Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 03:58 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times

Advertisements

as posted above:
"percentage of unclaimed/rejected rebates"
is usually ~97%.
coupon/rebate "redemption rates"
declined in 2017 to 2.1%.

personally, i have received every single one of the rebates
i emailed/mailed during the last four years. the Free Tuna one,
is still in the courts after 5 years.
https://www.tunalawsuit.com/Home.aspx

too much information....
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ters-Spreading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 04:20 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
personally, i have received every single one of the rebates i emailed/mailed during the last four years.
Worked out the compensation rate?

Old 02-12-2019, 06:16 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,050,632 times
I got the Michelin rebate yesterday. It came in an envelope with a Cardholder Services return address. My name was misspelled. No mention of Michelin on the outside. It looked like the kind of junk mail you would throw away without opening.

I am not sure how to spend it. What I really wanted was a $20 bill and a $50 bill that I could put in my wallet without having to go to the bank. I glanced at the card agreement and saw that selling the card was prohibited.

There is no point in using the card to buy stamps, now that the cost of stamps has gone up. I already have enough stamps.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:20 PM

560 posts, read 599,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I got the Michelin rebate yesterday. It came in an envelope with a Cardholder Services return address. My name was misspelled. No mention of Michelin on the outside. It looked like the kind of junk mail you would throw away without opening.

I am not sure how to spend it. What I really wanted was a $20 bill and a $50 bill that I could put in my wallet without having to go to the bank. I glanced at the card agreement and saw that selling the card was prohibited.

There is no point in using the card to buy stamps, now that the cost of stamps has gone up. I already have enough stamps.
put it towards your eletric bill, Amazon balance... grocery shopping ...buy a money order... there are so many ways to spend it that is basically "cash"

Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
put it towards your eletric bill, Amazon balance... grocery shopping ...buy a money order... there are so many ways to spend it that is basically "cash"
The best thing to do with a cash card is use it, the entire value, as PART of another purchase. If you dink around buying small things with it, you'll end up with a residual value you never claim.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:43 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The best thing to do with a cash card is use it, the entire value, as PART of another purchase. If you dink around buying small things with it, you'll end up with a residual value you never claim.
We get gift cards from clients every Christmas. The same things we get as rebates. You can use them same as credit cards, and even if you have a tiny value left, you can use it up, and hand over the other gift card to complete the payment.

I just did it with a jewelry repair. Retailers do it all the time.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:43 PM

560 posts, read 599,326 times
Quote:
true.

That's why I dump everything on electric bill/internet/or water usually. Its easy, I dont have to come up with "extra" purchase and I can dump the whole thing in it. I received recently a 350$ mail in rebate and it went to electricity. I only pay about 40$ for electricity a month so for about 10 months I dont have to worry about paying the electric bill and neither have to remember to "spend" or waste the gift card. It is just sitting there with a credit balance on my bill.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:21 AM

1,065 posts, read 471,621 times
Quote:
I don't agree with this. I feel that the best way to use a cash card is to use it in it's entirety to pay of a recurring bill -- like electricity, phone, internet, etc. Even if you overpay for one month, it will carry over to the next.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:30 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
I got a $100 prepaid debit card for a survey. I just used it to buy an Aldi gift card and used that up. It can be tricky using the last few dollars and cents on those debit cards but the grocery store card was no problem.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:11 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
It actually isn’t tricky at all. Let’s say you have $4.62 left on a prepaid debit card. You buy $28.31 in groceries. Hand the clerk the card, she runs it, it take the 4.62 and leaves you a balance of 23.69. You can hand over a fresh gift card, or your own credit/debit card or cash. Easy peasy.

It’s only ridiculous if you try to zero out multiple gift cards, with tiny balances, and keep handing over card after card after card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living