Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:13 AM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times

Advertisements

I was raised in a frugal environment where my family never had a good financial situation and the same reality I have faced as an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 08:16 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,112 times
I have no motivation to be frugal. You only live once, so why skimp on living?

Old 04-29-2014, 08:34 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
One important thing my mother taught me is money management for which I'm thankful. When I was 41 and divorcing my 2nd mate, I knew that was it for me and I would be responsible for having money during my old age, if I were to live that long. My frugality stood me in good stead and now that I'm retired I'm reasonably comfortable and have even been able to help my grandchildren at times and they've repaid if that was the agreement.

I learned long ago that good clothing is often available at thrift shops. Not necessarily those that have a musty smell, but there a nice such shops here and there. I've bought many items from the dollar rack that can be worn to about any place and I go to several places where there is often a need to be well dressed. I realize it helps to be a small person since many items are in such shops because former owners have grown out of the size, but it's to my benefit.
One of my favorite blouses cost ten cents. lol I have several pair designer jeans from the dollar rack.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:35 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,826 times
I live a minimalist lifestyle because clutter causes me a lot of anxiety. A minimalist lifestyle & being frugal often go hand in hand.

» minimalist FAQs :mnmlist

Old 05-01-2014, 09:26 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,886 times
being frugal brings peace of mind for me.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:38 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I live a minimalist lifestyle because clutter causes me a lot of anxiety. A minimalist lifestyle & being frugal often go hand in hand.

I fully agree, and both are valuable concepts.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:36 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
I have no motivation to be frugal. You only live once, so why skimp on living?
A: Because it's possible to enjoy life without having a lot of stuff or spending a lot of money. Yes, you do need a basic level of income/stuff to be happy...but that required income/level of stuff is much lower than what most people think it is. Pretty much every economist/psychologist who studies the relationship between money and happiness has come to this conclusion.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:31 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post

My mother was a "collector", as were my grandparents. Being the only child and grandchild, I inherited a lot of stuff. I've never felt so liberated nor have I lived so "richly" as I do now that I've divested the majority of the stuff and the rest is on the way to being gone (through consignment shops, etc..). For me, it isn't about getting rich, being rich, etc... I don't mind spending our hard earned $ on the things that enhance our life-- dinner out with friends, a much-needed tool for the farm or a bottle of wine that we both enjoy. Money is a tool to be used to enhance life...that's it. I consider us both frugal and on the road to becoming minimalist. Yes, I do think that the two - frugality and minimalism - compliment each other but are not necessarily always found together. My mother was a perfect example of that

Old 05-05-2014, 07:18 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,509 times
I saw this article this morning, and I'm not sure if it fits but it IS definitely being frugal, Coffee Machine Cuisine - Coffee Machine Recipes - Delish.com

Old 05-05-2014, 07:58 AM

3,526 posts, read 3,730,365 times
1) Peace of mind
2) Saving
3) Investing
4) Freedom

The idea is to know what your expenses are ahead of time. Once you get a money management system down, although you actively manage it, it basically runs itself. This means that you become a free radical that can do whatever you want. The less I spend, the more money I can make via investments (potentially). That is not to say I am the greatest penny-pincher ever, but the system I use helps provide for all of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living