Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 12:46 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,441,296 times

Advertisements

We had cricket for several years, never had any issues. I decided to cancel a few months back when they switched from cdma to gsm and said that everybody had to buy new phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 04:07 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,449,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
right now im just looking to move over my wife's samsung note 4 that she has with verizon. im stuck in her contract until october and then im moving her over to cricket. ill need to figure out if her phone will work the same. i can downgrade myself but i cant downgrade the wife.

Hey Capt, loving Cricket myself...cant imagine paying that much every again for postpaid. Love how I went from .5GB to 2.5GB in 6 months with new plans....My biggest gripe is that my extended family doesn't believe how good it is in order to switch to family plan and save even more....they keep paying insane post paid $$ blindly....

btw- Verizon S4 will work on cricket- but only gets 4G not LTE ( hasn't made a real difference in my life to be honest- your wife prob won't even notice the difference).

Old 05-10-2015, 02:03 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,680,426 times
We have AT&T, $70 a month for both me and my husband. We each have unlimited text and talking. All we need. We were actually going to switch to cricket after doing research because it was cheaper but when we told att about our plan, they matched the price so we stayed (which is good, I hate the hassel of switching, we have always been happy with at&t)

Old 05-10-2015, 04:43 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,505,559 times
which cricket plan did they match? And cricket uses at&t so you wouldn't be any less happy. Well they throttle cricket's 4G to about 8mbps but that's still good

Old 05-10-2015, 06:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
I have my wife on this special retention contract with Verizon and will switch when it runs out. the problem is that it only has 1 gig of data, which is usually enough. if she goes over, it goes from about $60 to a little over $100. it looks like she went over on the very last day of this past cycle. if it was a cricket situation where the data just slows down rather than adding more data for a fee, I would be much better off. I cant wait until that Verizon contract runs out so I can once again say "forget you and your contracts too."

Old 05-10-2015, 11:18 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,085,747 times
Quote:
I have my wife on this special retention contract with Verizon and will switch when it runs out. the problem is that it only has 1 gig of data, which is usually enough. if she goes over, it goes from about $60 to a little over $100. it looks like she went over on the very last day of this past cycle. if it was a cricket situation where the data just slows down rather than adding more data for a fee, I would be much better off. I cant wait until that Verizon contract runs out so I can once again say "forget you and your contracts too."
Tmobile will buy out your contract but I'm not sure if you can take your phone with you. Their rates are good and I know several people who have it and claim the reception is as good as Verizon. Sprint also has a contract buy out deal but I absolutely hate Sprint, I was with them for 10 years, their 4g lte network is still spotty and 3g is so bad that you can't load a webpage. I don't use my phone a lot so I went with Ting and went from around $70 a month to a little under $30.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:43 AM

14,612 posts, read 17,424,739 times
Quote:
Total wireless is a new brand by Tracfone that works exclusively on Verizon network. Three phones cost $75 for unlimited talk and text, and $85 for ut&t plus 9 GB of shared data (3G only).

You can bring a compatible CDMA phone, but I think it must be 3G. You may have to turn some of your current phones into tablets.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:49 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,449,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Total wireless is a new brand by Tracfone that works exclusively on Verizon network. Three phones cost $75 for unlimited talk and text, and $85 for ut&t plus 9 GB of shared data (3G only).

You can bring a compatible CDMA phone, but I think it must be 3G. You may have to turn some of your current phones into tablets.

Looked into this- Verizon 3G is SLOW. Also LTE capable phones won't work at all (not that they wont get LTE- they wont work at all)so you'll need to buy a new outdated phone most likely.
Cricket you could get the same three unlimited talk and next for 75 and that includes tax- i think Total is + tax. Three with 2.5 GB of LTE data and unlimited 2G after that would be 90 inlclusive of tax - and thats with any GSM phone.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:14 AM

14,612 posts, read 17,424,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Also LTE capable phones won't work at all (not that they wont get LTE- they wont work at all)so you'll need to buy a new outdated phone most likely.
ATT MVNOs Comparison By Price and Features
This website seems pretty inclusive, listing all MVNO by network and highlights the cheapest ones. You can quickly determine which are 3G and LTE.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
I am still very happy with cricket and I was satisfied with my moto e. unfortunately, I dropped my phone and the screen broke. my wife kept telling me to get a case but I refused and I guess it was a bad decision. Id much rather not use a case but it seems necessary since my phone has only lasted me less than 4 months. luckily, it only cost me about $75. so the question is what to buy. im thinking of going for a better phone but not sooo much better that it costs me too much. right now I see the moto x 2nd generation is 299.99. they are coming out with a new model at the end of the month, im hoping the price will drop for the 2nd gen and Ill get that. I prefer a phone that isn't very wide (I like the iphone 5s dimensions but its too expensive and I don't really want to go back to apple). id like it if the moto x 2014 were a little less wide.

sony xperia z3 compact looks pretty decent on paper, Ive never seen one in person.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 07-18-2015 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living