Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 01:58 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they may as well have called that the "millionaires special" to pay 2.18 for ground beef. 1.99 is what common folk like me pay when we are patient and wait for a sale. these days its rare to find it at 85%, but 80% with patience and it has been done recently.

but I mostly eat chicken since you can find that for 1.69 a pound with patience. 1.99 without too much patience for b/s chicken breasts. I love beef but I don't love it as much as it costs. I just bought 85% lean ground turkey for 1.99 a pound. it definitely didn't make my tacos as yummy as the beef but it did the job.
You will starve to death in DFW if you wait for ground beef to go to 1.99. So, you buy 80% fat? What do you do with 20% of fat? Sorry - food has to taste great. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen because I enjoy to see my folks eat. Doing the job - I could serve MREs with Sriracha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 06:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You will starve to death in DFW if you wait for ground beef to go to 1.99. So, you buy 80% fat? What do you do with 20% of fat? Sorry - food has to taste great. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen because I enjoy to see my folks eat. Doing the job - I could serve MREs with Sriracha.
im not even sure if you are saying 20% fat is too much or too little. how are you relating the 20% fat content to a bad taste? im also confused by the "doing the job - i could serve mre's with srircacha" no idea what you are talking about there. im glad you enjoy seeing your folks eat, everyone in my home eats good food also.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,702 times
Lightbulb Here is a website you can try for your SNAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by comediclove View Post
My question is on how to make the best of what little money I get each month? Does anyone have any ideas, books or sites that would be up this area? thanks yall
Try this place:

gimmedatmoney.com

It's all about food stamps, snap, wic and other government programs that provide free assistance to people in need,,,,,You should read the forums and see what's up and maybe you'll gain something useful or at the least see what everyone else is making ends meet with their snap.

As far as reading material does your local social services or DSS offer any free guides that they can send you? You should make a call or contact them to find out.

Someone said coupons don't help, I would dismiss that comment. You can use coupons at the dollar stores and get food products from as cheap as free to as little as fifty cents that otherwise would cost a dollar.

Last edited by beachbumme; 04-25-2014 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: bad html code

Old 04-25-2014, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 9,691 times
wow! thanks for all the helpful ideas! I am the OP and I just wanted to thank everyone who replied! All your ideas are being mulled over

I get about 100 a month and its just me on SNAP, some1 had asked about that.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumme View Post
Try this place:

gimmedatmoney.com

It's all about food stamps, snap, wic and other government programs that provide free assistance to people in need,,,,,You should read the forums and see what's up and maybe you'll gain something useful or at the least see what everyone else is making ends meet with their snap.

As far as reading material does your local social services or DSS offer any free guides that they can send you? You should make a call or contact them to find out.

Someone said coupons don't help, I would dismiss that comment. You can use coupons at the dollar stores and get food products from as cheap as free to as little as fifty cents that otherwise would cost a dollar.

That's a good idea about contacting my SNAP case worker and asking about literature. TY!

I will check out the website you mention. I appreciate everyones efforts

Last edited by comediclove; 04-25-2014 at 02:23 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 02:29 PM

I checked out the site you posted,,,
www.gimmedatmoney.com

This is sorta what I have been looking to find. Any others?

Someone mentioned a couponing site, does anyone know of any good ones? [someone just pm'ed me the link to www.redplum.com !!! this is all helping so thanks]

I have a printer so I can print up coupons. And yes, the dollar stores seems like a great place to work the coupons and all those dollar places seem to take snap so that's a huge plus on my part.

I am trying everything I can to save a few coins.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:08 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
But like any taxpayer I can get good and riled by stories about people using their SNAP
card to buy lobster, New York Strip, or ten cases of Twinkies.
Back in the days when people used books of food stamps it wasn't unusual to see a bunch of kids come in one at a time to buy a cheap piece of candy with a dollar food stamp. Then the mom or dad would come in with all the change to buy a pack of smokes.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:58 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comediclove View Post
I checked out the site you posted,,,
www.gimmedatmoney.com

This is sorta what I have been looking to find. Any others?

Someone mentioned a couponing site, does anyone know of any good ones? [someone just pm'ed me the link to www.redplum.com !!! this is all helping so thanks]

I have a printer so I can print up coupons. And yes, the dollar stores seems like a great place to work the coupons and all those dollar places seem to take snap so that's a huge plus on my part.

I am trying everything I can to save a few coins.
There's also Smart Source for general coupons. Various manufacturers will email coupons to you, like Pillsbury. Oh, and if you shop at Target at all, go to coupons.target.com and you can print those out. You can "stack" Target coupons with manufacturers' coupons to save more. I believe that some of the dollar stores, like Dollar Tree, if I remember correctly, accept coupons. You just have to watch sizes at the dollar stores, because they are frequently more expensive in unit price.

Another thing to remember re: coupons. If you have a store loyalty card for your grocer, and if they double coupons? They will not double coupons you have loaded to your card; it's better to take coupons in and use the physical ones.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:59 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Back in the days when people used books of food stamps it wasn't unusual to see a bunch of kids come in one at a time to buy a cheap piece of candy with a dollar food stamp. Then the mom or dad would come in with all the change to buy a pack of smokes.
Huh, back in the days of paper food stamps, my then-husband and I would buy small items with food stamps to get the change to buy things like TP, laundry detergent, and feminine products.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumme View Post
Try this place:

www.gimmedatmoney.com

================================================== ==============

The site says you can use your snap to buy fruit trees and seeds/garden plants. Now that's pretty cool. My caseworker failed to mention that fact.

Has anyone read the ebook they offer on that forum site? They are saying you can get more free stuff by just being on one of the free government programs. And that people are connecting their ebt card to get free fuel at gas stations?!! I still have more reading to do but so far I am trying to use everyones suggestions.

The couponing sites are awesome. Some of the coupons I have already got in my email box from signing up have been useful. And they are high value coupons, not cruddy ones. Now do I have to print up these coupons or if I just have one coupon can I show them my phone screen with all the processing numbers?

That would be real simple instead of spending even more money printing up the coupon and using up ink. One tip I haven't seen mentioned is that you prolly should only print up the coupons in black ink/grey scale.

No use making a colorful coupon only to hand it over. Now if I can just show them the digital coupons from my phones email, that would save me even more $$$. Does anyone do just that? Is it a hassle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living