U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:44 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,555,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Any more examples of simple living? I would love to hear more stories. Anybody?
Greenie, you should check out Thomas Elpel's web site. He's made the art of simple living into a fascinating lifestyle. There are tons of articles on the site, as well as links to Elpel's books and videos.

Thomas J. Elpel's Web World Main Menu: Primitive Living Skills, Sustainable Living Skills, HOPS Press, LLC, Granny's Country Store, Green University, LLC, Society of Primitive Technology, Wildflowers & Weeds, 3Rivers Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 03:51 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,930,459 times
Quote:
Speedy, don't take offense to my comments because they're intended to offer a different perspective and not to offend you.

Making more money won't chance your current lifestyle of living paycheck to paycheck. You'll simply increase your expenses to go along with your influx in pay. In fact, your situation will likely become more dangerous because you'll adapt your lifestyle to the higher income and be at much greater risk of financial disaster if you were to lose that job and not readily match the pay elsewhere.

A lot of people go broke talking about how they're going to change their habits in the future. Don't be one of them! Change your habits NOW and don't bank on potential income to fund your savings/retirement.
No offense taken but I would like to clarify that I'm not exactly living paycheck to paycheck, I do have some money tucked away for when I need it but the majority of it is tied up in investments, cd's, and my home all of which isn't easily accessible.

I am going to work on putting more money away though, I know with this new salary that I'll need to keep myself from trying to "keep up with the Joneses" as they say. I would like to get a 2nd vehicle though, some type of sports car and have actually planned on getting one for quite some time (right after I sold my old Porsche). That may be one thing that I'll splurge on.

Oh and Greenie, yes a couple of my friends are single. Actually one might be a good fit for you:

42 years old, very good looking (hey I'll admit it)
Made millions in the IT sector back in the 90's
Owns 2 houses; 1 in Scottsdale and 1 in Minneapolis
Has quite a few high-end vehicles
And he is the romantic type....

Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 PM

10,873 posts, read 41,191,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
I can't believe how you guys responded to lethal. This is OT i know, but come on.
What I can't believe is that I simply pointed out that getting by ... and getting ahead ... was up to "lethal".

What I got back from "lethal" was a personal attack wherein I was labeled with the worst slurs that they could possibly toss out ... essentially, blaming me and/or eveybody else for their strictly personal failure.

C'mon ... give me a break. Three! Count them ... Three! degrees and can't find a job worthy of their time. There's not one of those framed pieces of paper on the wall that confer "smarts" upon the recipient, not one of them that will, by itself ... pay any bills.

Those degrees only represent "tools" to be productive. If the owner of those degrees chooses to not be of value or service to an employer, then it's their sole personal responsibility.

Given that I know of businesses in many sectors just absolutely hurting for employees willing to work .... in all phases from the lowest worker up through professional capacities ... with decent pay ... there's simply no reason right now why someone willing to work is without employment. I'll qualify that by pointing out that very few people start out at the TOP.

Just like "lethal" negatively went off on my comments about learning how to work on my own cars ... which happened to lead to a very rewarding career for me ... with all the reasons why it couldn't be done without a facility, lots of tools, etc .... I started out with an old movie film can filled with used hand tools from pawn shops and flea markets, working under my "shady apple tree". I didn't start out with $250,000 worth of Snap-On tools, nor a 5,000 sq ft pro shop with all the diagnostic tools and equipment. But I got there, and I had the vision and drive to make it happen ....

"lethal" sounds like they think the world owes them a handsome living in the executive suite in recognition of THREE DEGREES.

I don't have any degrees, and I'd bet I can out work, out produce, and be more valuable to my prospective employers than "lethal" can any day of the week.

I can lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way as needed ...

My best days in business are when my employees come to me with some really outstanding ideas about how to get something done and show me something I didn't know ... better, faster, more efficient, more economical ... happy employees make for happier customers. They're the ones we really work for and who pay our bills.

One last thought ... "you're no better than the last project you finished".
Motivation, pride in your work, determination to do it right ... are all of equal value across the spectrum of all jobs.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:43 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,156,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Simple living is what I want.
Your prayers will be answered soon, if they're not yet. It won't be long before most of us live a very simple life whether we like it or not.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:06 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,067,025 times
Hey you guys, stop arguing on my dang thread. I like this thread a lot and I don't want it shut down. I'm calling in the mod squad if ya'll don't settle down.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:09 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,067,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
42 years old, very good looking (hey I'll admit it)
Made millions in the IT sector back in the 90's
Owns 2 houses; 1 in Scottsdale and 1 in Minneapolis
Has quite a few high-end vehicles
And he is the romantic type....
Sounds perfect! I like men with lots of high-end vehicles...

Old 12-06-2007, 08:10 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,930,459 times
Quote:
I'm calling in the mod squad if ya'll don't settle down.
Mob squad member numero uno is here watching this thread.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:13 PM

3,567 posts, read 7,519,042 times
I think I feel the pain Lethal is feeling. When I went to university I studied accounting, and were it not for dumb luck I'd probably be some staff accountant somewhere in a company, mindlessly working on something stupid like receivables.

When I went to law school all sorts of "undesirables" asked for me when I graduated, including McDonalds and Whirlpool. These are companies that also need lawyers, you know, and accountants. It's just that they need them in a more general sense, and so they don't tend to pay very highly... and like, who really wants to say that they work for McDonalds? Even if they paid me twice what I make now that would never be something I'd admit up front. But it was good money they were offering, and admittedly I had to swallow my pride and put my resume out there. You just have to work your way up if you can.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:28 PM

428 posts, read 2,218,682 times
Green, I'm sorry but must respond to Lethal......yes, Yes, YES, I would invest 60k to make 40k 3 or 4 or 5 times!!!! Who wouldn't?

I've always lived quite a simple life, but am tired of doing so because I have to, would love to do so because I CAN.

I agree w/sunsprit that you may feel so bad about yourself even w/3 degrees, that you are sabotaging your interviews. I have done the same. NO more.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:23 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,160,033 times
Well I live simple because that's the way I was brought up, I'm old school. I never got into the keeping up with the Jone's thing. I keep it simple and make purchases that I can afford to pay for in cash (exception: home; car).

I can agree with Lethal on the issue of employers looking for the person who will accept the lowest wage versus the "best candidate". Now I will say that a degree is nothing to brag about these days because there are many kids coming out of college who have "not a clue" and are lazy as h*ll. But not all, just some!

Back to the original point:
1. We go out to eat rarely, maybe 1x every 3-4 months.

2. I don't shop for myself, most of my clothing is 3 years old.

3. I do have to have a telephone, internet, and cable

4. I am frugal when it comes to going out driving any long distances due to extremely high gas prices

5. We don't go to the movies very often (maybe 2-3x per year) and when we do go, it's on Sunday's before 3pm when the price is $4, anything later would be "uncivilized"

6. I check weekly circulars online for sales at the grocery stores and print/cut coupons. I write letters to companies praising them for their product or complaints when necessary - this usually gets me free coupons or merchandise

Let's see, I don't know, I'm sure there's more that we do but those are the things that come to mind.

Not much in savings because something always comes up which drains the account, but things will get better, I just continue to do what I do and as long as we have a roof over our heads and food on the table, i'm happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or