U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM

109 posts, read 142,985 times

Advertisements

with youtube and similiar sites, saving money is made easier. at the same time, you're learning a trade, so does this experience count as work experience? i know i should have put this in employment thread, but it also involves frugal living, so what's your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 04:45 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
I would not think so... but not sure what you are talking about.

Watching YouTube does not make you a licensed plumber, for example.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:51 PM

for your plumber example, let's say you applied as a helper, and you did your own plumbing at home. do you think that your home experience amounts to work experience even if it's a little such as using the same tools?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:52 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Nope.

No one critiqued your work...
heck, no one even knows if you did things properly and up to code.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 PM

why?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:57 PM

374 posts, read 387,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane was walking again View Post
for your plumber example, let's say you applied as a helper, and you did your own plumbing at home. do you think that your home experience amounts to work experience even if it's a little such as using the same tools?
There will always be the nay sayers.... If some had their way you would need to go to college, or get a permit to breath.

I think any skill you can learn to do things for yourself is great. I have had many friends learn to cook at home and go on open or work in restaurants. I have had a couple that learned basic carpentry skills at home, helping remodel and get jobs for it. One learned some basic auto repairs and was chosen over another for the fact he had drive. I would think mentioning it, showing your drive and willingness to learn would help. If you did some of your own work did you get permits and have inspected? If so would be good to mention, that you are willing to learn and this is what you attempted.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:46 AM

420 posts, read 623,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane was walking again View Post
why?
Because. Reading or watching something doesn't give you experience unless it is peer reviewed.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:14 AM

11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times
I caulk my own bathroom and I paint my own walls. I do a lot of small home repairs to my home. because I don't care if my calking job isn't perfect, and that my walls aren't either. They are good enough. Which when you start plying that trade out to people who pay, all of a sudden good enough ISN'T good enough. When people pay, they want it perfect - or near to it.

Undergoing a apprenticeship, or even working with someone how has done these things so they can teach you correct technique is a different thing than watching you tube and doing it in your house.

Hey -- the world needs more handymen -- they make good money. But not the kind of money a craftsman can. That's why we lack handymen.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,228,937 times
The trouble with teaching yourself or learning from scripted, limited sources such as YouTube videos is that you don't know what you don't know, and you don't know what it is your are not being taught. You know what you are shown in the "training" materials, and you may master that, but that sort of "training" only exposes you to a tiny fraction of the possible scenarios you would be expected to have mastered if you were to apply for employment as an experienced practitioner. You may feel that you have "learned" how to do the various tasks, but, for example in the case of plumbing, if your work has not been evaluated by a licensed plumber, someone who actually knows the trade and the regulations and codes that apply, you have no idea whether you were taught properly or whether you properly understood what you were taught. You would have no idea what you don't know. A plumber would be reluctant to hire a helper with no more training than a YouTube videos or self teaching because he/she would not know where the gaps were in the applicant's knowledge, nor would the applicant. It could be a recipe for disaster.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:54 PM

8,238 posts, read 9,990,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
The trouble with teaching yourself or learning from scripted, limited sources such as YouTube videos is that you don't know what you don't know, and you don't know what it is your are not being taught. You know what you are shown in the "training" materials, and you may master that, but that sort of "training" only exposes you to a tiny fraction of the possible scenarios you would be expected to have mastered if you were to apply for employment as an experienced practitioner. You may feel that you have "learned" how to do the various tasks, but, for example in the case of plumbing, if your work has not been evaluated by a licensed plumber, someone who actually knows the trade and the regulations and codes that apply, you have no idea whether you were taught properly or whether you properly understood what you were taught. You would have no idea what you don't know. A plumber would be reluctant to hire a helper with no more training than a YouTube videos or self teaching because he/she would not know where the gaps were in the applicant's knowledge, nor would the applicant. It could be a recipe for disaster.
Good points!! - I've hired folks to do various maintenance/repair projects in the past, who advertised themselves as "qualified, experienced, skilled" ... only to discover that they were only "qualified, experienced, skilled" in the ways they had previously done specific things -- BUT, they had little/no idea what to do when unexpected obstacles or problems arose.

Now, I only hire people who are "trained, licensed and responsible" for getting the entire job done right, on-time, at the quoted price! 'Home grown jam' is okay, but, home grown skills invariably costs me a lot of time, money and aggravation.

Last edited by jghorton; 03-03-2014 at 03:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or