U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:58 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,169,055 times

Advertisements

Since I quit drinking (a year ago) and been living better, I have lived a more simple life now.

I shop (about 98% of the time) in thrift stores and Wal-Mart. I used to be bad and just wanted to shop at the malls. But that got to expensive to live like that.

I also don't go out to bars and nightclubs anymore. Not as fun as it used to be anymore and now is boring these days anyway. So, my husband and I have gotten back to renting movies at the video stores now and love staying home on a Friday night and watching a movie together.

I don't go to the tanning salon anymore either. It's cheaper to just do it in my backyard. Besides, I got a better tan now than I did when I was going to tanning salons anyway.

I'm also letting my hair grow long and have decided to get a trim only every December these days. It looks great nowadays. I was meant to have long hair anyway. I miss having long hair (haven't had long hair since 1999).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 03:02 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,561,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post

More and more I'm doing what it takes to live simply. I've cut a lot of things out of my life. I don't buy what I can't afford. I make do with less. I want to live more simply so that I can live more freely. I want to enjoy life, not work like a ox for things I can live without.

Is anyone else on the board seeking a more simple life? Has anyone else learned the hard way that "things" can end up owning us. I hope you'll share your stories.

greenie
for some reason i can't give you reputation but i have highlighted your words which strike a chord with me.

i really wish that when i was a little younger i spent less time chasing the "BUCK"

you're one hundred percent right. i know very few people who aren't owned by their money and their possessions. golden handcuffs is what they call it!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 PM

67 posts, read 180,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Really?

We find that Walmart does help with our budget.

I get their 'Great Value' brand hamburger helper mixes. 68 cents per box is pretty cheap [mac and cheese, dirty rice, Alfredo, cheese and broccoli, Spanish rice, 3 kinds of beef pasta, etc]. And the dried shelf-stable tortellini when we can get it for under $1/pound.

I have our own veggies and greens. We have our own: pork / chicken / fish / chevron / rabbit.

My dw has been stocking rice, wheat, beans, barley, and pastas in 5-gallon buckets for many years. She makes our own ketchup, mustards, relish, and salad dressings. Of course our own breads.

For the last year she has been working on recipes to mimic the hamburger-helper types of mixes.
Forest,

is money that tight that you have to make your own hamburger helper? if so, i wish the best for you, because that's not easy.

i personally like to spend a little more money on better food, because eating all that high-carb, high fat stuff will get you in the end. and then you'll be spending money on pills and hospital bills. heart disease is a number one killer in this country and so much of it is preventable.

in good health,

lettuce

Old 06-19-2008, 09:49 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettuce View Post
Forest,

is money that tight that you have to make your own hamburger helper? if so, i wish the best for you, because that's not easy.

i personally like to spend a little more money on better food, because eating all that high-carb, high fat stuff will get you in the end. and then you'll be spending money on pills and hospital bills. heart disease is a number one killer in this country and so much of it is preventable.

in good health,

lettuce
No.

It is not a matter of money being tight.

Though making hamburger helper mixes is actually very easy.

We mostly only use chicken or turkey, as we don't eat red meat. [living in Southern Italy eating the local foods for three years, sent my cholesterol through the roof. So I don't eat red meat, milk, cheese, eggs, or olives now.]

Right now we are enjoying making more of our own foods. Raising livestock, poultry, gardening, etc.

Do you actually know anyone who has heart disease? I don't have it. I don't think that I know anyone who does, unless a few of the older guys at my local VFW have it. The WWII vets are old and have every ailment known to man I think.

My Dw has been making our breads for 25 years. She cans, and does pickling, drying, salting, smoking stuff.

We recently began freeze-drying foods.

After having raised five children on an enlisted servicemember's salary, we did learn how to feed our family on under $200/month. We never repeat any meal on our menu for a six week cycle.

We just never left the habit of eating cheap. Such budgeting allowed us to travel more when we lived in Europe, and allowed us to invest more in our apartment buildings.

Lately since my retirement we have been enjoying much more fresh produce.

DW has been really enjoying making cheeses and sausages.

You really need to pay closer attention though. If you are thinking that more expensive foods are better for you. Often the cheaper foods are much more healthy to eat.

Bon apetito

Old 06-19-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
No.

It is not a matter of money being tight.

Though making hamburger helper mixes is actually very easy.

We mostly only use chicken or turkey, as we don't eat red meat. [living in Southern Italy eating the local foods for three years, sent my cholesterol through the roof. So I don't eat red meat, milk, cheese, eggs, or olives now.]

Right now we are enjoying making more of our own foods. Raising livestock, poultry, gardening, etc.

Do you actually know anyone who has heart disease? I don't have it. I don't think that I know anyone who does, unless a few of the older guys at my local VFW have it. The WWII vets are old and have every ailment known to man I think.

My Dw has been making our breads for 25 years. She cans, and does pickling, drying, salting, smoking stuff.

We recently began freeze-drying foods.

After having raised five children on an enlisted servicemember's salary, we did learn how to feed our family on under $200/month. We never repeat any meal on our menu for a six week cycle.

We just never left the habit of eating cheap. Such budgeting allowed us to travel more when we lived in Europe, and allowed us to invest more in our apartment buildings.

Lately since my retirement we have been enjoying much more fresh produce.

DW has been really enjoying making cheeses and sausages.

You really need to pay closer attention though. If you are thinking that more expensive foods are better for you. Often the cheaper foods are much more healthy to eat.

Bon apetito
Hi Forest,

I'm glad you're not struggling. I just remember eating a lot of hamburger helper when I was poor. It has a lot of fat and artificial stuff in it, and it made me sick most of the time. I don't think I'd want to make it at home.

I'm glad you don't have heart disease, too. Funny thing about heart disease is it usually doesn't present any symptoms. You can have arteriosclerosis and never even know it. Look what happened to poor Tim Russel. He was fine until the day he dropped dead, god rest his soul.

While it's nice to know how to eat for $2 a meal, i think it's a trade off between how many hours you want to slave in the kitchen making your own mustard and ketchup. Hopefully, you treat your wife to a night off now and then. She must work hard in that kitchen. Do you at least have air conditioning in the summer?

cheers,

lettuce

Old 06-19-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
Since I quit drinking (a year ago) and been living better, I have lived a more simple life now.

I shop (about 98% of the time) in thrift stores and Wal-Mart. I used to be bad and just wanted to shop at the malls. But that got to expensive to live like that.

I also don't go out to bars and nightclubs anymore. Not as fun as it used to be anymore and now is boring these days anyway. So, my husband and I have gotten back to renting movies at the video stores now and love staying home on a Friday night and watching a movie together.

I don't go to the tanning salon anymore either. It's cheaper to just do it in my backyard. Besides, I got a better tan now than I did when I was going to tanning salons anyway.

I'm also letting my hair grow long and have decided to get a trim only every December these days. It looks great nowadays. I was meant to have long hair anyway. I miss having long hair (haven't had long hair since 1999).
You sound like me! Renting movies is lots of fun. Going to bars is too expensive now days. Think of all the movies you could rent for that beer money!

I'm skipping hair cuts and letting my hair grow long also. And now that I've started shopping in thrift stores, I dress better than ever. I'm learning to sew, too!

lettuce

Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Hi Forest,

I'm glad you're not struggling. I just remember eating a lot of hamburger helper when I was poor. It has a lot of fat and artificial stuff in it, and it made me sick most of the time. I don't think I'd want to make it at home.

I'm glad you don't have heart disease, too. Funny thing about heart disease is it usually doesn't present any symptoms. You can have arteriosclerosis and never even know it. Look what happened to poor Tim Russel. He was fine until the day he dropped dead, god rest his soul.

While it's nice to know how to eat for $2 a meal, i think it's a trade off between how many hours you want to slave in the kitchen making your own mustard and ketchup. Hopefully, you treat your wife to a night off now and then. She must work hard in that kitchen. Do you at least have air conditioning in the summer?

cheers,

lettuce
I do have my blood checked every three months, to monitor my cholesterol. But no High BP [which is a sign of heart disease], no over-weight, no diabetes.

I cook most of our day-to-day meals. While my Dw does the food preservation stuff, makes the pasta, drying and some of the condiments. She does sweet breads while I make the sourdough. She does the ketchup and tomato paste, I do the mustards. She likes making the mixes. I do the butchering, we figure out the individual cuts together, and she does the sausages. Lately she has been substituting dried bean powder into the bread recipes.

So far we have had some warm weather, kind of. It has not gotten over 65* today, the highest we have seen this spring has been 68*. We have some window A/C units, we brought them up from the basement, tested them and we are cleaning them, but they will likely go right back down into the basement for storage this summer. I just don't know if it will be getting hot this summer.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I do have my blood checked every three months, to monitor my cholesterol. But no High BP [which is a sign of heart disease], no over-weight, no diabetes.

I cook most of our day-to-day meals. While my Dw does the food preservation stuff, makes the pasta, drying and some of the condiments. She does sweet breads while I make the sourdough. She does the ketchup and tomato paste, I do the mustards. She likes making the mixes. I do the butchering, we figure out the individual cuts together, and she does the sausages. Lately she has been substituting dried bean powder into the bread recipes.

So far we have had some warm weather, kind of. It has not gotten over 65* today, the highest we have seen this spring has been 68*. We have some window A/C units, we brought them up from the basement, tested them and we are cleaning them, but they will likely go right back down into the basement for storage this summer. I just don't know if it will be getting hot this summer.
Sorry Forest, not to get too far off topic, but heart disease is a "silent killer." You often have no symptoms. Important thing is to eat right, even if it means spending a few dollars extra on food. Don't scrimp. I get my protein from egg whites and fish. Keep the weight down, and lots of exercise is so important.

I know that I could save a few extra bucks a month eating pasta, more bread, and stuff like hamburger helper, but I'd rather live longer, and feel good each day. What did I eat today? Fresh flounder for breakfast. Oatmeal (the good kind that takes a long time to cook) with soy milk, bananas, and blueberries for lunch. A slice of bread with avocado for dinner.

I don't think I could eat hamburger helper. Tried it once and it nearly killed me. That stuff is full of nasty preservatives and artificial stuff.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:34 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,845,131 times
Quote:
Sorry Forest, not to get too far off topic, but heart disease is a "silent killer." You often have no symptoms. .
If you have your cholesterol and blood pressure checked regularly
those are the main causes/indicators of heart disease. It is called the "silent killer" because you cannot feel high blood pressure or high cholesterol. Doctors can watch for and treat the things that lead to heart disease.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
If you have your cholesterol and blood pressure checked regularly
those are the main causes/indicators of heart disease. It is called the "silent killer" because you cannot feel high blood pressure or high cholesterol. Doctors can watch for and treat the things that lead to heart disease.
Interesting. My father had none of these symptoms before his first heart attack. He also never had a weight problem. He had a physical every year. One year, the doctor did an EKG, which showed MI and he was under the knife that weekend for triple bypass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or