Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 05:49 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,037,421 times

Advertisements

It would never even occur to me to try to keep it. I'd call the bank and inform them of the error.

This did happen to me a few years ago, for $80. I had deposited $80 into my Bank of America account, and it was accidentally credited twice. So, I had an extra $80. When I noticed, I called the 800-number and sat on the line for about half an hour, getting transferred around every few minutes and retelling my story several times. Whatever...finally got somebody who said she would take care of it, and thanked me for my honestly.

Checked my online statement a few days later, and noticed that indeed, $80 was taken out...and then re-deposited again! So, still up $80 that doesn't belong to me.

I called them again, went through the same song and dance. Again, finally got somebody who seemed to understand and said they'd take care of it. Checked my account a few days later, and found that I was now up $160!! They had deposited an additional $80 instead of taking it out!

Called them AGAIN. Got a manager. Explained everything. She sighed deeply, and said, "Just keep it. It would cost more in man hours to get it straightened out at this point."

And so I did!

I wouldn't expect that same attitude with $30K, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 05:51 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,130,818 times
Call the bank.
That happened to me already.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:01 PM

36,974 posts, read 40,985,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I am currently trying to get my bank to take back $50 that isn't mine.

You knew it was a mistake, kid. You should have contacted the bank and not spent it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
It would never even occur to me to try to keep it. I'd call the bank and inform them of the error.

This did happen to me a few years ago, for $80. I had deposited $80 into my Bank of America account, and it was accidentally credited twice. So, I had an extra $80. When I noticed, I called the 800-number and sat on the line for about half an hour, getting transferred around every few minutes and retelling my story several times. Whatever...finally got somebody who said she would take care of it, and thanked me for my honestly.

Checked my online statement a few days later, and noticed that indeed, $80 was taken out...and then re-deposited again! So, still up $80 that doesn't belong to me.

I called them again, went through the same song and dance. Again, finally got somebody who seemed to understand and said they'd take care of it. Checked my account a few days later, and found that I was now up $160!! They had deposited an additional $80 instead of taking it out!

Called them AGAIN. Got a manager. Explained everything. She sighed deeply, and said, "Just keep it. It would cost more in man hours to get it straightened out at this point."

And so I did!

I wouldn't expect that same attitude with $30K, though.
I checked with my bank yesterday and was told to keep the $50. I tried!

Old 04-04-2014, 07:49 PM

541 posts, read 858,724 times
I would give it back if that happened to me. I guess a teen could be counted on to be irresponsible and go on a spending spree, but then, where are the parents in this? I would think they would teach him right from wrong (to give it back and not spend it)?

Old 04-05-2014, 01:31 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,108,532 times
I am a "Jr. and I used to bank in the same branch as my parents. For two weeks while I was away at college, the branch clerk entered their deposits into my account. I was a bit surprised when my account went from $260 to $1600!!

When I saw that, I gave the bank a call to get it corrected. Then, I called my parents and thanked them for their wonderful generosity!!

Old 04-05-2014, 04:41 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,384,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
depends on your situation. if i were an illegal mexican, i'd take the money and go back and "disappear" to mexico. if i were sick and had no money, i'd use it (cancer treatments, etc.). if i were close to death due to old age or something, i'd take it and give it away in cash to a loved one and tell the bank i gambled it away and i am ready for prison OR that i am senile and didn't realize that it wasn't mine. i certainly would try my best not to give it back. did the banks in america give money back to taxpayers that helped their bailout? did they give you your fees when you make a mistake by overdrawing or anything else? i will answer that question, ultimately, with such questions. tit for tat sounds good to me.
Yes, the banks did repay the gov't for the bailouts. There are plenty of reasons to criticize banks. That's not one of them.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:16 PM

22,192 posts, read 29,204,172 times
Not be a retard and call the bank and get it straightened out

Old 04-05-2014, 06:40 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,355,022 times
Call the bank and don't touch it.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:49 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,201,196 times
Like the Steve Miller band wrote, "Take the money and RUN"!

Old 04-16-2014, 06:27 PM

10,808 posts, read 14,875,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Call the bank.
Same here.

Sounds to me like the teen wasn't raised properly. Just because you find a wallet in the street with $100 in it doesn't mean the money is yours.

When the teen went on a spending spree he was spending stolen money, nothing short of that to be explained. He was a low level thief and a lower than scum dirt bag in my opinion. If he had been my son I would be bitterly disappointed.

The true integrity of a man is displayed by what he does when he thinks nobody is looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living