Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,196,732 times

Advertisements

Yes and no. We've had several economic setbacks in the past 5 years, so part of me thinks "All of this frugality and I have nothing to show for it!" But, on the other hand, I live in a very high CoA area, so our finances would have been much worse had we not been so frugal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
People often say "You are in your 20s once. Gotta live it while you can"

Is anyone here who is older and WAS frugal at a young age and regrets not splurging more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 06:48 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,025,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Watch out! I got slammed for saying the same on another post.
People don't seem to get that point....
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to look for a firepower flower just in case.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:47 AM

7,022 posts, read 14,425,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why do you have to choose between living and being frugal? I traveled the world young because I was financially wise and frugal.
Because most people jump to the preconceived notion that you must spend a ton of money to live a good life.

Example: You can spend a week in Paris, London, Munich, or pretty much one European city for maybe $500 per person if you use Credit Card sign-in rewards to buy the roundtrip plane ticket, stay in hostels, and take public transportation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Watch out! I got slammed for saying the same on another post.
People don't seem to get that point....

See my status text.. for every rep point I earned, I've been slammed at least 5x.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,148,919 times
And it looks like he's not been back since he dropped a bomb of a post on the board. I'm starting to think people like this feel they are right and really don't want opinions. They just want to fight. Or start a fight.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:19 AM

32,528 posts, read 47,585,883 times
I know a lot of people who regret the opposite. They were not frugal when young and reached retirement age unable to support themselves, wishing they had saved something instead of blowing it all on goods that wore out and are long gone.

Being frugal does not stop you from having lots of enjoyable life experiences when young. Seriously, I think it is not "being frugal" that makes a dull life. It is that people turn down all their opportunities to have an adventure.

I've had lots of fun experiences in my life, but then, I never turn down an opportunity to have an adventure.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:38 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,174,718 times
I have been frugal my whole life to-date. I do not regret it one bit. Like others have said, I believe the frugality will provide me with more flexibility in the later years of life.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:13 PM

164 posts, read 195,038 times
Well, it makes sense to live the high life in 20s and 30s if you're not making much and try to make it a short sweet one.

For people like me, I'm planning to stick around for maybe a couple more decades and with discrimination against older workers, I don't plan on being in a position where I have worry about my finance when my employment opportunities are quite few and when I have health and family issues to worry about.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:50 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,800,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
People often say "You are in your 20s once. Gotta live it while you can"

Is anyone here who is older and WAS frugal at a young age and regrets not splurging more?
I did make some sacrifices, but overall I don't regret it. Now, in my early 40s I've reached the point where even if I lost my job tomorrow, I could probably skip saving for retirement altogether and I'd still be better off than most by retirement age. That gives me a lot of peace of mind.

I also agree that this whole idea of not being able to have a life if you're frugal is mostly nonsense. People are bad at predicting what will make them happy. They never consider the positive impact not being 100% dependent on paid employment will have on their lives.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:52 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,037,566 times
I wish I had been more frugal when I was younger.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:57 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,800,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Because most people jump to the preconceived notion that you must spend a ton of money to live a good life.
^^This^^ Times a million. We've had this message programmed into us since birth, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living