U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 PM

3,814 posts, read 2,014,114 times

Advertisements

I work at Costco and I love it when people come through my register and give me great tips on everything from making berries last longer to cheap ways to make homemade febreeze. So I thought we could start a frugal tips thread.

I have a customer that buys all his berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries) from us and told me a great way to make them last longer and not waste any. Soak berries in white vinegar for 15 minutes and then completely rinse your berries clean. Dry them on a paper towel and then store in a clean dry container. This will help them last weeks longer than normal. I've done it....it works!

A member once told me that it was cheaper to buy Downy UNstopables and make your own febreeze than to buy febreeze. She said she takes 1 tablespoons of UNstopables and dissolves them in water (in a reusable spray bottle of course). You can spray this on your furniture and carpets and even your clothing.

So what great tips do you have to being more frugal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:47 AM

491 posts, read 572,636 times
You can use a king sized coverlet on a queen sized bed by turning it the "other way".
Situate is so the extra fabric is on the top by the pillows and you can cover the pillows like we used to do with bedspreads. That way you don't need shams. You do need to watch that the print works on the bed the opposite way is was intended. All over prints work the best. I find this works well when looking at used ones in thrift stores and garage sales, often the shams are missing but it doesn't matter. I have a neutral colored bed skirt which has worked with several coverlettes.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:13 AM

632 posts, read 663,686 times
Never pay full price for a haircut.

Almost everyone who cuts hair emails coupons, prints them in the newspaper,
or has special promotional discount days.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:56 AM

11,434 posts, read 19,456,640 times
Yeah -- don't use Febreeze at all. It's merely a perfume and does nothing real. It doesn't clean or remove odors... if you truly are worried about your sofa smelling, buy washable slipcovers.

I also don't use fabric softener, except on clothes that cling. Most of what we wear is cotton, so there is no need for it. I have a three year old bottle of Downy, I do one load of sweats a week in the winter, and I use half of the amount suggested.

The only house cleaning products I buy are Windex and toilet bowl cleaner (the one with scale remover). I scrub my sinks and bathtub with baking soda, I wash my floors with liquid dish soap (and not much of that), and I polish my furniture with a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice shaken well and applied to a soft rag. I was so done with buying a cleaner for this and a cleaner for that and none of them worked any better than baking soda, so IO stopped wasting my money.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:40 AM

1,809 posts, read 2,142,499 times
If you're worried about static from the dryer, wad up some aluminum foil and make about 3-4 balls. Toss them in the dryer with your clothes and no static. When the balls start getting squashed looking, throw them out and make new ones.

Paper towel soaked in vinegar will get rid of hard water stains in toilets and around sinks. It takes maybe half an hour or so, but no scrubbing needed.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:48 AM

8,095 posts, read 12,750,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The only house cleaning products I buy are Windex
Surprised you don't make your own!

Mom's recipe (I think she got it from her Mom, LOL):
1/4 c. rubbing alcohol
1/4 c. white vinegar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 c. warm water
Shake well, even while using.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:53 PM

11,722 posts, read 16,468,880 times
We do not drink Coke so leftovers get poured into the ... you guessed it ... toilet. 30 minutes and then flush.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:34 PM

983 posts, read 2,104,632 times
Costco chicken is the best.. usually eat it on 3 or 4 days, only 2 people so it lasts forever. I then use the bones to makes soup. That chicken lasts for a week, best $4.99 spent.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:14 PM

4,668 posts, read 5,912,134 times
I make my own soup stock, with left over meat bones and vegetables. We use a lot of stock, so I make it and freeze it in chunks to store.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:26 PM

5,284 posts, read 4,571,724 times
I just spent a delightful evening at the local community theater enjoying a wonderful play. It was free for me, because I signed up to usher. Best bargain ever!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living