U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 11:02 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,195,107 times

Advertisements

So recently I've become very interested in the minimalist living, micro housing stuff. Another goal of mine is to be location indepenent and not have to work at a 9-5 where I have to show up at a specific place everyday.

I recently stumbled upon the whole concept of vandwelling. Basically buy a cargo van for like $1200 to $2000. If you wanna buy a Ford Transit or a Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter a bit nicer, newer and better gas mileage but also much more upfront costs. Anyhow, people build beds, shelving, sometimes composting toilets, solar panels, ac, sinks, stoves, you can really get as simple or fancy as you want.

Some people "boondock" and live on BLM government land for free and travel, some people "stealth camp" and live in walmart parking lots and others do it to travel.

I know not ideal for everyones fulltime living situation but I've been wanting to do more traveling but airfair and hotels make it prohibitive. I was considering buying a van. Some upfront costs but really not that much more than a single vacation to say mexico or something like that. WIth a van you could on long weekends drive a few states away, only expense is gas, make your own food, sleep in the van, don't pay for campgrounds stay in walmart parking lots or dispersed camping which is free.

I know the idea of living with a van isn't some new phenomenon remember spicoli from that teenie bopper movie the name is slipping my midn at the moment. Anyhow, I think technology with composting and chemical toilets, solar panels, lithium batteries has made it from roughign it to where you can live comfortably all be it in a smaller space just like you would at home.

I just recently stumbled across some youtube vids and sites and am fascinated with this idea. If your interested I'd suggest googling or youtubing vandwelling, cheaprvliving or glamping to get an idea what this is all about
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 11:13 AM

16,180 posts, read 7,095,017 times
Here's another resource - google vanabode.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:34 AM

8,095 posts, read 12,740,520 times
You might be interested in these threads over in the Camping Forum ...

converting cargo van into stealth camper

Econoline Van as a camper?

Anyone who lives in an RV?

Seems my Dodge RV Concept Would Work...

Van Living (not down by the river though)

Old 03-26-2014, 11:36 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Here's another resource - google vanabode.
Yeah there's a few different reddit forums about vanabode and vandwelling. Plenty of youtube vids with people showing their vans and setups as well as detailed how to's about pretty much everything. I'm a big fan of this site cheaprvliging which has various categories

Old 03-27-2014, 05:15 AM

1,866 posts, read 1,337,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
So recently I've become very interested in the minimalist living, micro housing stuff. Another goal of mine is to be location indepenent and not have to work at a 9-5 where I have to show up at a specific place everyday.

I recently stumbled upon the whole concept of vandwelling. Basically buy a cargo van for like $1200 to $2000. If you wanna buy a Ford Transit or a Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter a bit nicer, newer and better gas mileage but also much more upfront costs. Anyhow, people build beds, shelving, sometimes composting toilets, solar panels, ac, sinks, stoves, you can really get as simple or fancy as you want.

Some people "boondock" and live on BLM government land for free and travel, some people "stealth camp" and live in walmart parking lots and others do it to travel.

I know not ideal for everyones fulltime living situation but I've been wanting to do more traveling but airfair and hotels make it prohibitive. I was considering buying a van. Some upfront costs but really not that much more than a single vacation to say mexico or something like that. WIth a van you could on long weekends drive a few states away, only expense is gas, make your own food, sleep in the van, don't pay for campgrounds stay in walmart parking lots or dispersed camping which is free.

I know the idea of living with a van isn't some new phenomenon remember spicoli from that teenie bopper movie the name is slipping my midn at the moment. Anyhow, I think technology with composting and chemical toilets, solar panels, lithium batteries has made it from roughign it to where you can live comfortably all be it in a smaller space just like you would at home.

I just recently stumbled across some youtube vids and sites and am fascinated with this idea. If your interested I'd suggest googling or youtubing vandwelling, cheaprvliving or glamping to get an idea what this is all about
I drove a big rig over the road for 11 years, spending apprx 300 days on the road a year. I had a microwave, bicycle and small refrigerator on the truck.

At one point I got rid of my apartment and my only "ties" were a P.O. box, storage unit and an aol account. I felt as free as a bird.

I'd highly recommend your idea.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 PM

11,357 posts, read 6,424,031 times
Some of the class B RV (vans) look pretty cool for life on the road. I've seen some of them on Ebay for under $10k with under 90k miles. They have a little shower, toilet, outlets, bed, fridge, stove and AC/heat. A little expensive, but I'd feel better with one of those instead of a rigged up cargo van. After the journey is over, one could probably sell the van for 80% of the purchase price. Total out of pocket $2000 + fuel/maintenance.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:35 PM

12,826 posts, read 10,202,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post

I Youtubed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o

Old 03-28-2014, 12:21 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,177,730 times
Cheap RV Living.com | | Home

To simplify...

Old 03-28-2014, 01:50 PM

8,095 posts, read 12,740,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Some of the class B RV (vans) look pretty cool for life on the road. I've seen some of them on Ebay for under $10k with under 90k miles. They have a little shower, toilet, outlets, bed, fridge, stove and AC/heat. A little expensive,
Um, that's cheap.
At that price, it depends on your comfort factor if you'd trust the vehicle or not.

Mine was a 2000 with 98K+ in miles.
Sold it last September for $15K.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:10 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,514,756 times
I lived in my 88' Ford E250 conversion van for about a year in the past. Might do it again in the future some day, who knows? I had some pretty interesting adventures during that time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or