Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 06:06 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times

Advertisements

Free movies at the library. Free concerts during the summer. So much entertainment out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 11:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
haven't read the entire thread so this may have been mentioned: check weekly grocery store ads, shop 90% buying merchandise on sale and plan weekly meals around sale items. Also buy and use a food saver, hardly anything will ever go bad if you use a food saver. You do not have to get the top of the line. I rarely buy anything not on sale and I rarely throw out any food. I can always find a use for what is in the fridge. You would be amazed how many meals can be made out of stuff you didn't know what to do with. A salad using those few snow peas, a small baby bok choy, a few radishes, maybe a couple green onions, a piece of bell pepper or sliced cuke that is about to go bad, and a handful of nuts with a dressing made from that little bit of mustard left in the bottle, a little lemon juice and a little oil.Of course you have to like to cook, use imagination and have the time to spend in the kitchen.

and yes, I like the idea of free entertainment, like summer concerts, but there are more areas that do not have them than do.

Last edited by nmnita; 01-21-2017 at 11:56 AM..

Old 01-21-2017, 07:13 PM

409 posts, read 484,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Did you buy it new? I have a twelve year old Ford F 150 with about 150,000 on the clock. We bought it when it was three years old and it has always worked hard to earn its keep. We were a bit more careful with it years ago; now it's a beast. It is worth every penny that we spent on it.

I'm so used to being frugal that I'm not even sure what is a good tip. Here's one: make and maintain friendships. Two, three or four brains working on a problem can result in savings on purchases and repairs.
We have a 20 year old T-100 with 146,000 miles on it. We bought it used when it was two years old for under $10,000 and paid cash, so we never had car payments. We have had to spend very little per year on maintenance. It's our only vehicle and has been a great truck. I can't agree more about not buying expensive new vehicles. To me, it seems like a waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living