Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:07 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
We currently have a really good deal with ATT for internet and TV with DVR. Pay about $85/month. The promo is due to run out in two months. I'm going to ask them if they can keep the promo going. If not, I'm looking for some options.

I like network TV and watch some other channels like USA, TNT etc. I think I can live with just the basics - maybe the channels that you can get with the antenna. The only thing is that I absolutely LOVE the DVR. We have a baby and a dog and it's great to just be able to pause, go take care of them and then come back and resume watching. I don't like the idea of streaming online because the shows aren't available right away, you have to hook up the lap top etc. Maybe I can suck it up.

How does the antenna work? What do I need to buy? Can I buy a digital recorder that's not from the cable company? Kind of like a VCR but digital.

Any other options? I see this Amazon fire TV but haven't read up on it. It would be nice to access the content through some sort of device rather than a lap top. I don't have a smart TV. TIA.
Magnavox makes DVRs (MDR533, MDR535 or MDR537)that works with cable or antenna (Over the air TV). It can be a little time consuming to set up but you can record to the hard drive or to a DVD. I have used it for about a year now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 11:27 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Is this the website you tried?

AntennaWeb - Address

If not, try it. They will tell you the stations you will get and the size and type of antenna you will need for your address. There is no such thing as an HD antenna. It's just marketing term. Generally a big outdoor antenna is the best.
Yes, that is the website and it gives me no stations whatsoever. I tried on another website (TV fool) and at least it gives me some moderate and weak stations.

I am aware of the antenna situation. Have one rabbit ears from way back when in the garage and actually tried it indoors with one smaller LCD TV that I could move up to the 2nd floor and I got two stations and the quality was great too. Just wondering how many I would get if I went through the hassle of the outdoor installation. While at it, I would probably buy an antenna that has an amplifier too.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:54 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Yes, that is the website and it gives me no stations whatsoever. I tried on another website (TV fool) and at least it gives me some moderate and weak stations.

I am aware of the antenna situation. Have one rabbit ears from way back when in the garage and actually tried it indoors with one smaller LCD TV that I could move up to the 2nd floor and I got two stations and the quality was great too. Just wondering how many I would get if I went through the hassle of the outdoor installation. While at it, I would probably buy an antenna that has an amplifier too.

Well if you got in two channels with rabbit ears, I can only assume a larger more powerful roof antenna or attic antenna would pull in a lot more (preferably roof). But you need to get the right type of antenna. Are your stations both UHF and VHF? If so, you need an antenna capable of pulling in both. Are they coming from different locations and angles, or are they in one pretty central direction? Are they more than 35 miles away?

If you call one of the companies that sell antenna's. There is one listed on one of those sites you pulled up and give them your physical location, then they can recommend one for you. The only consideration is your terrain. If you are situated right next to a large mountain, it could block your signals, or if you are located in a heavily wooded area with lots of tall trees blocking the path, that will also interfere. But as I said, if you got two channels all ready with an indoor antenna, that is promising.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:02 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Not to sound snooty or anything but I just didn't watch TV for about eight years at one point because I was working a lot and I was renting in an area with a bad signal: most of the neighbors had 15' towers by their homes. This was back before cable.

I remember feeling lost for about the first two weeks, and then I adjusted. I read a book at those times I would've watched a show (late evening). I listened to the radio for the news, and there were better local news programs in those days.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:57 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Get a roku box. No need for a laptop. You can get quite a variety of shows and no special TV needed.
This is what we did. We also got an antenna for over-the-air channels. Haven't had cable or satellite in almost four years and we DO NOT miss it at all!

Old 07-06-2014, 05:08 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,759 times
We have two antennas in our attic, pointed at two different sets or transmission towers. The lines are T'd together with a signal amplifier. We used directional antennas for a stronger signal pull. We get about 40 stations. We tried several small "in house" antennas but they just don't compare to larger units. Also check that the antenna can get channels 2 through 69, so that you can capture all possible stations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living