here.
c'est la vie.

Look on the water heater for a date (installed, manufactured, etc).
If it's more than 10 years put it on the list.
If less, call your plumber guy to check it.

We haven't had the heat or AC on, so the weather shouldn't be an issue. Nothing else has changed from one month to the next. The water heater is newer and is energy efficient (at least the label says so).

Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 AM

6,013 posts, read 2,697,304 times
I once had an aberration like that but it was in the summer time. I was gone for 3 weeks no AC and nothing on except what was plugged in. The power company's answer was the refrigerator was working too hard to keep cool without AC. So, if you've had abnormally hot days for February that might be part of it.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:02 AM

Temps actually lower last month than in Dec/Jan.

I have a feeling I need to investigate what goes on when I'm not home. However, my GF is very conscious - usually when I come home she's on the computer in the dark!

Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 AM

6,013 posts, read 2,697,304 times
Are you leaving the heat off to save money or because its not cold?

If shes cold, maybe she's putting the heat on during the day lol.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,628,961 times
According to the Federal Government, typical energy consumption for a 50 gallon standard-duty electric water heater (the type I'd expect to find in a rental) would be about 385 kWh per month. Since you keep the heat on yours cranked up, it could be higher than that. So if the water heater ran more often in the past month than it did previously it could easily account for most of the difference, if not all.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
According to the Federal Government, typical energy consumption for a 50 gallon standard-duty electric water heater (the type I'd expect to find in a rental) would be about 385 kWh per month. Since you keep the heat on yours cranked up, it could be higher than that. So if the water heater ran more often in the past month than it did previously it could easily account for most of the difference, if not all.
OK, that makes sense. If I turn it down any lower the water is always warm, never hot. I'll check the capacity. Where did you get this information about consumption, is there a link you could send?

Old 02-20-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Are you leaving the heat off to save money or because its not cold?

If shes cold, maybe she's putting the heat on during the day lol.
Haha, no, it just hasn't been cold. Average temp inside is about 70-75 during the day. She's always in shorts, I can't imagine she's cold lol. Plus I told her if she gets cold to put on pants!

Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,628,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
OK, that makes sense. If I turn it down any lower the water is always warm, never hot. I'll check the capacity. Where did you get this information about consumption, is there a link you could send?
I just went to the website of a home improvement store, they have the yellow "energy guide" label information for each model. I just picked one that looks typical (although the one I looked at was a 40 gallon, not a 50 gallon as I said in my previous post), here's the link:

Richmond 40 Gal Electric 6 Year Medium Utility Water Heater at Menards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living