U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:34 PM

10 posts, read 26,469 times

Advertisements

I have been learning to cut back on everything, and it feels really liberating. I buy all my clothes used at good will and the salvation army. I plan on being completely debt emancipated in 5 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:43 PM

812 posts, read 2,064,020 times
We live below our means and always have! We cut corners and save as much as we can. It doesn't mean we don'r enjoy life. It just means we pay cash when we want something. We save for things when we want them and it makes you think harder before you make the bigger purchases. We don't go out to eat as much so we eat well at home. I always loved fresh flowers in my home so now we have roses planted in the yard so I always have fresh flowers in the home. Instead of using the dryer, I line dry all my laundry. We just cut every corner. I now have a vegetable garden, etc etc etc. We love to travel and we haven't cut trips so we cut corners in areas where we don't need to spend money. If you save money and live below your means then you will feel better when you see ineterst growing in your savings account. When we make home purchases, we have always bought for less than what we can afford and always have shopped at Wal Mart for groceries. You can live very well and be happy and not feel broke at all and come out way ahead. P.S. you can still give to charity and not pinch pennies too!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:30 PM

8,062 posts, read 15,866,907 times
Prinny, Walmart isn't the cheapest for groceries. They just make people think they are. If you aren't brand dependent and you shop around/watch the sales, you find that you can get much better deals elsewhere. I buy my staples at Save-a-Lot and, indeed, I DO save a lot! Last week, they had lettuce for 89 cents and eggs for just $1.25 per dozen! Ground chuck was $2.19 per pound! Their offbrand rice, pastas, and canned goods taste perfectly good. I support a local grocer for my produce (before my garden produces) -- it's cheaper and tastier than Walmart's.

I've found that Walmart's fruit and veg. and seafood are imported from other countries, in most cases. Their produce doesn't taste as good or last as long as the produce from local grocery stores here that buy Texas goods. I read packaging and signs carefully as I do NOT want to buy fish from China or produce from Latin America. The health standards just aren't good. Besides, I still want to support our local growers when I can't get to the farmers market.

Thanks to all for the comments on manufactured housing! I think it's an affordable, attractive, and practical option; I wish the stereotypes would die out already! My home has held up well to some pretty fierce Texas storms, as have the older homes around me for a decade or more! I really love my home!

Old 06-17-2008, 01:04 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,807,288 times
subbing

Old 06-17-2008, 01:46 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Prinny, Walmart isn't the cheapest for groceries. They just make people think they are. ...
Really?

We find that Walmart does help with our budget.

I get their 'Great Value' brand hamburger helper mixes. 68 cents per box is pretty cheap [mac and cheese, dirty rice, Alfredo, cheese and broccoli, Spanish rice, 3 kinds of beef pasta, etc]. And the dried shelf-stable tortellini when we can get it for under $1/pound.

I have our own veggies and greens. We have our own: pork / chicken / fish / chevron / rabbit.

My dw has been stocking rice, wheat, beans, barley, and pastas in 5-gallon buckets for many years. She makes our own ketchup, mustards, relish, and salad dressings. Of course our own breads.

For the last year she has been working on recipes to mimic the hamburger-helper types of mixes.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:08 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,246,775 times
I shop at Walmart. Really watch the scanner!!! I catch 3 or 4 errors a month. We get $5 per error in Michigan.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:02 PM

8,062 posts, read 15,866,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Really?

We find that Walmart does help with our budget.

I get their 'Great Value' brand hamburger helper mixes. 68 cents per box is pretty cheap [mac and cheese, dirty rice, Alfredo, cheese and broccoli, Spanish rice, 3 kinds of beef pasta, etc]. And the dried shelf-stable tortellini when we can get it for under $1/pound.

I have our own veggies and greens. We have our own: pork / chicken / fish / chevron / rabbit.

My dw has been stocking rice, wheat, beans, barley, and pastas in 5-gallon buckets for many years. She makes our own ketchup, mustards, relish, and salad dressings. Of course our own breads.

For the last year she has been working on recipes to mimic the hamburger-helper types of mixes.
The Dollar Tree sells its pasta at 3 packages for $1 or 2 packages for $1 for some types. (I don't find value in hamburger helper mixes when you can buy the pasta MUCH cheaper and add your own cheese and seasonings. You're already adding the burger!)

I had to run into Walmart for something a few weeks ago and was astonished at how much their prices had jumped, especially for pastas and rice. Walmart wanted $1 for a regular-sized box of Rice-a-roni and I had paid less than that for a FAMILY SIZED box at Big Lots just days before. The pastas had jumped, too. Better deals can be had elsewhere.

Check out the Dollar Tree and Big Lots, if you have these stores.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:17 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
The Dollar Tree sells its pasta at 3 packages for $1 or 2 packages for $1 for some types. (I don't find value in hamburger helper mixes when you can buy the pasta MUCH cheaper and add your own cheese and seasonings. You're already adding the burger!)

I had to run into Walmart for something a few weeks ago and was astonished at how much their prices had jumped, especially for pastas and rice. Walmart wanted $1 for a regular-sized box of Rice-a-roni and I had paid less than that for a FAMILY SIZED box at Big Lots just days before. The pastas had jumped, too. Better deals can be had elsewhere.

Check out the Dollar Tree and Big Lots, if you have these stores.
We already have a lot of pasta.

I think it goes for 25 cents a pound, I can check.

Either way, so long as each meal for four can be provided for under $2 we are doing okay.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:18 PM

7,139 posts, read 12,892,377 times
The concern I have with buying food from cheaper stores is that they can be from China or other third world places, and just am leery of buying them. I don't penny pinch on food. I don't splurge either, but do make sure I get the best quality for the dollar.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:24 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,841,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
The concern I have with buying food from cheaper stores is that they can be from China or other third world places, and just am leery of buying them. I don't penny pinch on food. I don't splurge either, but do make sure I get the best quality for the dollar.

That bothers me too...
Shrimp from China is just not appetizing to me !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or